Hacking Release of Mephisto

Daeken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mephisto, the successor to Cage the Unicorn, has been released by Team ReSwitched. CTU was a super hacky emulator originally designed to run small snippets of code, and it didn't scale well to running large amounts of code. Mephisto has been built from the ground up for speed and can run sysmodules at essentially native speed. Just like CTU, Mephisto does not and will not play games. Features:
We're really proud of what we've accomplished with this and we can't wait to see what people do with it from here.

D

Deleted User

Mephisto, the successor to Cage the Unicorn, has been released by Team ReSwitched. CTU was a super hacky emulator originally designed to run small snippets of code, and it didn't scale well to running large amounts of code. Mephisto has been built from the ground up for speed and can run sysmodules at essentially native speed. Just like CTU, Mephisto does not and will not play games. Features:
We're really proud of what we've accomplished with this and we can't wait to see what people do with it from here.
Forgive me if I sound pushy ahead of time, but a few questions:

1.) Will this also function as a testing environment for libnx as it continues to develop? In other words, would this emulator be able to run Homebrew generally 1:1 as it would be expected on the switch?

2.) Not sure how much you and plutoo communicate, or your awareness of the state of this, but I'll ask anyways: I see in libnx that it's very baseline; what are the general plans for opengl support? And if that's upcoming, can I assume as those changes are added to libnx, those features will be reflected within this emulator?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) Will this also function as a testing environment for libnx as it continues to develop? In other words, would this emulator be able to run Homebrew generally 1:1 as it would be expected on the switch?
This. I understand that the purpose of these emulators are obviously not to play retail games, but will they at some point be updated with graphics and input functions so that developers can get a head start with developing homebrew for the console?

Daeken

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me if I sound pushy ahead of time, but a few questions:

2.) Not sure how much you and plutoo communicate, or your awareness of the state of this, but I'll ask anyways: I see in libnx that it's very baseline; what are the general plans for opengl support? And if that's upcoming, can I assume as those changes are added to libnx, those features will be reflected within this emulator?

It will function as a testing environment, but not for graphical stuff ... most likely. I may change my mind on that down the road, depending on how crazy I want to get with this. But it's really there for a combination of testing the basics of homebrew, and for developing exploits for the system as a whole.

Reactions: Don Jon and peteruk

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you think an develope rwnats an emulator that he cant even use?
?? You don't seem to have any clue about Reverse Engineering. First of all, the Reswitched Team's goal is to achieve arbitrary code execution on the system, and fully understanding, Documenting and REing it hardware and softwarewise. There is no need to emulate any game as of now. CTU and Mephisto are made to debug Sysmodules / other binaries which I am not gonna cover in this post, with the goal to achieve knowledge on how the sysmodules / other stuff, works and how the system handles it's stuff. The Devs DO USE these emulators. You and the other guy are just ignorant nooby end users who have no clue nor knowledge regarding REing a complete closed source system from the OS to the bootloader. This is more work then you two have probably ever done in your entire live.

PotatisKnug

Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
Hold up ni️️bba. Is this the first step to homebrew? Yeee boiiii

D

Deleted User

Wow. Just found this page and I got to say kudos and hats off to you man! :O
I really appreciate your efforts to make Homebrew possible on the Switch.
I wish you best of luck with your future projects.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries