Request for a thorough guide for translating a PSP game from scratch.

nphuracm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Read a lot, but still can't find a good guide for my situation. So I decided to open a new thread along with the tons of similar threads already present here.
I now have a copy of Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, PSP build. Considering no good translation for this build is present on the Internet, I decided to do on my own. Possibly creating one of a language other than English/Japanese.
I would like to be able to jump straight into working though, so I would like a guide for me to cover everything (lengthy or not) explaining how do I get started, like what tools do I need and how do I actually translate the text. It can also be quite specific for this game that I plan to work on.
I want guides that look like this one: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Porting_to_a_new_device, that explains everything I need and what I need to do step-by-step, so I can simply read through and do along with it, and be immediately able to create a translation out of it.
More specifically, I want to be told how to:
>Extract game assets
>Edit these assets using typical text/image editing techniques/software
>Repack edited assets
Can someone please teach me how to do the job?

Last edited by nphuracm,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. Nobody is going to do such a thing. Any way the devs can make a file there is probably a historical example of them doing it and thus you get to either get an appreciation in most things (not needing to be expert but general familiarity) or figure it out on a case by case basis.

Reactions: britain4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Read a lot, but still can't find a good guide for my situation. So I decided to open a new thread along with the tons of similar threads already present here.
I now have a copy of Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, PSP build. Considering no good translation for this build is present on the Internet, I decided to do on my own. Possibly creating one of a language other than English/Japanese.
I would like to be able to jump straight into working though, so I would like a guide for me to cover everything (lengthy or not) explaining how do I get started, like what tools do I need and how do I actually translate the text. It can also be quite specific for this game that I plan to work on.
I want guides that look like this one: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Porting_to_a_new_device, that explains everything I need and what I need to do step-by-step, so I can simply read through and do along with it, and be immediately able to create a translation out of it.
More specifically, I want to be told how to:
>Extract game assets
>Edit these assets using typical text/image editing techniques/software
>Repack edited assets
Can someone please teach me how to do the job?
Sometimes, there are dedicated tools for editing text in specific games. For most games, you don't have that luxury, and you have to write tools yourself, or figure out where the text is stored and figure out the character set so you can use generalized tools. There are hex editors that allow you to import a character table or set the character set, but they generally aren't very useful for editing text, only for figuring out where text is stored, because the text must be the same length or shorter than the original.
If you can figure out where text is stored and the character set, you can feed that info into Cartographer+Atlas to extract and insert text. Mostly, they are used with older consoles, but in theory they can work for anything. It won't help you edit graphics though, that's more of a manual job.
You can find some information on how to use Cartographer+Atlas and graphics editing tools like Tile Molester (not sure how useful that tool would be for PSP, it's just an example) but there are no specific guides, each console works differently and each game uses different formats, so you have to know how to use the tools and be able to figure things out yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: need to have official info from N