Homebrew Rescuing homebrew from Google Code

FoolsRun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
As you may know, Google Code is shutting down at the end of this year. Google Code also seems to house most of the most recent and best Wii modding tools and apps. While some notable apps like Nintendont have made the switch to GitHub (as is suggested by Google), many other vital tools (like USBLoader GX) haven't.

Anyone can export projects from Google Code to GitHub, so older, unmaintained projects could be exported by anyone.

So I'm trying to drum up interest in rescuing the Wii homebrew scene from Google Code's impending doom. Does anyone have suggestions on how best to approach this?

Reactions: Margen67

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a similar thing going for ROM hacking tools, it is not quite as troubling there though.

For the most part it looks like you get to do it yourself. You might end up unintentionally creating a fork (in the traditional sense of the word rather than git parlance) but better than than lost source I guess.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe search GBAtemp, Wiibrew, etc. for Google Code links, and set up a program to automatically export them to GitHub?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, probably the scouter