OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Is it possible to launch these multiple emuNAND's?

It is, but none of the modern CFWs have the ability to select and boot an alternate EmuNAND. In the past, it was possible to have an EmuNAND + RedNAND configuration and boot the RedNAND using the old Palantine CFW (with a modified boot.bin file) or TRICK.

Reactions: GhostLatte

Cavioe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologize to not give more detail on this but can later when I get back home. Anyways I was using the 1.0 version just fine and it did everything as needed for New 3DS and old 3DS. But I wanted to see the 1.1 version. But it failed to create a emunand partition with a backup emunand.bin. This is the steps:

version 1.1
- Extracted emunand.bin from 8GB SD
- Put a fresh 64GB SD in computer and formated it to fat32 with GUIformatter
- Went to refresh and it still showed no drives before or after formatting to fat32
- Popup said something about FAT partition

version 1.0
- Went back to 1.0 and it injected and created the partition successfully

So I don't know what exactly happened but 1.0 still hasn't failed for me yet. I will try to get an exact popup message on what it says as I have another 64gb I can test.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Apologize to not give more detail on this but can later when I get back home. Anyways I was using the 1.0 version just fine and it did everything as needed for New 3DS and old 3DS. But I wanted to see the 1.1 version. But it failed to create a emunand partition with a backup emunand.bin. This is the steps:

version 1.1
- Went to refresh and it still showed no drives before or after formatting to fat32

version 1.0

So I don't know what exactly happened but 1.0 still hasn't failed for me yet. I will try to get an exact popup message on what it says as I have another 64gb I can test.

Well, my program calls the format.exe tool, which technically won't let you format a drive with a storage capacity greater than 32 GB using FAT32, due to Windows -retarded- limitations. That may very well be the case. The real solution would be to port over the format code from guiformat.exe to my program, but I'm a lazy mofo. This is just a wild guess, though, since I don't really know the error message that was displayed.

The biggest changes introduced with v1.1 are related only to the drive detection routines and the use of both drop-down lists, one for SD cards with EmuNANDs and one for drives with no EmuNAND at all. The partition layout code wasn't changed at all, so it's very interesting you got that outcome with v1.0. I'll wait for more details on your part.

You may want to try again with v1.2, but I don't really think it's gonna do the trick. It's just a quick bugfix for EmuNAND9 Tool compatibility.

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

lisaby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thx for this thread.
N3ds 9.2
i have tested 2 emunand with ctrboot
one emunand1 reinand 10.3.0-28 autoboot
second cake cfw 9.5.0-23 works but autoboot dont works

sengitan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how to use it?
i have an emunand in my SD card and i want to switch it to larger sd card, how to clone it? please hep, thanks

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
Just posting here to let you know, @DarkMatterCore, that Cakes has recently added multi emuNAND support (thanks to someone's contribution), and I thought it'd be a nice idea to be able to give them names. The way this is done is very simple: In the first sector of the emuNAND, which is unused by both GW emuNAND and redNAND, at the very beginning, it has to contain the string "NAME", followed by the name of the emuNAND (31 chars max., zero-teminated). See code. Just letting you know, in case you want to include the option to name it in your tool.

Last edited by mid-kid,

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Just posting here to let you know, @DarkMatterCore, that Cakes has recently added multi emuNAND support (thanks to someone's contribution), and I thought it'd be a nice idea to be able to give them names. The way this is done is very simple: In the first sector of the emuNAND, which is unused by both GW emuNAND and redNAND, at the very beginning, it has to contain the string "NAME", followed by the name of the emuNAND (31 chars max., zero-teminated). See code. Just letting you know, in case you want to include the option to name it in your tool.

It would be better to place the NAME string after the flashcard string (sector start + 11). IIRC, the GW Launcher actually checks if the initial string is GATEWAYNAND, and if it itsn't, it will refuse to boot the 1st EmuNAND. I don't know if this has been changed in newer releases.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be better to place the NAME string after the flashcard string (sector start + 11). IIRC, the GW Launcher actually checks if the initial string is GATEWAYNAND, and if it itsn't, it will refuse to boot the 1st EmuNAND. I don't know if this has been changed in newer releases.

Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, if you can confirm gateway requires that and we can write right behind it without it complaining, it'd make sense to change it.

MrMandraque

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to configure two emunand on two differents partitions?
Maybe a bootloader (on fat32) will launch a corresponding partition with * hax (homemenuhax, themehax, georgeclooneyhax, whatelsehax, ...), in this way we could have 3 emunand. (Maximum 4 primary partitions)
In principle, we could boot to a particular sector, a bit like the fact grub somehow.
Is it dumb?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, if you can confirm gateway requires that and we can write right behind it without it complaining, it'd make sense to change it.

Yeah, GW Launcher refused to boot the 1st EmuNAND after changing the GATEWAYNAND string to something else: https://mega.nz/#!gp5Dnb7J!JYKCYKYDs4V7ZF3zFiuQQMd48LXTXnHCKQhbXkQN3Mc (video uploaded by my friend). It seems it goes straight to the SysNAND, completely bypassing the EmuNAND.

So yeah, just change *(uint32_t *)fcram_temp to *(uint32_t *)(fcram_temp + 11) and we should be good to go.

Is it possible to configure two emunand on two differents partitions?
Maybe a bootloader (on fat32) will launch a corresponding partition with * hax (homemenuhax, themehax, georgeclooneyhax, whatelsehax, ...), in this way we could have 3 emunand. (Maximum 4 primary partitions)
In principle, we could boot to a particular sector, a bit like the fact grub somehow.
Is it dumb?

That's essentially what this program does. The EmuNAND selection and, by extension, the boot sector configuration, depend entirely on the CFW used with the 3DS console. TRICK used to have a configurable boot sector, now that you mention it.

I guess this would be quite a good feature for experienced users, @mid-kid.

MrMandraque

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for your answer.
So does this mean that if we want again a multi-emunand, we must create a new cfw? Really? (or we must have X sdcards for X cfw of course...)

Last edited by MrMandraque,

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: DarkMatterCore

acoll

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

version 1.1

version 1.0

planning to do the same, and upgrade my 32gb to a 64gb sd.

just wan't to ask some questions:
- when i backup my emunand to a bin file, how much space is needed?
- will it also backup my installed cias? or does it only backup important files, then i need to overwrite the files from my old sd to transfer the installed games to the new one?

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkMatterCore Sorry for the stupid question but:

I have 2x N3DS systems with WORKING EMUNANDs. I created one partition EMUNANDS for both of them with v1.0 of multinand creator. I have been UNABLE to extract EMUNAND from either SD card since their creation. I v1.0 I got the no SD card with emunand signature error and with 1.2 I just get greyed out extract buttons and no valid drives available.

I am pretty technical but don't know where to locate all of the relevant documentation. Would you mind directing me to the offsets and contents of relevant signature locations and checks such that I might examine my EMUNAND partition and see why it's not working? I think it's odd that I have created 3 emunands (I had to wipe my very first one when I couldn't extract and figured reformatting with the tool would fix it) and I can't extract from any of them.

1 of them is a 128GB card, one is a 32GB card. I have been working in windows 10 and am running as administrator.

Last edited by gallymimu,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la