Hacking [RELEASE] PFBA: Portable Final Burn Alpha - official thread

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this support samples? I'm missing all the sound from Mario Bros. and some of it from Donkey Kong. If it does, where should I put them?

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, then there are games that require multiple joysticks. Crazy Climber 2 and Tutankham don't work properly with pFBA. Any way you can add support for these?

Snowbro88

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, cpasjuste i have a question.

You think that it is possible to reach full speed and without frameskip on difficult boards like Data East, Konami, Taito, Irem, Sega, or it is simply what the unlocked power of the console gives for now or maybe forever.

One last request if posible access the menu in another way for example with the front touch, because in fat vitas is difficult.

Thanks for all friend.

Sorry for my english, i speak spanish.

Reactions: julio.apc16

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
New release of pfba_mod. I simply pulled the latest change from Cpasjuste's repo and recompiled.
https://github.com/rsn8887/pfba/releases

• PFBA: add option to change neo-geo bios (hyln9)
Note: For Unibios support, the file uni-bios_3_2.rom must be present in neogeo.zip

btw: Retroarch Vita also keeps getting better... some games, such as Contra, are faster on Retroarch's older FBA core. PFBA is based on the latest FBA code. So it might be slower, but might sometimes be more accurate.

Last edited by rsn8887,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
In the latest version, the default neogeo bios is unibios. But when unibios is selected, the fast assembler-based cyclone core that handles Motorola 68000 chip emulation is disabled. This is true in any game, even in non-neogeo games.

Therefore, if you are running a non-neogeo game which might make use of 68000 emulation, make sure to go to options and select a different neogeo bios to re-enable the fast cyclone 68000 core. I tested this with Air Gallet and it runs much faster if I select a neogeo bios different from unibios and reload the game.

Thiago Souza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
In the latest version, the default neogeo bios is unibios. But when unibios is selected, the fast assembler-based cyclone core that handles Motorola 68000 chip emulation is disabled. This is true in any game, even in non-neogeo games.

Therefore, if you are running a non-neogeo game which might make use of 68000 emulation, make sure to go to options and select a different neogeo bios to re-enable the fast cyclone 68000 core. I tested this with Air Gallet and it runs much faster if I select a neogeo bios different from unibios and reload the game.
Thanks for the work!

Thiago Souza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Is it possible to change the default bios of neo geo in pfba.cfg? I would like to leave AES Japan.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to change the default bios of neo geo in pfba.cfg? I would like to leave AES Japan.

I think so. I think you can just edit the config with a text editor and change the default.

BTW: I fixed this annoying issue that selection of NeoGeo UniBIOS (the default) was disabling the fast cyclone core for all games. Now it is only disabled for NeoGeo games. The release is at the usual place (pull request to cpasjuste made):

www.github.com/rsn8887/pfba/releases

Changelog:

• PFBA: UniBIOS disables asm core only for Neogeo games

Last edited by rsn8887,

barak06

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!
Everything' great. thx for this release ! Just a little pb

For my SNK roms, it says " Unibios doesn't support the m68k asm core cyclone asm core disabled" then load graphics then "loading bios prgm (uni-bios 3 2.rom .... not found"
Then the screen goes green with artefacts and then i can ply the game in 4/3 format BUT i can see the list of my games on both sides with a light flickering, wich is very annoying

viewer.php

Any hint ? thx

n.B. i put neogeo.zip with unibios in it and lot of bios in the roms dir

Last edited by barak06,

barak06

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!

For my SNK roms, it says " Unibios doesn't support the m68k asm core cyclone asm core disabled" then load graphics then "loading bios prgm (uni-bios 3 2.rom .... not found"
Then the screen goes green with artefacts and then i can ply the game in 4/3 format BUT i can see the list of my games on both sides with a light flickering, wich is very annoying

viewer.php

Any hint ? thx

Ok found select + up/down to change scaling

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok found select + up/down to change scaling
Hi!

viewer.php

Any hint ? thx

There are many versions of unibios, but it works only with version 3.2. Are you sure you have the correct file named "uni-bios_3_2.rom" in your neogeo.zip file? You can download that bios file from the official unibios page, since it is public domain.

It sounds like you can play fine but you are not really playing with unibios. If you are playing with a working unibios, you should be able to press a+b+c during boot to access the unibios menu were you can change all kinds of settings.

Reactions: cvskid and barak06

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0