Hacking [RELEASE] PFBA: Portable Final Burn Alpha - official thread

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Cpasjuste has done a lot of work recently on PFBA. For example he added analog control support (!).

I briefly played with the latest version that has all of his changes applied, and it seems to work very fine. So I compiled an updated .vpk of PFBA Vita_Mod ready for download. If anybody wants to try it out, the download is here:

https://github.com/rsn8887/pfba/releases

Please post if you find any problems with it, compared to previous version.

Changelog:

- merged latest commits by Cpasjuste as follows:
- PFBA: add option to configure menu(s) button(s)
- PFBA: add analog support (after burner 2, outrun...)
- PFBA: add NO_KEYBOARD flag to disable keyboard configuration
- FBA: fix wrong colors on konami games
- FBA: fix eeprom (nvram) loading/saving
- ARM: fix nec cpu (irem, raiden...)
- PFBA: fix readme.md suppression
- FBA: update to 0.2.97.40
- GUI: change menu code (use submenus, should improve smaller resolution systems)
- COMMON: add skin font size configuration​

Last edited by rsn8887,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Hm. I was hoping this update would improve performance on some games. Ninja Spirit by Irem is still pretty slow. Is there any way to boost speed apart from turning on frameskip?

Reactions: julio.apc16

rez78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cpasjuste has done a lot of work recently on PFBA. For example he added analog control support (!).

I briefly played with the latest version that has all of his changes applied, and it seems to work very fine. So I compiled an updated .vpk of PFBA Vita_Mod ready for download. If anybody wants to try it out, the download is here:

Changelog:

- GUI: change menu code (use submenus, should improve smaller resolution systems)
now title like chase hq,after burner ecc run very very slowly!

Reactions: julio.apc16

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I like pfba a lot, thanks to authors, just to remind, a slow game might be worth to try on retroarch emus too. For Sunset Riders i got about 37-38 fps in pfba, mame core in last nightly retroarch gave me a solid 60 fps. It has some graphical glitches but nothing too bad, increased fps is well worth it.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
rez78:

I think the update of FBA cores from 0.2.97.39 to 0.2.97.40 might be the cause for the slow-down in Chase HQ. Just for you to test, I compiled the old version that used FBA 0.2.97.39 together with analog support:
http://www.coolatoms.org/pfba-chasehqtest.vpk

Please test it. If Chase HQ is fast in the above version, and analog control works, then it is probably the update to 0.2.97.40 that caused the problem.

Last edited by rsn8887,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I cant seem to add PCEngine games on this.
Games are set as e.g Soldierblade.pce

FBA is picky with romnames just like Mame. So the games have to be zipped with correct names of zip files AND correct names of pce files inside zip. The datfile with all the information can be found here:
https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/tree/master/dats

For example looking at the dat file, I see that "Soldier Blade Special" has to be named "soldblas.zip," with a file inside called "soldier blade special - caravan stage (japan).pce".

Honestly, it is way too much work to rename them yourself. You can of course use CLRMame or other Rom utilities to re-build your own roms into a working set, but I would suggest you just download a complete romset for FBA 0.2.97.40 from somewhere. Find a set that includes all the pce games correctly zipped and with correct names.

rez78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
rez78:

I think the update of FBA cores from 0.2.97.39 to 0.2.97.40 might be the cause for the slow-down in Chase HQ. Just for you to test, I compiled the old version that used FBA 0.2.97.39 together with analog support:
http://www.coolatoms.org/pfba-chasehqtest.vpk

Please test it. If Chase HQ is fast in the above version, and analog control works, then it is probably the update to 0.2.97.40 that caused the problem.
I've tried...and games like afterburner,enduro racer,outrun,outrun 2, run much faster than last release. Chase hq it seems the same.
Thanks

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I've tried...and games like afterburner,enduro racer,outrun,outrun 2, run much faster than last release. Chase hq it seems the same.
Thanks

Interesting. Well, they might be faster but I don't think any of those games will ever run in full speed on the Vita without frame skip. I tried the Final Burn and Mame cores in Retroarch and those particular games are slow there, too.

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this a good alternative to Neo Geo and CPS1/CPS2 emulators for PSP?

I've only tried a handful of NG roms, and several CPS 1/2 roms and it works very well. You don't need to fool around with making those cache files and wasting memory card space. You can add an image preview to the roms. It's overall very good.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you switch regions and BIOS's for Neo Geo Games? I have Adrenaline on my Vita, and some emus I like on PSP more (NES, GBA), and I don't really like Retroarch's interface - although doesn't Retroarch support screenshots and themes?

Last edited by XC-3730C,

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Changelog:

Thanks once again man :) Was so busy with another project that i forgot to update it there !

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
FBA is picky with romnames just like Mame. So the games have to be zipped with correct names of zip files AND correct names of pce files inside zip. The datfile with all the information can be found here:
https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/tree/master/dats

For example looking at the dat file, I see that "Soldier Blade Special" has to be named "soldblas.zip," with a file inside called "soldier blade special - caravan stage (japan).pce".

Honestly, it is way too much work to rename them yourself. You can of course use CLRMame or other Rom utilities to re-build your own roms into a working set, but I would suggest you just download a complete romset for FBA 0.2.97.40 from somewhere. Find a set that includes all the pce games correctly zipped and with correct names.

Have tried with new 0.2.97.40 and it still does not accept PC Engine/SGX anyone out there manage to get these working?

File names are good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast