Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Custom CIAs do NOT run outside of gateway mode. You lose Gateway mode if you upgrade to system 9.4 on sysnand. Exactly how does it continue to function after that? Where it goes if installed outside of emunand isn't the main issue here. It's the claim that someone is running this on native fw 9.4 which doesn't have emunand and can't run Gateway mode to enable execution of unsigned code that's the real question here.

it's not a custom cia. amen.
if you choose to not believe two (i'll say it myself, excuse me) good members (myself and gamesquest1), then whatever. - just please do not use this.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
it's not a custom cia. amen.
if you choose to not believe two (i'll say it myself, excuse me) good members (myself and gamesquest1), then whatever. - just please do not use this.

That makes no **king sense at all. So you're telling me Nintendo made this CIA? Seriously? Any CIA not created by Nintendo or a company authorized by Nintendo to release content on their console(s) is third party and therefor "custom" and is not signed properly to run on a system nand that has not been exploited to run unsigned code. The way you're trying to explain this is just making me more suspicious....

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can install this and continue using gateway Emunand?? I don't want update my 4.4 sisnand, just want use my acekard blocked.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
That makes no **king sense at all. So you're telling me Nintendo made this CIA? Seriously? Any CIA not created by Nintendo or a company authorized by Nintendo to release content on their console(s) is third party and therefor "custom" and is not signed properly to run on a system nand that has not been exploited to run unsigned code. The way you're trying to explain this is just making me more suspicious....

No shit it's made by Nintendo. It's the DS card whitelist.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi, the video shows the blue card running on 9.4 sysnand. How did he do it if the file could only be run on 4.5 with devmenu? Was it installed first, then updated to 9.4 later?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
No shit it's made by Nintendo. It's the DS card whitelist.

So this basically overwrites an existing file on the sysnand with an official file from Nintendo that had existed on fw 1.0? How is it that this file does not get overwritten with the with the newer version that blocked all the cards the old one didn't when someone updates to version 9.4 then? Even if they don't update to the previous versions of firmware since fw 4.5, the 9.4 update and any others since then and in the future will include the newer file which blocks the cards this cia purports to unblock.

I don't doubt the possibility that it works on exploited firmware in gateway mode or perhaps on 4.5 sysnand outside of gateway mode after you mentioned how it works (or so you claim, did you make this software? I don't recall seeing the original poster of this thread mentioning you as the author of this program or a contributor to it)

It would help us all out a lot if the original poster at least tried to describe exactly how it works instead of only saying that it works. :P

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So this basically overwrites an existing file on the sysnand with an official file from Nintendo that had existed on fw 1.0? How is it that this file does not get overwritten with the with the newer version that blocked all the cards the old one didn't when someone updates to version 9.4 then? Even if they don't update to the previous versions of firmware since fw 4.5, the 9.4 update and any others since then and in the future will include the newer file which blocks the cards this cia purports to unblock.

He maxed out the version number of the title. This way nothing can be overwritten.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Which means he modified the file. How does it continue to work now that it's modified and no longer signed? Encryption and signing are separate things. You can re-encrypt game roms for example using the same keys that decrypted them. But it's not signed anymore and an unmodified console won't boot it.

This is why "Sky3DS" can't run homebrew or modified games.

So this file isn't signature checked? Even non executable files have to be signed to work on sysnand without bricking it. At least that's what I've been led to believe. Did Nintendo not lock down the part of the file that reports the version of the file on sysnand? Then why not modify the version firmware version string so it thinks it's on like version 11 or something and you never have to go through update prompts to use eShop. That's basically what's happening here.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Which means he modified the file. How does it continue to work now that it's modified and no longer signed? Encryption and signing are separate things. You can re-encrypt game roms for example using the same keys that decrypted them. But it's not signed anymore and an unmodified console won't boot it.

This is why "Sky3DS" can't run homebrew or modified games.

So this file isn't signature checked? Even non executable files have to be signed to work on sysnand without bricking it. At least that's what I've been led to believe. Did Nintendo not lock down the part of the file that reports the version of the file on sysnand? Then why not modify the version firmware version string so it thinks it's on like version 11 or something and you never have to go through update prompts to use eShop. That's basically what's happening here.

He just changed the version. The actual title that gets installed is unmodified.

Reactions: Margen67

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I noticed he mentioned that this is a "DSi mode" title so that means it's DSi software? So the resulting file it modifies resides in the DSi section of the firmware that handles the DSi (and most likely DS mode as well) execution? I can see that happening. The DSi end of the system wouldn't be as secure as the 3DS environment. If that's the case, Nintendo dropped the ball on that.

If this program is indeed proven to work on 9.4 and gets noticed by Gateway. Nintendo will notice it as well. The spoofed version would fool normal system update from updating it. But that won't prevent Nintendo from simply implementing a check in the next update to see if there is files on the sysnand that has a version that doesn't exist yet. In that case the update will just overwrite it with the version it has. It sounds like something that can easily get blocked. So keep an eye on that when 9.5 or perhaps version 10.0 comes out early next year. Depending on how quickly it gets noticed and the timing of the next update.

Perhaps you can provide a version of the file for emunand users that actually modifies the white list and not just the version string. This would then allow older flashcarts like the original R4 to work. It wouldn't be safe to use on sysnand, but when Gateway's support for 9.2 comes out, I can see myself using this on my emunand. Though if I get a Gateway, that means I will also get their blue card which this is already shown to work with. But you never know, I might try and save a little money and try and buy one without the blue card since I have a 3DS on 9.2 already and already own an R4 that I used previously on my DS Lite. :P

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
He maxed out the version number of the title. This way nothing can be overwritten.
Precisely. Let's say the hacked version number is 99999.99. When attempting to update to 9.4 (or any other version for that matter) the system will report back that the installed version (99999.99) is newer than the version it's trying to install (9.4) so it will ignore that title (folder/file/whathaveyou).

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I noticed he mentioned that this is a "DSi mode" title so that means it's DSi software? So the resulting file it modifies resides in the DSi section of the firmware that handles the DSi (and most likely DS mode as well) execution? I can see that happening. The DSi end of the system wouldn't be as secure as the 3DS environment. If that's the case, Nintendo dropped the ball on that.

IDK maybe it's installed under twln. Anw the DSi portion should be as secure as the 3DS side.
Perhaps you can provide a version of the file for emunand users that actually modifies the white list and not just the version string. This would then allow older flashcarts like the original R4 to work. It wouldn't be safe to use on sysnand, but when Gateway's support for 9.2 comes out, I can see myself using this on my emunand. Though if I get a Gateway, that means I will also get their blue card which this is already shown to work with. But you never know, I might try and save a little money and try and buy one without the blue card since I have a 3DS on 9.2 already and already own an R4 that I used previously on my DS Lite. :P

That probably won't work.

KentaZX

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so inorder to use this you need a gw and dev menu, and gw needs a ds flashcart to boot.
so pay $80 to unblock old ds mode carts?

Wondering about this too, do we need the gateway still just to get this to work? or can I just go ahead and put this in my SD card, and it will show up in the menu to load?

or we need devmenu first? which in that case since im on past 9.2 firmware im screwed since that works only in 4.5?

Melon__Bread

~It's A Magik~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering about this too, do we need the gateway still just to get this to work? or can I just go ahead and put this in my SD card, and it will show up in the menu to load?

or we need devmenu first? which in that case since im on past 9.2 firmware im screwed since that works only in 4.5?

Need acess to devmenu for this to work, so yeah you would need a gateway

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cearp
3 suggestions for you
1. stress that it is absolutely imperative that no one installs ANYTHING to SysNAND unless a backup of the NAND for that version is made and archived.
2. redo your release as a patch(or series of patches) of the official software with step by step instructions as each user can duplicate the steps. (Since I can guarantee that in its present state, it won't last on the forum if the official GateWay launcher can't be listed here.)
3. Or disregard the above and remove link to it but post somewhere else that will be more friendly and then pastie/pastebin it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: