Hacking [RELEASE] EasyRPG Vita - RPG Maker 2000/2003 player for PSVITA

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not only Japanese characters. Some German games have umlauts in their filenames, which won't work either.
Are we even sure the Vitas file system supports those characters?

Also Vampires Dawn 1 has some serious sound problems. The main menu music is playing way to fast and none of the sound effects is working properly either.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not only Japanese characters. Some German games have umlauts in their filenames, which won't work either.
Which definitely is bad manner, even in the unicode-age.
ä -> ae, ö -> oe, ü -> ue and ß -> ss/sz so it's compatible with the fixed first 128 ASCII signs. Thats how to name game resources in german.

Are we even sure the Vitas file system supports those characters?
I have files on my Vita which are displayed with umlauts in VitaShell.
Therfore I think its not a problem with the filesystem but the (homebrew) programs.

Also Vampires Dawn 1 has some serious sound problems. The main menu music is playing way to fast and none of the sound effects is working properly either.
The sound seams to be better in the english version. Don't know why.

Last edited by VitaType,

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A user on reddit pointed out that he was able to transfer yume nikkki with winscp by going to the advanced settings and setting the encoding to utf-8. Maybe this works?

Reactions: VitaType

Sabishinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A user on reddit pointed out that he was able to transfer yume nikkki with winscp by going to the advanced settings and setting the encoding to utf-8. Maybe this works?
To some degree. I was able to transfer over Violated Heroine, but some of the characters/textures aren't rendered. I would assume that this is a side effect of the Vita not being able to decipher the Japanese unicode filenames. Pic related. http://prntscr.com/c30egn

Last edited by Sabishinbo,

Kaibutsu01

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
himeidocode.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm also having issues with sound/music. In both Yume Nikki (which I managed to transfer) and Ib (has no filenames with non-unicode characters), none of the sound effects play correctly, and in Yume Nikki's case, the music pitch/speed is totally off.

I hope Rinne can update this soon, though he's porting a lot of stuff for Vita.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
To some degree. I was able to transfer over Violated Heroine, but some of the characters/textures aren't rendered. I would assume that this is a side effect of the Vita not being able to decipher the Japanese unicode filenames. Pic related. http://prntscr.com/c30egn

Are you sure that this game dosn't needs a run time package (there is one for 2000 and one for 2003) which isn't installed?

Paths:
ux0:/data/easyrpg-player/rtp/2000
ux0:/data/easyrpg-player/rtp/2003

Last edited by VitaType,

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure that this game dosn't needs a run time package (there is one for 2000 and one for 2003) which isn't installed?

Paths:

Yes the reported missing files are RTP files, I know these filenames. You can also use Dons (unofficial) translation instead of the japanese files, EasyRPG will do some redirection voodoo in that case, but the result is not always 100% correct :)

Sabishinbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Paths:
From this site, right? https://tkool.jp/support/download/rpg2000/rtp
Funny thing - It actually says something about missing RTP files upon start-up, but I would've never guessed that EasyRPG would require 2000-3 RTP builds. I'll try it out now, arigato.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes the reported missing files are RTP files, I know these filenames. You can also use Dons (unofficial) translation instead of the japanese files, EasyRPG will do some redirection voodoo in that case, but the result is not always 100% correct :)
huh, it does report it doesn't find the RTP, but those games don't use it, it's fine to ignore the warning.

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh, it does report it doesn't find the RTP, but those games don't use it, it's fine to ignore the warning.

Yeah it's just a warning to notify that this can happen. But the user with the real missing files warning played Violated Heroine and this seems to depend on RTP assets.

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chain of Retribution doesn't display the character classes correctly, and enemy sprites don't disappear after you defeat them.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm also having issues with sound/music. In both Yume Nikki (which I managed to transfer) and Ib (has no filenames with non-unicode characters), none of the sound effects play correctly, and in Yume Nikki's case, the music pitch/speed is totally off.

I hope Rinne can update this soon, though he's porting a lot of stuff for Vita.
The sound issues seem to be caused by incompatibility with lower sampling rates. By re-encoding the wav files with 44.1kHz you can fix the issues.
EasyRPG Vita is now officially released!

You can grab latest nightly always updated to latest commit on official repository from official Jenkins system here:
https://ci.easyrpg.org/job/player-vita/
This one doesn't run very well. It instantly crashes with most games for me.

Kaibutsu01

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
himeidocode.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Okay, now games run mostly fine, but I have a few things to report.

- All games so far: Stuttering when sound effects play. It's very slight, but still noticeable. Gets worse if many sound effects play on sequence.
- Yume Nikki, LcdDem and similar Yume-Nikki fangames: Run very well, but once you activate the bicycle/sneakers/(item for walking faster) and walk around tiles that make different noises, the app will probably crash.
- LcdDem: load times are pretty long. Like, half-minute long or so.
- Answered Prayers: Game is very slow. Probably because of rain effects.

Martoto1267

Trophies
XP
Country
does some one know where are the 1 and 2 buttons mapped on the vita because some games use them to access menus like zelda 1 and metal gear solid rpg

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy

Mastak

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the audio (I'm another easyrpg dev): Could you test it again with this build here (it's a different one then Rinne linked):
https://ci.easyrpg.org/view/Pull Requests/job/player-vita-pr/3/

Games with bad title music seem to be Yume Nikki and Vampires Dawn?
If the music is still bad in these games could you record a Video (with Audio of course ;)) of the title screen of one of these games for me so I can listen to it? Maybe I have then an idea what is wrong.

And I really talk about BGM, not sound effects.

Last edited by Mastak,

Mr.Positive

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OFF's Sounds and Animations are working now, although there's a big FPS dip when you ride the train in Zone 1.

Chain of Retribution still has the problem where class names are being rendered as random symbols.

Last edited by Mr.Positive,

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Concerning the audio (I'm another easyrpg dev): Could you test it again with this build here (it's a different one then Rinne linked):
https://ci.easyrpg.org/view/Pull Requests/job/player-vita-pr/3/

Games with bad title music seem to be Yume Nikki and Vampires Dawn?
If the music is still bad in these games could you record a Video (with Audio of course ;)) of the title screen of one of these games for me so I can listen to it? Maybe I have then an idea what is wrong.

And I really talk about BGM, not sound effects.
Music and sound effects are fine in this build.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: CD-Rs should work fine on all 3DO systems