Recover formatted hard drive?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Homebrew' started by steven, Jan 1, 2013.

Jan 1, 2013
    • Newcomer

steven New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    My daughter accidently let the wii u format my hard drive. Is there any way to recover my files and backups or am I going to have to reinstall all of my games?

• Newcomer

Stalkid64X New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Disregard. Sorry.
    Last edited by Stalkid64X, Jan 1, 2013. Reason: Clarified.

julialy Ehh, I'm so lazy.

Message Count:
    United States
    Once it's deleted you can't recover

SORRY
    • Newcomer

steven New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I opened it in easeus partition manager and I can still see the files. there is an option to recover but when I click on it is says that it is over 1gb and I need the paid version. I don't want to pay unless I know its going to work. I guess I will wait till tomorrow to reformat back to ntfs and start my backups all over again.

DeadlyFoez Want Hell? Get married!!

Message Count:
    United States
    Get Data Back is a great program for recovery data from formatted drives. The software has an NTFS and a FAT32 versions of their app, depending on which type of file system was on the drive that got erased. Good luck.

mike333 New Member

Message Count:
    Poland
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
    done
    Last edited by mike333, Jan 1, 2013
    • Newcomer

Zonark New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Reformat to original format and use recova if it was originally ntfs or fat or 32

Message Count:
    United States
    What?? Why reformat to the original? That could just make the damage even worse.
    • Newcomer

steven New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    thanks this would have worked but I didn't have enough space on my computer to transfer the files. Now the question is, is there any way to prevent the wii from wanting to format my hard drive?

Message Count:
    United States
    Get a free HDD that you can use to put the recovered files onto. If you are incapable of making that happen then you are fucked by your own limitations.

mike333 New Member

Message Count:
    Poland
    It is more of a question like: is Your data worth less than spare drive?

Message Count:
    United States
    If a spare drive is something that you are incapable of even without backing up your data, then probably not. Anyone who cares about their data makes sure that they have a backup.

julialy Ehh, I'm so lazy.

Message Count:
    United States
    Get rid of the partition table.
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    That will work, but require some changes with the USBloaders.

spoilerd because not sure yet
    fatcatfan and [Truth] like this.
    • Newcomer

fatcatfan New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Has anyone experimented with a GUID partition table? My initial thought (haven't tested anything) is to use a GPT with the legacy MBR table zeroed out. That might make it readable on most PCs, but unrecognizable to Wii U, to stop the formatting prompt from appearing.

EDIT: I found the old thread. Though there the goal seemed to be to have a WiiU storage partition + a second standard partition for other use. There might still be a configuration that is readable on a PC but eliminates constant prompts on the Wii U. I'll fiddle around when I have some time.
    Last edited by fatcatfan, Jan 2, 2013
    • Newcomer

osaka35 Sleepy

Message Count:
    United States
    Just thought I'd mention, more for clarity's sake and for those who don't know better, that when you recover data from a harddrive, it's always the best idea to recover that data to a *different* harddrive. Once you recover the data to a different harddrive, you can format the original harddrive the way you want to, then copy you data back onto it. This is usually the best way to go for a variety of reasons.
    • Newcomer

fatcatfan New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Actually, it occurs to me: The posts in the previous thread indicated that any drive with HPA enabled was ignored by the Wii U. That's possibly one solution for a vWii-only drive for USB loaders while eliminating the formatting prompt. USB loaders shouldn't have any trouble using a HPA enabled drive, but I'll test it to be sure.
    • Newcomer

DeadMan New Member

Message Count:
    Russia
    How sector's you cut with HPA ? i try cut 10 sectors (i use MHDD) and WiiU also ask about format
    • Newcomer

officialjunk New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    forgive my lack of knowledge, but is there a way this can be leveraged to effectively make single drive have a partition the wii u can recognize and another partition it cannot recognize? i know this question has been asked many times talking about normal partition tables, but i figure you may have an idea if something like that is possible since you are experimenting with altered tables.
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    The report of the HPA was wrong, he redid the tests later and said it worked.
    You can have a HDD with two partitions when using HPA to limit the HDD size.

When using on a computer, you can use a software to unhide the hidden size temporarilly, and the computer will use the GPT partition table located at the end of the drive as the first HDD sector doesn't have a partition anymore (it's the WiiU partition starting at sector 0).

The altered state of the partition table I talked above will not allow sharing the partitions with WiiU
    It's only used to hide ALL partitions to ALL devices (like if the HDD wasn't formated/partitionned). It works only on USBLoaders reading the bad partition table.
    It's only to prevent the WiiU to ask to format it, as it doesn't find a MBR partition on first sector. If Nintendo wants, they can make the WiiU ask for all connected HDD, whatever the content. it's only a quick (and dirty) fix.

If you want a partiotnned WiiU (on WiiU only) + Other (on computer only), then it's the HPA format you need to use.
    If you want to use your HDD for backup without a format prompt, then it's altered table that you need
    If you want both WiiU format + partitionned on vWii : I don't know if homebrew can use HPA, so it's not possible yet.