Hacking [RELEASE] PFBA: Portable Final Burn Alpha - official thread

Ankry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Thanks for this great port! I love it :-)

Just one small thing: I noticed that in some games (e.g. Shinobi) the Test Menu comes up instead of the service menu, when pressing the required button combination (Select+Square). Any way to get into Service Mode?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many versions of unibios, but it works only with version 3.2. Are you sure you have the correct file named "uni-bios_3_2.rom" in your neogeo.zip file? You can download that bios file from the official unibios page, since it is public domain.

It sounds like you can play fine but you are not really playing with unibios. If you are playing with a working unibios, you should be able to press a+b+c during boot to access the unibios menu were you can change all kinds of settings.
I get that same error message, the neogeo bios itself works fine but when i download the unibos part, rename it and put it in my neogeo zip file the error message pops up. the unibios itself works fine since i tried out the jukebox mode, just that message pops up.

Last edited by cvskid,

Phowie30

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, new to the scene and i'm really interested in this emulator as it looks fantastic!! Awesome work cpasjuste!! I'm hoping someone can help me... being new to this i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, i can't find any answers using google. i keep getting an error each time i try to load a game. I downloaded and am using the recommended romset. Every time i try to load a game, i get the following error: WARNING LOADING PROGRAM (EPR-1107.58)... (NOT FOUND) The code in the brackets may refer to the specific game i was trying to load, its different for every ROM. If anyone can be of any help, i would really appreciate it. If i have posted this in the wrong section, many apologies.

Thanks again for any help :)

George miller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you close a game in order that you can keep the software modifications you made to the game for the next time, for example i go into soft dip and change english to spanish and I play the game, when I want to go back to the menu in order for it to save, any keys i have to press? If i just exit stuff doesn´t save. Thanks again for your help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do you close a game in order that you can keep the software modifications you made to the game for the next time, for example i go into soft dip and change english to spanish and I play the game, when I want to go back to the menu in order for it to save, any keys i have to press? If i just exit stuff doesn´t save. Thanks again for your help.

OH I JUST REMEMBERED, IS START AND SELECT. Also is there a way to get this nagging message off? " Unibios doesn't support the m68k asm core cyclone asm core disabled"

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by rsn8887,

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New release fixes flickering borders when not using the "FIT" display option.

The release is at the usual place (pull request to cpasjuste made):

www.github.com/rsn8887/pfba/releases

Changelog:

• PFBA: fix flickering borders if FIT is disabled

I'm getting this flickering still in 1.13 for NG games.

I deleted the old version (1.09) from the bubble, deleted all of the old folders, then reinstalled this new version. It's not a big deal to stop it after it occurs, just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting this flickering still in 1.13 for NG games.

I deleted the old version (1.09) from the bubble, deleted all of the old folders, then reinstalled this new version. It's not a big deal to stop it after it occurs, just wondering what I'm doing wrong.

The reason for the remaining flickering is a missing file "uni-bios_3_2.rom" inside the zip file neogeo.zip in your rom folder. The unibios will not be loaded, and an error message is displayed that causes the flickering. The missing bios can be downloaded from the official site here http://unibios.free.fr/download/uni-bios-32.zip . You have to extract it, rename it to uni-bios_3_2.rom exactly, then add it to your neogeo.zip file.

I also just uploaded a new version to GitHub that fixes the flickering. But unless you do the above, you will not be playing with a working unibios.

https://github.com/rsn8887/pfba/releases

• PFBA: Fix some remaining flickering borders

Last edited by rsn8887,

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using the uni-bios for the last 6+ months with FBL on my Xbox and also it works on this emulator...I'm just getting the sides flickering sometimes. Thanks for the update, I'll try it later.

George miller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@rsn8887 do you have the old background image of PFBA? I think it had Haggar and other stuff in a white backgroud, i want to use it and change it, since i dont like the black Galaga one, please? :)

Last edited by George miller,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
@rsn8887 do you have the old background image of PFBA? I think it had Haggar and other stuff in a white backgroud, i want to use it and change it, since i dont like the black Galaga one, please? :)

You can find it just go to github.com/rsn8887/PFBA/releases , download a sufficiently old version, rename vpk to zip find the image and put it into the latest version by renaming to zip, adding file, and renaming back to Vpk, for example.

Panzer_Baboon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your unibios is already working than it might be some other remaining bug that causes flickering.

I you find the exact steps to reproduce the bug I can try to fix that one, too.

It pretty much happens for me with every NG rom over 15mb played for the first time. It shows the unibios screen, then loads the flickering green screen, and then the sides start flickering until exiting the game, or changing emulation settings. But the next time and every other time the game loads fine. (ASM core disabled screen > loading bar > Universe Bios screen > game)

I always use:

Scaling - FIT 4:3
Filter - Point
Shader - Sharp
Show fps - No
Frameskip - Off
Neobios - Unibios 3 2
Audio - On

I don't change any button settings or anything else for NG roms.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Please try version 1.14 from github just to make sure your bug is not already fixed.

Just to make 100% sure, please check that your "universe bios screen" looks like this (but with version 3.2 not 3.3):

IMG_6702.png

Not some gray rectangle "warning" window asking you to press a key, right? If you get a "warning" window and not the above universe bios screen then your Universe bios is not working correctly in PFBA.

Otherwise, if you still get flickering even with the latest version, we have to find a way how I can reproduce the problem on my system because I don't see the flickering you mentioned. Once I can reproduce it I can fix it hopefully.

Is there an example rom that loads pretty fast where you see the flickering? Is there still flickering if you use some other bios, different than unibios?

Last edited by rsn8887,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: