Red unknown titles on FBI (what are these?)

TinaTheCyclops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
caramel64.neocities.org
XP
Country
Spain
i'm very interested in 3ds homebrew, but i haven't gotten the chance to learn a lot about it, so im still unexperienced. sorry if this is a dumb question

i booted up FBI on my 3DS, and selected the titles option, with the intention of uninstalling some games to make some space, then I noticed something. under the normal titles there are a handful of titles in red, which seem to be the default apps, which i am definitely not touching. but right below them, there are like a hundred other titles, all of them named after their own IDs. normally they are only under 400KiB, but a handful of them weigh between 1 and 2 MiBs, with two specific ones being 3.00MiB and 3.77MiB specifically, and another one being, surprisingly, 11.52 hecking MiB. none of them have an icon except for one, which also happens to have a region (EU/AU). weird

I have no idea of what these are, and with the little information and knowledge I have it's hard to tell, but I can delete/launch them like any other title (launching seems to crash the 3ds, though)

what are they? why are there so many of them? is it safe to delete them? it's not urgent, but curiosity is killing me

in case my wording was poor or too verbose for anyone to read i've attached a video file showing exactly what I am talking about

P.D.: there are another two unknown titles under the dsiware games, idk if that info is useful but there you have it

Attachments

• video_2022-08-04_19-56-44.mp4
    8.9 MB

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So titles that appear in FBI as red are improperly installed .cias. This can include a lot of things from a dsiware game installed to the SD card instead of the nand. a firmware file stored in space dedicated for games/apps. it can be caused by installing unknown CIA files that were improperly packaged. as well as installing CIA packages for other versions of system files of your 3DS an example of which would be restoring the wrong health and safety file when hacking your 3DS ... Ect

The first thing you should do whenever anything goes wrong with your system is make a backup this way if anything happens to go wrong while fixing the system we could always revert back to where we are now

Now that you have the backup I suggest looking up the title IDs individually. make sure they are not system titles if they are you will need to find an equivalent working version on the internet and replace them. Assuming you find their game files it's perfectly okay to delete them. Assuming they are Homebrew find the latest version online and replace it. If the file is none of the above report back

But before you go messing with anything I want to ask you something, is your system actually experiencing any errors? or is this just something you don't like to see on your system because if it's the latter, it baffles me because you can't find these things without looking through FBI. in fact a lot of people have red titles like this and just don't know they do because with no error they have no reason to look through FBI ... Which brings me to my point if it's not broke don't fix it

Reactions: impeeza

TinaTheCyclops

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
caramel64.neocities.org
XP
Country
Spain
So titles that appear in FBI as red are improperly installed .cias. This can include a lot of things from a dsiware game installed to the SD card instead of the nand. a firmware file stored in space dedicated for games/apps. it can be caused by installing unknown CIA files that were improperly packaged. as well as installing CIA packages for other versions of system files of your 3DS an example of which would be restoring the wrong health and safety file when hacking your 3DS ... Ect

The first thing you should do whenever anything goes wrong with your system is make a backup this way if anything happens to go wrong while fixing the system we could always revert back to where we are now

Now that you have the backup I suggest looking up the title IDs individually. make sure they are not system titles if they are you will need to find an equivalent working version on the internet and replace them. Assuming you find their game files it's perfectly okay to delete them. Assuming they are Homebrew find the latest version online and replace it. If the file is none of the above report back

But before you go messing with anything I want to ask you something, is your system actually experiencing any errors? or is this just something you don't like to see on your system because if it's the latter, it baffles me because you can't find these things without looking through FBI. in fact a lot of people have red titles like this and just don't know they do because with no error they have no reason to look through FBI ... Which brings me to my point if it's not broke don't fix it
i'm gonna be honest, it's 100% the latter. i have not gotten any errors or crashes because of this as far as i remember. i simply got concerned because how many of these were, and i didn't know if it was safe to get rid of them (even if none of these titles are too big they are still kind of unnecesary data lying inside my 3ds that would be nice to remove)

i think i'll have to follow your advice of not trying to "fix" it though, i don't believe i can argue with that (probably should've thought about that before posting anything, oh well)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ