Homebrew Misc Reformatting SD Card Process - CFW 3DS

soulsappar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I've decided to reformat my current 128GB (SDXC) SD card and change the cluster size to see if it will fix some performance issues I've been having with my CFW. I am aware of the potential issues with custom themes and VC games that can result from changing the cluster size, but would still like to do so anyways. I wanted confirm if the process for reformatting the only card currently being used is the same process for upgrading from one SD card to another.

To my knowledge (and from what I've read on this website and others) I would copy the current files on the card to a separate PC folder, reformat the card with guiformat/whatever tool, and then paste the files back onto the newly reformatted card? Or would I need to insert the reformatted empty SD card into the 3DS before pasting the pre-formatted card files back in?

It's been a few years since I've messed with SD cards on my CFW systems so I want to confirm the steps I take are the right ones to avoid ruining files or the device; I apologize in advance if this is a silly/obvious question.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy the data off the SD card to a computer then format the card, then copy data back, changing the cluster would increase the size of files on the SD card but also improve the boot time a little. You may as well h2testw the card empty if you never tested it.

tri-light

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Copy the data off the SD card to a computer then format the card, then copy data back, changing the cluster would increase the size of files on the SD card but also improve the boot time a little. You may as well h2testw the card empty if you never tested it.
You have to format it with Rufus because the default disk formatter for windows only supports 32gb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto