Hacking Reducing game size by deleting language files and or movies- LIST

SYNYST3R1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a personal application I made that dummies audio and video files automatically from a VPK. Wasn't sure how useful it would be for people, but I could also have it have an option to delete/dummy manuals and language files. It only does one VPK at a time because quite a few games do black screen.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@OP You can Extract psarc files with ULTIMATE TOOLZ: http://www.file-extensions.org/psarc-file-extension

I just tried to replace videos with a dummy mp4 video, finding that there seems to be no difference for games that also work with the "empty"-dummy files. I will check Sonic Allstar Racing, which seems to crash with dummy files, next...

It seems each games handles it differntly for example. some games may have a check in place if no video(or rather no check) is found it skips it, while another game will freeze if the file is not found. While another game will work if u just skip yourself by spamming start etc..

I will take alook later if I can reduce size of games some more. Currently waiting for my new 64 GB. will take 3 weeks approx i guess. will update this post then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a personal application I made that dummies audio and video files automatically from a VPK. Wasn't sure how useful it would be for people, but I could also have it have an option to delete/dummy manuals and language files. It only does one VPK at a time because quite a few games do black screen.
Dummy files good. but it can break the game.. in these other cases the app someone metioned where it downsamples the quality would do better. We can document the changes.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread if assuming the games you use are the european copies of games not the american copies of games right?

Dakor

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey,
a little update on my file shrinker tool: I submitted it to the GekiHEN Hombrew Contest and it just got published: http://gekihen.customprotocol.com/en/project/Game-Shrinker

It allows you to shrink any file you want to a 0-Byte version. It also allows you to temporary replace files with dummy files, and restore the original file if the game crashes (or permanently delete the backup if everything works), this should simplify the shrinking and testing progress A LOT :)

gameshrinker.jpg

@csvkid: most games will behave the same independent from the region, but yes, most NA games won't be Multi Versions with additional language files etc. But it might be worth to check it with Game Shrinker ;P

Last edited by Dakor,

riccetto80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
@csvkid: most games will behave the same independent from the region, but yes, most NA games won't be Multi Versions with additional language files etc. But it might be worth to check it with Game Shrinker ;P

amazing! sad you didint update the program anymore since 2016 :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: