[Request] Sonic 1 SMS Remake Wii U Port

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd say it's more of a port with some features, not a remake itself.
I would call it a remake if it was done in the Mania engine or the decomp engines in the style/graphics of proper Sonic 1, but yeah this is a port.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I see a couple of roadblocks here:
  • the remake is currently closed-source. There's no code for the original PC/Android version or any of the other console ports like Vita or Switch. Obviously those ports do exist, so that roadblock has been surmounted before, but then we come to the issue that seems far more likely to prevent this happening ...
  • the discontinued open-source version of the engine is built with GameMaker Studio. GMS does not support Wii U as a build target, either officially or unofficially. This is explicitly the reason why Undertale never came to Wii U (or 3DS) either, because it's a GameMaker game so it would need to be rewritten from scratch, as the entire game is written in GML
Now, it's possible that the current, closed-source version is no longer GameMaker-based, but the fact that all currently supported platforms are ones which GameMaker can export to is highly suggestive that it is.

All that in mind, in order to get a Wii U port of this, you'd need to find somebody who wants to ingratiate themselves with a team of developers in order to be given access to their privately held source code so that they can completely rewrite the game in an entirely different programming language, on top of the normal work of getting a port up and running like CPU endian fixes, a new graphics backend tailored to GX2, etc., while also avoiding the use of any copyleft libraries, which would clash with the closed source nature of the code and make any release a license violation.

In all likelihood, that person does not exist.

Reactions: sonictopfan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY