Red Dragon 3DS, Nintendo Virtual Boy Emulator Port

danielps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, and when I press the start button, I see the VB controller, but then, nothing works (it doesnt crash since I see the frame still counting)
I must be doing the input wrong. It's hard to test on an emulator because it runs at about 0.5 fps. How fast is it for you?

I pressed Start and I now see a Virtual Boy controller, and the framecounter still goes up, but that's all.
That's all the rom has. The buttons should change colours when you press them. Until I get the filesystem code working, you need to add the rom to data/vbrom.bin, "make clean" and "make". The code for scaling bitmaps is still not working properly, so don't expect to run anything too complex yet.

Loving the concept, vb emu on 3ds, and maybe ive just been out of the loop for too long but wasnt mednafen already open sourced AND providing more efficient emulation already¿,
I just thought it would have been the obvious choice for this.
Of course, maybe this was a lot easier to port.
Great news either was, though
I tried it too. In fact, it had a better codebase to start with. I think I decided to use Red Dragon because I'm not too familiar with C++ and the allegro library is simpler.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who tested it. Does anybody have any idea why the 3dsx wouldn't work?

loco365

Trophies
XP
That's all the rom has. The buttons should change colours when you press them. Until I get the filesystem code working, you need to add the rom to data/vbrom.bin, "make clean" and "make". The code for scaling bitmaps is still not working properly, so don't expect to run anything too complex yet.

Yeah, pressing buttons does nothing, the buttons don't change color at all. I think you're on the right track with input though, since it recognises the Start button to actually get there.

danielps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, pressing buttons does nothing, the buttons don't change color at all. I think you're on the right track with input though, since it recognises the Start button to actually get there.

Actually, input works now, I just pushed a fix. The keymapping needs to be tweaked though...

Reactions: loco365

HtheB

Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I must be doing the input wrong. It's hard to test on an emulator because it runs at about 0.5 fps. How fast is it for you?

I tried it too. In fact, it had a better codebase to start with. I think I decided to use Red Dragon because I'm not too familiar with C++ and the allegro library is simpler.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who tested it. Does anybody have any idea why the 3dsx wouldn't work?

I made a short video showing how it looks like on real hardware:

(still uploading at the time of posting) Uploaded!

Edit: I noticed something after testing it again: Not only the Start button, but pressing ANY button (besides the Circple pad) brings up the "controller" on the screen...

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
hummm i build the latest git clone in 3dsx and run on my 3DS LL(9.2.0-20J) with cubic ninja card and it just force reboot the system :/ maybe it only work for CIA install?
================================================
ok, finally build a cia version and it works, non crash and all buttons but Circple pad works back to the home screen works too :D am so exciting to see how this will do hope we can set the red layout in the future :P anyway keep on going bro:yaysp:

danielps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hummm i build the latest git clone in 3dsx and run on my 3DS LL(9.2.0-20J) with cubic ninja card and it just force reboot the system :/ maybe it only work for CIA install?
================================================
ok, finally build a cia version and it works, non crash and all buttons but Circple pad works back to the home screen works too :D am so exciting to see how this will do hope we can set the red layout in the future :P anyway keep on going bro:yaysp:

Thanks! In vb_set.c you can change PALMODE to PAL_RED for the red palette and DSPMODE to DM_3D to enable 3D.

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Thanks! In vb_set.c you can change PALMODE to PAL_RED for the red palette and DSPMODE to DM_3D to enable 3D.
THX man !! likes the red layout, a lil wired thing is i also change DSPMODE to DM_3D but my 3DS's(US Version with GW 9.2.0-20 U) 3d little light didnt turn on :/ really strange
also try to replace som rom file and it just freeze :rofl2: (yea, i dont expect that this very early build will work, just give it a shot :P)

Joderb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am so super stoked for this! Even though I have a Virtual Boy and Flash Boy, I would totally love to play VB portably. That way I don't get those crazy looks from everyone in the break room at work like I did when I brought in the full thing lol. And Bound High portable!!

danielps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Got Flappy Cheep Cheep loaded :D Seems to run about 3-4fps, so slightly better than under citra? Same as kane159, enabling 3D didn't seem to work.
Tried to load Wario Land and Teleroboxer, froze at frame 0.

3D should be fixed now. It's also possible to set the frameskip changing FRMSKIP in vb_set.c
Wario Land seems to work fine under Citra but it has some graphical glitches.
screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"
I am so super stoked for this! Even though I have a Virtual Boy and Flash Boy, I would totally love to play VB portably. That way I don't get those crazy looks from everyone in the break room at work like I did when I brought in the full thing lol. And Bound High portable!!

"in the break room at work like I did when I brought in the full thing "
you didn't
TOKEY NOOOO!

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
3D should be fixed now. It's also possible to set the frameskip changing FRMSKIP in vb_set.c
Wario Land seems to work fine under Citra but it has some graphical glitches.

Frameskip and 3D both working now :D Though the 3D is a little jarring, with it being either off or at maximum depth. Tried a few more games, V Tetris loads and plays fine, Wario Land and Teleroboxer both crash immediately before even the bottom screen displays anything. Loading the .3dsx through Ninjhax still crashes at the first frame.

EDIT: And the 3D seems to cause some graphical glitching, eg. in Flappy it causes an extra pipe to be visible, though I'm not sure whether that's because of the emulator, or the game. It didn't seem to cause any similar issues in V Tetris.

With the 3D off
d14c1f11e4.jpg

And with it on, from two angles
c27c3c3da5.jpg
b83d98bb7a.jpg

http://puu.sh/d2E3g/b83d98bb7a.jpg .3dsx and .cia versions of the latest build with 3D on if anyone else wants to try

Reactions: Margen67

DoJo_Master

Trophies
Website
www.3dsthemes.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ok I'm a real noob at this and I'm sorry im wasting your guys's time but I'm having troubles trying to get it to run.
I put the folder in the 3ds folder on the sdcard and luanched the homebrew but I dont didnt see the emulater, mind you I did extract the folder... What am I doing wrong?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm a real noob at this and I'm sorry im wasting your guys's time but I'm having troubles trying to get it to run.
I put the folder in the 3ds folder on the sdcard and luanched the homebrew but I dont didnt see the emulater, mind you I did extract the folder... What am I doing wrong?
Where did you manage to get the emulator from? I do not see any links on the front page to download it.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i see what the problem is, only thing i could find on that page you linked is the source code and in that folder there is no .3dsx file so nothing will show up in the homebrew launcher menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-