nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh man, this is awesome news. I seldom use the Wii U at this point, but it was my favorite console back then (I got it the launch day and those were some glorious days) and this makes me happy. Thank you to all the involved on bringing us all these awesome exploits. Hats off to you!!

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just replaced haxchi with Tiramisu, now and everything works fine.

I assume any homebrew that one would want to load on bootup (like sdcaffine for custom themes via "layered" filesystem) would need to be specifically compiled as an rpx module? It's not as simple as renaming the .elf to .rpx?

Or does the lite version of mocha that already comes with tiramisu already allow loading of layered files from the sd card?

it's a lateral movement. You need to uninstall CBHC first before doing anything in regards to moving towards tiramisu. From what I understand, Tiramisu is slightly "safer" than CHBC because the payload loader gets injected into the health and safety app so the "hijacked" application can't accidentally be moved to USB storage or uninstalled. Even a system reset will leave the payload loader intact with Tiramisu.
"Tiramisu is slightly "safer" than CHBC"
only slightly?? I never installed CHBC because of the risks of bricking ... should I also not install autoboot on Tiramisu too if it only slightly safer?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Tiramisu is slightly "safer" than CHBC"
only slightly?? I never installed CHBC because of the risks of bricking ... should I also not install autoboot on Tiramisu too if it only slightly safer?
Tiramisu is significantly safer than CBHC, since you're no longer reliant on a specific DS game working. Doing something like formatting the system will not brick the system with Tiramisu.

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tiramisu is significantly safer than CBHC, since you're no longer reliant on a specific DS game working. Doing something like formatting the system will not brick the system with Tiramisu.
that's what I thought.. thx for confirming it.. just installed tiramisu and autoboot :) works great so far!

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have haxchi, not cbhc, you "can" keep it. it's not a problem to do so.
Just remember to NOT run both at the same time. for example, if you set Tiramisu as autoboot, then don't run haxchi to access HBL or it'll try to re-patch the kernel. just run Miimaker instead.
You could still use Haxchi shortcut for example, instead of Haxchi Kernel patcher. If you changed haxchi config to automatically patch the kernel when not pressing a button, you might want to edit the config file to prevent patching it accidentally (or even completely remove the kernel patching from the config file, but keep it, you never know when you'll need it) and keep only the shortcuts :)

Personally, I'll keep both.
Like Maschell said, the guide tell the users to delete it only to be cleaner. and you can play the NDS game again if you like.
But if you know and understand what you are doing, you can keep it.

@Maschell :
Can we use Haxchi to launch HBL and run the payloadInstaller ? I suppose not as github says "it needs to be installed from the injection itself".
It would be more stable to launch HBL from haxchi first than trying to launch the web exploit, freeze and reboot and clear cache.
Can't it be a homebrew elf? Or does it requires to be a web exploit to launch payload.elf ?

thx man! I uninstalled haxchi to be clean.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Given Wii U is probably the slowest booting console of all time, does Tiramisu get to the menu faster?

I guess it is exactly the same time as CHBC, but I wonder if there's any difference in this regard.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given Wii U is probably the slowest booting console of all time, does Tiramisu get to the menu faster?

I guess it is exactly the same time as CHBC, but I wonder if there's any difference in this regard.
it's faster, yes. there's no "autobooting" screen. I guess it's probably the same speed as a normal wii u.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil

Well... It allows you to use quick start, and this feature was designed exactly for that reason, it is definitely faster than CBHC.

Reactions: trogdon

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, all modules being loaded MUST be .rpx?

i have a module called swipswap that's a .mod, would that work with tiramisu's autobooting protocol?
or can it be converted to .rpx?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, does this also possibly support loading a homebrew app at boot (before the quickstart menu preferebly I guess?) like PriiLoader? If so, that'd be awesome since then I won't need to launch Bloopair every time I wanna use my dualshock.
Based on what I read, you can add the bloopair rpx to the tiramisu environment, and it will be launched with it. It had an update that included the necessary rpx to be added to tiramisu.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/bloopair-connect-controllers-from-other-consoles-natively.594289/

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Based on what I read, you can add the bloopair rpx to the tiramisu environment, and it will be launched with it. It had an update that included the necessary rpx to be added to tiramisu.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/bloopair-connect-controllers-from-other-consoles-natively.594289/
Nice! Now to just get rid of CBHC (that is, if the installer/uninstaller will actually OPEN and not just go back to hbl..)
(EDIT: turns out you have to reboot the whole system to open apps that were freshly installed from the hb app store. my bad)

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a lateral movement. You need to uninstall CBHC first before doing anything in regards to moving towards tiramisu. From what I understand, Tiramisu is slightly "safer" than CHBC because the payload loader gets injected into the health and safety app so the "hijacked" application can't accidentally be moved to USB storage or uninstalled. Even a system reset will leave the payload loader intact with Tiramisu.
That's what I thought. I'll probably get around to it eventually but for now I think I'll just leave it alone.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, how do I make the mii maker not load the homebrew launcher? I still have the shortcut from back when I used CBHC, and now that tiramisu is installed, it still works perfectly, so I don't need mii maker to be a HBL-loader.
As stated somewhere, when you open Mii Maker, it takes you to the HBL. Exiting that takes you back to the Mii Maker. You can also have a dedicated Homebrew Channel installed, but it won't disable the Mii Maker-to-HBL thing.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country

That's what I thought. I'll probably get around to it eventually but for now I think I'll just leave it alone.

Conversely, I'd say it's a definite upgrade and not a lateral move. In addition to the reduced brick risk, you also get support for modules and environments.

Modules are little standalone tweaks that (in Tiramisu) run on launch. Right now, the main one to be excited about is Bloopair, which allows you to use other consoles' controllers on the Wii U right from boot. It's likely modules will continue to be released, so any non-Tiramisu/Aroma setup will fall further behind the capabilities and customisability of Tiramisu.

Environments are the different things you can boot into from launch--Tiramisu is just one of these, there's plans for a Pretendo Network environment and Aroma will be another environment. While there are other ways to do some of these things, you can expect this to become the standard for certain purposes.

Lastly, Haxchi has always been kind of an ugly hack from a developer perspective, forcing them to work around its quirks to get their homebrews running. Tiramisu is much cleaner and easier for devs to work with, so you'll probably begin to see homebrew support for Haxchi drop off as devs lose interest in dealing with problems stemming from legacy CFWs.

So, how do I make the mii maker not load the homebrew launcher? I still have the shortcut from back when I used CBHC, and now that tiramisu is installed, it still works perfectly, so I don't need mii maker to be a HBL-loader.
You can delete sd:/wiiu/environments/tiramisu/modules/setup/50_hbl_installer.rpx, which is the module that installs HBL to Mii Maker.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...