Hacking [RELEASE] Kecleon Patch for Luma3DS

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mainly because most people associate hacking with genning pokemon.

(Despite the fact many people with cfw don't gen pokemon)
Ah okey, I'm not really that in to battling other players so I have no clue about this. I only created 1 pokemon since it was 1% chance to get it and I have hunted it for 4-5 hours. I didn't even make it special just the most basic things I could so I got the stupid sidemission done in Moon.

KanterZ

Modder.
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This is a patch for Luma3DS intended to help hide that you're running CFW. It's primarily designed for Pokemon VGC players who may want to hide their CFW from overstepping judges, or other players. It can also be used to help child-proof your 3DS, or be used if lending out your CFW 3DS.

This patch changes the following from stock Luma3DS:
  • Option to save config.bin to CTRNAND. (You can also put arm9loaderhax.bin onto CTRNAND for a 100% clean SD card)
  • Option to disable region-free/flashcart patches. (This stops someone from putting an out-of-region cart, or banned flashcart in to test for CFW)
  • Option to ignore all key presses on boot. (Stops someone from detecting CFW via holding start/select on boot)
  • Option to set hidden Key-Combo to remove the lock above.
Testing, ideas and comments are appreciated!

The ideal setup for a completely hidden CFW is you have 2 SD cards:
  • a main SD card with an EmuNAND and all of your good stuff.
  • a clean SD card and Vanilla SysNAND (formatted with TinyFormat) for tournaments.
This will show you how to setup a "main" EmuNAND SD card for your normal usage, and a vanilla SysNAND for tournaments which you can use with a clean SD card.

Prerequisites:
  • A 3DS with A9LH installed.
  • Your main SD card.
  • An empty SD card for tournaments.
Section 1:
  • Copy latest version of GodMode9 onto SD card in /luma/payloads/.
  • Copy TinyFormat CIA onto SD card.
  • Backup all content from your main SD card to your computer. This SD card will be erased.
  • Boot 3DS with main SD card inserted.
  • Install TinyFormat with FBI.
Section 2:
  • Start GodMode9 (turn on 3DS and hold Start, select GodMode9).
  • <instructions to format an emunand here.

To install, simple put the attached arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card, or onto CTRNAND with GodMode9.
Would you um.. clarify which SD card is in use on Section 1 ? Thanks!

sixtails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool! Could you in the future create an app that hides any selected TitleID? And then hide that app using a computer and configuring bin?

Hmm, maybe. To be honest, I'm not super familiar with the code, but I *think* thats implementable in /injector/source/patcher.c by patching homemenu to fail a check on selected titles... Another method might be making a separate tool to move the program on the ExData to another folder temporarily... probably the easier solution.

It might be simpler for it to check for arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card, and if present then use it rather than the one on CTR NAND.

Someone checking for a9lh could use this, but if they know enough to use this then they could also just look up the key combo and try that, so not really losing anything.

Thanks. So for your first point, Auroras A9Lh build already gives priority to arm9loaderhax.bin, so in a sense what you want implemented should already work unless you use custom firm payloads. For your second point, the key combo is user-set, so they' need to guess one of the 256 possible combinations. Also note that all of these are optional; you don't need to have a custom key combo for instance.

Would you um.. clarify which SD card is in use on Section 1 ? Thanks!

Sorry, I just wrote what I could before my plane left. I will be filling out the guide (to one possible setting) on the 2nd hopefully, but for now just ignore it. But thanks for your catch!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hmm, maybe. To be honest, I'm not super familiar with the code, but I *think* thats implementable in /injector/source/patcher.c by patching homemenu to fail a check on selected titles... Another method might be making a separate tool to move the program on the ExData to another folder temporarily... probably the easier solution.

Thanks. So for your first point, Auroras A9Lh build already gives priority to arm9loaderhax.bin, so in a sense what you want implemented should already work unless you use custom firm payloads. For your second point, the key combo is user-set, so they' need to guess one of the 256 possible combinations. Also note that all of these are optional; you don't need to have a custom key combo for instance.

Sorry, I just wrote what I could before my plane left. I will be filling out the guide (to one possible setting) on the 2nd hopefully, but for now just ignore it. But thanks for your catch!
I think user set is a bad idea. If they forget the password they could end up with a bricked console they can't restore. Same problems as having a PIN.
BUT if you say that having Kacleon in your CTR-NAND and having regular Luma on your SD card will mean you can now access payloads normally, then that works out fine!! The key combo is then just to be able to use payloads without having to move files around (eg. if giving it to a child, you don't want them to accidentally access Decrypt9 etc).

Reactions: sixtails

sixtails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think user set is a bad idea. If they forget the password they could end up with a bricked console they can't restore. Same problems as having a PIN.
BUT if you say that having Kacleon in your CTR-NAND and having regular Luma on your SD card will mean you can now access payloads normally, then that works out fine!! The key combo is then just to be able to use payloads without having to move files around (eg. if giving it to a child, you don't want them to accidentally access Decrypt9 etc).

Yes, the custom key combo is purely an alternative to using 2 SD cards/computer! If people can hide their titles somehow (renaming "Nintendo 3DS"), then you may be able to get by without creating a second NAND as long as there aren't too many customizations/aren't paranoid enough to care about SD card checks.

Last edited by sixtails,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, this is great! I wanted something like this for ages, but someone made an issue on Luma's GitHub about the console still creating a luma folder even when arm9loaderhax.bin was on CTR NAND and AuroraWright had said that it wasn't a mistake and she had zero plans to fix it. So I thought it would never happen, unless I was brave enough to try modifying it myself and run it on my console. Now I don't have to :-)

sixtails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, this is great! I wanted something like this for ages, but someone made an issue on Luma's GitHub about the console still creating a luma folder even when arm9loaderhax.bin was on CTR NAND and AuroraWright had said that it wasn't a mistake and she had zero plans to fix it. So I thought it would never happen, unless I was brave enough to try modifying it myself and run it on my console. Now I don't have to :-)

Lol, I was in the same boat. ;-P My fix for this isn't elegant, as the file system interface was programmed in a rather static way and the loading logic isn't straight forward. The solution involved letting it write to the SD card twice before boot, so it's not fantastic. I am planning on re-writing the file system interface to be more flexible and remove the extra SD card writes on a later, should there be enough changes to warrant another release.

Wouldn't checking SD cards be illegal? Or do you forfeit that right when you enter a tournament?

Judges do not have instructions to check SD cards, afaik. However a lot of vgc judges are just tcg judges who do the bare minimum to do vgc, and some are very cluless. They may see some video from a certain uninformed youtuber and decide to check SD cards. There is at least one potential case of this (note: anecdote). There was a fair amount of talk in the community about a video that suggested holding select and banning anyone who gets the luma menu. This is more of an early preventative measure.

Legally, in terms of court law, you can decline their request to check your sd card, and they can DQ you from the tournament. Whether or this would hold up in court (considering that you probably payed to be there) is up for question.

You're probably safe having a "dirty" SD card. But I'd thought I might as well cover everything that I reasonably could, as there may be other scenarios where you want to hide your CFW.

Last edited by sixtails,
Reactions: Quantumcat

KanterZ

Modder.
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

I'll be seeing it updated then, thanks!

sixtails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What about PowerSaves? The 3DS remain virgin but game get hacked. And theres no way to know if PowerSave was used or not.

That works fine! If you don't have a need for CFW, then that is the easer alternative.

I think PowerSaves is limited to save scumming (unless we've been able to re-encrypt saves) but that's all I really use anyways. :P

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

sixtails

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just finished writing up the guide. :) Let me know if I missed or left anything out, and I'll make it right!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk