Pokemon Rising Sun and Waning Moon
v 2.0
Works for both Pokemon Moon and Sun!
Download & Information:Google is your friend
Feedback is much appreciated and NEEDED
HOMEBREW IS REQUIRED
HOMEBREW INSTALLATION: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
UPDATES POSTED HERE: https://twitter.com/KobeRobsahm
Download & Instructions: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By0T413LWAPQaXpEZWpiS3hldlU
NOTICE:

It has come to my attention that my old download links and instructions were within the gbatemp rules. I am not linking any actual roms, or full romfs files. I am only linking the individual edited files required to play Rising Sun & Waning Moon. If this is threatened to be taken down once more, I ask that mods first look and tell me why the Nova Sun/Umbra Moon mods do the same and have remained up.

Please ask if you want to upload this elsewhere, or at least give credit back to this post or my twitter.
Lets start off with some context. Currently, pk3DS allows us to edit the trainers and move sets of pokemon within Pokemon Sun and Moon. I decided to go ahead and create a challenge mode of sorts, similar to that of Pokemon Blaze Black/Volt White. Currently editing wild encounters!

Changes:
  • Trial Captains and Kahunas now all have teams of 6 Pokemon.
  • Level curve greatly changed. Team should be in high 70s/low 80s by the end of the elite 4.
  • Trainers have Pokemon not usually seen in Alola.
  • Movesets of weaker Pokemon is finished.
  • Youngster Joey has a top percent Rattata.
  • Wild encounters up until the post game are finished! Have fun everyone!
  • Custom music for post game returning trainers.
  • Almost every Pokemon has access to their hidden ability.
U42cJcx.png
FWhOC2l.png

IARcrst.png
hzwXlBt.png
IHBUAuF.png
UCPDYoJ.png
cvq352D.png
HHR42RO.png

Video demonstrations:
A NOTE ABOUT INSTRUCTIONS:
THE EASIEST METHOD IS GETTING A CFW, DO IT WHILE YOU CAN.
Instructions: (CFW Required for this method. See other method below if you don't have a CFW) I also still need to make the method easier for Pokemon Sun users, sorry!

THINGS YOU NEED:
- Latest nightly build of luma. (Get this through the .cia updater)
- The hack's GARC files (the stuff that actually overwrites the original assets) Get it from the Google Drive link

New and Updated Instructions! About time!

Luma Game Patcher Method:
    • Create a folder named titles inside luma.
    • Create a folder with the game's title id as the name (0004000000164800 for Sun, 0004000000175E00 for Moon) inside titles.
  • Create a folder titled romfs within luma/titles/(titleID)
  • Place the "a" and "data" folders within the "romfs" folder.
  • Make sure "Enable Game Patcher" is checked in luma3ds setup.
  • Start Sun/Moon
Thats it! Easiest way to tell if its working is by starting a new game or checking your Trainer Passport.

FOR POKEMON SUN USERS: RENAME THE "3" FILE IN a\0\8\ TO "2"

Layeredfs: (These instructions only apply if you use the Layeredfs files)

The LayeredFS feature allows you to replace RomFS files with files on the SD card for most games. To use it:
  • Create a folder named titles inside luma.
  • Create a folder with the game's title id as the name (0004000000164800 for Sun, 0004000000175E00 for Moon) inside titles.
  • Create a folder called romfs in the game's folder.
  • Place the "a" and "data" folders within the "romfs" folder.
  • For example, to use LayeredFS with Pokémon™ Sun, make a folder named romfs , put your replacement files in it, then put romfs in 0004000000164800.
FOR POKEMON SUN USERS: RENAME THE "3" FILE IN a\0\8\ TO "2"

Todo:
  • Re balance according to feedback.
  • Re balance Pokemon move sets and stats once tools are available.
  • Add in last few Pokemon. (Some starters, legendaries, etc.)
  • Finish documentation on the various changes.

Credits:
  • Creators of the tools pk3DS, extract repack, etc.
  • Drayano, for being a cool guy that's better at hacking than I am
Sellout:
I'm a filthy sellout. Follow me on twitter to know when major updates for the romhack come out. https://twitter.com/KobeRobsahm

Last edited by Kobazco,

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the pokemon caught illegal?
Once I get around to stat and move set changes, most likely. If I keep the moveset changes within the scope of their learnable moves via TM, eggmoves, and move tutors, they will not be illegal. So, for now, they are not illegal as far as I can tell.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. I hope a a CIA with a custom title and baner is possible.
Eventually, yeah it would be possible. The only issues that arise are the following.

• I don't have a CFW on my N3DS to test it out a CIA.
  • I have no art skills what so ever for a custom title or banner, as amazing as they would be.

Reactions: Blue

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahem. I guess I can call this the release of v0.3!

Changelog:
  • Rebalanced the last few fights of the main story line.
  • Gladion and Hau's last main story fights have been buffed by 2-3 levels.
  • The Elite 4 matches have all been nerfed by 3-5 levels.
  • The Champion fight has been nerfed by 3-4 levels.
  • All Post game fights have been reduced from mid to high 80s to high 70s to mid 80s.
  • Begun changing dialogue to reflect post game Special Trainer matches. (Cynthia, Wally, etc.)
  • Begun work on revamping the Battle Mall(Cafe? Restaurant thing) to be an area where you can rematch trainers instead. (Will include Gladion, trial captains etc.)
  • Fixed various broken movesets on trainers with 6 Pokemon. (For some reason every other big fight has one messed up Pokemon.)
Also make sure to check out the Important Trainers document if you are curious about battles like Rivals and Island Captains/Kahunas! Its part of the Google Drive folder from the master post.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why is it that these rom hacks never strike a reasonable middle ground between the current one pokemon per trainer and the overdoing it everyone gets 6 pokemon?
you're pitting the player with their subpar ivs, evs, natures and lack of eggmoves against some rather overwhelming forces

the game would be moderately challenging yet still enjoyable for most people if all trainers on the first island got +1 pokemon, all on the second +2 and most trainers afterwards betweeen +1 and +3.
with the average encounter level raised by 10-20% or so. don't even need all those crazy moveset an base stat changes.

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is it that these rom hacks never strike a reasonable middle ground between the current one pokemon per trainer and the overdoing it everyone gets 6 pokemon?
you're pitting the player with their subpar ivs, evs, natures and lack of eggmoves against some rather overwhelming forces

the game would be moderately challenging yet still enjoyable for most people if all trainers on the first island got +1 pokemon, all on the second +2 and most trainers afterwards betweeen +1 and +3.
with the average encounter level raised by 10-20% or so. don't even need all those crazy moveset an base stat changes.

For the most part, many of the trainers have between 2-5 Pokemon. I'm following a personal theme that I enjoy, which is having all of the Trial Captains/Kahunas (Gym Leaders) having a team of 6. The rivals still get a steady amount of Pokemon and don't instantly start with 6.

Currently, I can't change anything regarding encounters. Trust me, the wild Pokemon would be much different if I had the power to update them.

Lastly, this hack is greatly inspired by Drayano, creator of the Pokemon Blaze Black and Volt White Rom hacks. As such, its difficulty is styled in that way. Although nothing right now is even close to being set in stone (v0.3) and many balancing changes are still going on. This was released to you guys mainly for feedback. I always release mods like this because I believe the best way to make a romhack/mod is to have as much feedback as possible. As such, thank you for your feedback.

Edit: Forgot to mention this, but default Pokemon Sun and Moon actually have fully EV and IV trained Pokemon late game, so you can't really complain about that.

Last edited by Kobazco,

VeniaSilente

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Nice to hear about a SuMo (well, Mo) hack already. So I have some thoughts.

• One thing I have noticed is the naming: Rising Sun and Waning Moon. While I presume that's part of the Drayano-inspired stylistic with the second game always having the "worse" word (Sinking Sapphire, Wilting Y, etc), couldn't help but feel that it's kinda unsatisfactory, given how nice a region like Alola is I feel like Moon could use a more uppity name. I think it'd be especially fitting for Sun and Moon given how much the games make use of a less opposite but more complementary concept - day and night, and with timezones you can never say it's never night when it's day, and then upcoming Eclipse Stars... etc. Plus, it *is* the game you are "selling" for first.
  • I more or less mirror @Clydefrosh's feels re: difficulty. Back when I tried playing the X/Y and OR/AS romhacks, it could be seen from the very beginning that Drayano and followers were trying too hard - first gym leader had already a +15 level advantage, 6 Pokémon with extensive type coverage, all with 31 IVs and probably using Smogon-competitive sets (didn't check for EVs), whereas the player is just limited to what they can find in the early routes and aprox. 12 hours of grinding, or they must start the game and trade over for a competitive team right off the bat. Without intending to offend, sometimes these hacks feel less like intended for a harder but still Pokémonesque challenge and more like gaming tuning for Smogon-set Nuzlocking. So I'm ATM reticent about expectations for the final product, and after the first tests will look with caution.
  • Usually, changing the types or stats of mons is an instant nono for me, but this new Generation has been so... weird, that I'm willing to wait and see what you will do with it. How much do you think you need to change, considering GameFreak already went bonkers with some stat changes? (Farfetch'd comes to mind INSTANTLY)
  • Do you think you'd eventually add more double battles to the game? Depending on if the tools are available and if the game "feels" like more double battles I guess, but I was wondering if you also got that same "feels" I did.
  • Will there eventually be changes to the Pokémarts / Pickup table too?

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i can only access HBL 11.1 but......i will definitely keep a lookout for this and hopefully be able to play it. It seems very promising great work so far.

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love all these pokemon rom hacks. However, There's one thing that all these rom hacks tend to overlook...when you make the trainers harder to beat, you force your team to get stronger, quicker, and as a result of that, one thing stands out. Remember the whole thing where pokemon dont listen to you until you have a certain amount of badges? (Or in this case Grand trial stamps) I think you guys should edit the badges/Grand Trial stamps to make them allow higher level pokemon when yall do these hacks because... if the hack makes pokemon at level 60 by the 3rd badge, and by the second badge you're only allowed up to level 40, the pokemon stop listening and it gets annoying, very. Of course you could hack to have all the badges but thats no fun..

Shazamo333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love all these pokemon rom hacks. However, There's one thing that all these rom hacks tend to overlook...when you make the trainers harder to beat, you force your team to get stronger, quicker, and as a result of that, one thing stands out. Remember the whole thing where pokemon dont listen to you until you have a certain amount of badges? (Or in this case Grand trial stamps) I think you guys should edit the badges/Grand Trial stamps to make them allow higher level pokemon when yall do these hacks because... if the hack makes pokemon at level 60 by the 3rd badge, and by the second badge you're only allowed up to level 40, the pokemon stop listening and it gets annoying, very. Of course you could hack to have all the badges but thats no fun..
just make sure ur pokemon like you. They will listen if they have high affection. You get soothe bell pretty early in sun/moon so that will help

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well just woke up, looks like its time to put your minds at ease.

Nice to hear about a SuMo (well, Mo) hack already. So I have some thoughts.

• One thing I have noticed is the naming: Rising Sun and Waning Moon. While I presume that's part of the Drayano-inspired stylistic with the second game always having the "worse" word (Sinking Sapphire, Wilting Y, etc), couldn't help but feel that it's kinda unsatisfactory, given how nice a region like Alola is I feel like Moon could use a more uppity name. I think it'd be especially fitting for Sun and Moon given how much the games make use of a less opposite but more complementary concept - day and night, and with timezones you can never say it's never night when it's day, and then upcoming Eclipse Stars... etc. Plus, it *is* the game you are "selling" for first.
  • I more or less mirror @Clydefrosh's feels re: difficulty. Back when I tried playing the X/Y and OR/AS romhacks, it could be seen from the very beginning that Drayano and followers were trying too hard - first gym leader had already a +15 level advantage, 6 Pokémon with extensive type coverage, all with 31 IVs and probably using Smogon-competitive sets (didn't check for EVs), whereas the player is just limited to what they can find in the early routes and aprox. 12 hours of grinding, or they must start the game and trade over for a competitive team right off the bat. Without intending to offend, sometimes these hacks feel less like intended for a harder but still Pokémonesque challenge and more like gaming tuning for Smogon-set Nuzlocking. So I'm ATM reticent about expectations for the final product, and after the first tests will look with caution.
  • Usually, changing the types or stats of mons is an instant nono for me, but this new Generation has been so... weird, that I'm willing to wait and see what you will do with it. How much do you think you need to change, considering GameFreak already went bonkers with some stat changes? (Farfetch'd comes to mind INSTANTLY)
  • Do you think you'd eventually add more double battles to the game? Depending on if the tools are available and if the game "feels" like more double battles I guess, but I was wondering if you also got that same "feels" I did.
  • Will there eventually be changes to the Pokémarts / Pickup table too?

• Waning Moon was actually my personal favorite of the names, but I'll keep other naming ideas in mind.
  • So somethings you guys seem to be forgetting with this romhack is that I have personally gone through the game and play tested it myself. The level curve currently works quite nicely actually. I only blacked out twice in this game, once at a Guzma battle and the next time against Acerola. By the time I fought the first Captain, I was around the same level as him, maybe 1 or 2 levels below. If you fight all of the trainers before getting to that point in the game, you should be high enough level no problem. The only grinding I had to do was near the start of the game, and it didn't even last that long at all. After that, I never really had to grind again. Mainly because I couldn't because the wild Pokemon were way weaker than me. But nonetheless I managed quite well and my team stayed about the same, if not overleveled of the Trainers. Seriously, almost everything you said in your second point was an assumption and doesn't quite apply here. Yes, the game is very difficult, but not as much as you say. My personal team throughout the game was Incineroar, Alolan Raichu, Alolan Muk, Slowbro, Drifblim, and Lycanroc. Hardly competitive.
  • Stats and Types. First off, I'm only really going to change types of Pokemon that are stupidly weak, (Bugs, Farfetch'd speed stat, etc.) Rest assured, I don't have too many plans for the stats. Types wise, there's nothing I really want to change. Can't think of any off the top of my head except Gen 5 starter Pokemon but thats it.
  • Yes, I might add more double battles to the game when the tool is there.
  • I can actually edit Pokemarts, and keep on forgetting to do so. I can't change pickup items yet however.

This only applys to trade Pokemon. I had a full team of Pokemon mid 60s-low70s on fighting the last Grand trial, and not once did I have the Pokemon disobeying me issue throughout the game. Rest assured, this won't be an issue.

Also this is for everyone, keep in mind that this is still in very early stages. Personally, I think the mid game levels need more tuning, and a lot of the trainers can be more unique than they currently are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On a different note, I've got more Post Game content to share!

v7iQfDX.png
AFOzWsz.png
gB3k91Z.png
0lKGYGV.png
bzPA412.png
byydsh0.png
DXqXWtv.png

Last edited by Kobazco,

jpmasterflex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah...on the last grand trial, where you have a couple stamps that allow up to lv 70 at least...so of course it wouldn't matter then im talking about in the beginning before the first or second trial,

Kobazco

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah...on the last grand trial, where you have a couple stamps that allow up to lv 70 at least...so of course it wouldn't matter then im talking about in the beginning before the first or second trial,
Trust me, I went through about half of the game over leveled. By the time I was beat the second trial my Pokemon were mid-high 30s. When I arrived on the 3rd Island all of my Pokemon were around level 40. You guys will be fine if you are over leveled, your Pokemon will still obey. I had a level 72 Alolan Raichu by the 4th Grand Trial and it still listened to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory