Not open for further replies.

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If someone on a lower system version is going to get access to ReiNX at the same time, regardless of when 5.1.0 users get it, I don't see the benefit of having the latter group of people wait. In other words, making 5.1.0 users wait isn't going to help 3.0.0 users.

My goal would be to get ReiNX working on all system versions, but I wouldn't push back a release just because it currently had issues with some system versions. Like I said earlier, that doesn't help anybody.

Making it work for all versions at the same time can be crucial for the stability of the software. As you're probably very aware, in computer science there are many ways to solve the same problem, but on multiple targets (in this case, HorizonOS versions), one approach might work on one of them, another doesn't, hence invalidating the patch/block of code we tried previously. Every coder avoids if/else code to deal with edge cases. Sometimes it's proven to be the only option, but for the sake of stability and code maintenance, we alway try to go for the generic/future-proof approach.

• Newer games are going to require newer software versions.

The sheer fact that secmon is being patched (not to mention the other multiple patches going around any CFW of this nature) opens up a possibility to also patch the force firmware inside Switch XCIs when/if the XCI loader is released. If all these people are hanging on here in hopes that they'll get a full replacement for SXOS when this CFW gets its first public release, please do yourself a favor and go enjoy other activities for a while and avoid the upcoming frustration/begging/ranting. XCI mounting might come, but don't expect it to be there on day 1.

Thankfully, we can now update without burning fuses so while most people are literally on the latest firmware, some of those people may be artificially on 5.1 in the hopes of utilizing a future exploit.

Although you can technically update without burning fuses, it takes just a little distraction for the console to boot into the OFW once and puff!! They're gone. Doesn't matter how cautious you are, mistakes happen. And not everyone is very keen to corrupt their own bootloader in order to have AutoRCM. Most of the people that are staying on 4.1.0 or lower is due to the fact that there is an exploit on this version that can be triggered via software (although it's not public yet). Going into higher firmwares, even if all precautions are taken and no fuses are burnt, always poses a risk.

In the end of the day, all the people involved in this and other CFWs (except SXOS) are doing it for free, out of their good will. Coders will join their teams, give their expertise and try to help the best they can so the whole world can enjoy. Ranting, speculating, imposing choices to others because you believe they are the best just in order to cut corners for your own profit will not make any coding come faster or with less bugs. People of GBATemp: just sit down, relax, enjoy homebrew and your carts. CFWs will happen! Be patient. And worry not, because as soon as they become public, the news will spread like wildfire. Release your self from the fear of missing out :)

Peace

Last edited by rrocha,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
My 3.0 Switch is sending you telepathic messages of encouragement. My 4.1 on the other hand is acting all grumpy that it wasn't invited to this shindig.
And my 5.1 switch is ready? Anyways I hope all the CFW bugs get patch soon for other firmwares too. Cheers

Reactions: Mylink5

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making it work for all versions at the same time can be crucial for the stability of the software. As you're probably very aware, in computer science there are many ways to solve the same problem, but on multiple targets (in this case, HorizonOS versions), one approach might work on one of them, another doesn't, hence invalidating the patch/block of code we tried previously. Every coder avoids if/else code to deal with edge cases. Sometimes it's proven to be the only option, but for the sake of stability and code maintenance, we alway try to go for the generic/future-proof approach.
It's a little more complicated than that. Like SX OS but unlike Atmosphere, ReiNX is taking an approach to firm patching that should be largely universal and futureproof in principle. However, delaying the release of the version compatible with 5.1.0 isn't helping the overall project, and it's certainly not helping those on lower system versions.

In other words, the scenario you described is what the future very likely holds, regardless of if/when the 5.1.0 beta version is released to the public. Delaying a release to until after I've added support to lower system versions is not what I would personally do as a developer.

The sheer fact that secmon is being patched (not to mention the other multiple patches going around any CFW of this nature) opens up a possibility to also patch the force firmware inside Switch XCIs when/if the XCI loader is released. If all these people are hanging on here in hopes that they'll get a full replacement for SXOS when this CFW gets its first public release, please do yourself a favor and go enjoy other activities for a while and avoid the upcoming frustration/begging/ranting. XCI mounting might come, but don't expect it to be there on day 1.
In short, the force firmware is only one kind of game incompatibility. Other incompatibilities will actually require system updates.

Although you can technically update without burning fuses, it takes just a little distraction for the console to boot into the OFW once and puff!! They're gone. Doesn't matter how cautious you are, mistakes happen. And not everyone is very keen to corrupt their own bootloader in order to have AutoRCM. Most of the people that are staying on 4.1.0 or lower is due to the fact that there is an exploit on this version that can be triggered via software (although it's not public yet). Going into higher firmwares, even if all precautions are taken and no fuses are burnt, always poses a risk.
Updating one's system without burning efuses is only recommended in conjunction with the use of AutoRCM. With AutoRCM installed, there's no need to be cautious about accidentally burning efuses. In addition, following the update guide properly carries very little risk.

In the end of the day, all the people involved in this and other CFWs (except SXOS) are doing it for free, out of their good will. Coders will join their teams, give their expertise and try to help the best they can so the whole world can enjoy. Ranting, speculating, imposing choices to others because you believe they are the best just in order to cut corners for your own profit will not make any coding come faster or with less bugs. People of GBATemp: just sit down, relax, enjoy homebrew and your carts. CFWs will happen! Be patient. And worry not, because as soon as they become public, the news will spread like wildfire. Release your self from the fear of missing out :)

Peace
Discourse isn't necessarily indicative of impatience.

Is there any disadvantage to releasing it now and continue working on 3.0.0 support as well?
No, there isn't.

Reactions: peteruk

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any disadvantage to releasing it now and continue working on 3.0.0 support as well?
3.0.0-3.0.2 are basically haunted. It took something like a month for Hekate to get proper sleep mode support specifically for that firmware range.
Rei knows his stuff, he'll certainly get it done. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in that position, though.
Given that we already have methods for upgrading firmware without touching efuses or the cartridge slot firmware, I feel that universal support isn't super critical, but that's just my take on it.

Reactions: Lacius

chrisnasah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread reminds me of the atmosphere thread where people said and assumed release is imminent. I can see where this is going....

Phoenixrite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
3.0.0-3.0.2 are basically haunted. It took something like a month for Hekate to get proper sleep mode support specifically for that firmware range.
Rei knows his stuff, he'll certainly get it done. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in that position, though.
Given that we already have methods for upgrading firmware without touching efuses or the cartridge slot firmware, I feel that universal support isn't super critical, but that's just my take on it.
I'm on haunted firmware just great. But I can update and get exfat support and reinx support... Tempting...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree wholeheartedly. Universal support is more of a long term concern, not a short term one.

Even 3DS custom firmwares, such as Luma3DS, added support for lower system versions much later.

I'm on haunted firmware just great. But I can update and get exfat support and reinx support... Tempting...
You can install the exFAT update without updating. There is also no reason to update for ReiNX before it has been released. It appears more likely than not that ReiNX won't be released until it supports most, if not all, system versions.

Last edited by Lacius,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQ0f5zDhaQ +1