Replacing the entire console shell

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone with experience replacing their shell?

How crucial is removing the rails from the console? I stripped my screw on the right rail and have run out of options for easy fixes... I'm now considering buying a rotary cutter just to gouge a line back on the screw head (and adjacent parts) to remove it. Right joycon ribbon got damaged anyway so I have a replacement ready to go.

I was just thinking maybe I should just remove and replace the shell entirely. But I dunno how crucial removing the joycon rail is to the process. Does it hold the front part of the switch too? Is there anything involved?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone with experience replacing their shell?

How crucial is removing the rails from the console? I stripped my screw on the right rail and have run out of options for easy fixes... I'm now considering buying a rotary cutter just to gouge a line back on the screw head (and adjacent parts) to remove it. Right joycon ribbon got damaged anyway so I have a replacement ready to go.

I was just thinking maybe I should just remove and replace the shell entirely. But I dunno how crucial removing the joycon rail is to the process. Does it hold the front part of the switch too? Is there anything involved?

You will absolutely need to get the rails off to replace the shell. Replacing the shell is a difficult process because you have to remove the screen too. You’re better off addressing the screw issue directly.

https://www.sosav.com/guides/game-consoles/nintendo/nintendo-home/nintendo-switch/frame/

Reactions: peteruk

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Like mentioned above you need to remove the rails because the switch housing has 3 layers:
1. Front layer that has has the screen and digitizer.
2. Middle part that has the motherboard, the battery, etc (pretty much all of the innards).
3. Plastic and tin backplate.

All of these parts (except the back heatspreader) are connected at different points to the joycon rails so its important to remove them carefully. There's special drillbits online that can help you remove those screws. You can also try placing a rubber band on top of the screw and then try to turn it left with your screwdriver, another option would be to draw a straight line over the tip of the screw with a dremmel so you then just use a flat screwdriver to take it off.

Last edited by Waicol,
Reactions: binkinator

raylgo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone. Got in touch with a shop that does shell replacements. Might as well send it to people who have the right tools.

And lesson learned, don't go to cheap ass shops. Asked for a resoldering of the motherboard connector for the sd card module, he did that and damaged the right rail ribbon too... Doesn't have the right tools to remove it...

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Got in touch with a shop that does shell replacements. Might as well send it to people who have the right tools.

And lesson learned, don't go to cheap ass shops. Asked for a resoldering of the motherboard connector for the sd card module, he did that and damaged the right rail ribbon too... Doesn't have the right tools to remove it...
Fucking savages out there man. Sorry for your bad experience. Good luck with your repair!

mr_switch

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Man I had the same exact problems with striped joycon rail screws but mine was due to oxidization plus wear and tear. Was trying to replace them with new sets of screws and new back plate.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Man I had the same exact problems with striped joycon rail screws but mine was due to oxidization plus wear and tear. Was trying to replace them with new sets of screws and new back plate.
You should have put a small amount of wd40 on it, and left it for about 20 minutes, then you probably would have got it out easier.

Reactions: mr_switch

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JIS screws (almost Phillips…but just a little different) can be a factor as well:

965A27D0-6202-4AF6-8DD0-BC55A4469E7B.jpeg

https://www.ifixit.com/Item/JIS_000_Screwdriver

More information about JIS:

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/difference-between-japanese-jis-phillips.html

• Wow
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1