choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted for IX, because it's easily the most underrated of the whole series. It's a really great game that was obscured at the time because Squeenix was already promoting X for the PS2. I actually strongly dislike VIII quite a bit because the enemies level up with you, making grinding and leveling up pointless. Also, noone's voted for X-2 for a few reasons I can think of: A.) you need a working knowledge of X and it's ending to really understand what's going on, B.) it really has a very stupid storyline. C.) it has the gall to have a "percentage of game complete" meter, while having some VERY strict stupid storyline things to complete to get 100% that you wouldn't assume right off. On the bright side, it does have one of the best combat systems in the series. And finally, part one is actually really really good. The only problem is that the original NES version is a little light on the story side, and has a couple of problems with its mechanics that the remakes fixed (difficult save system, broken targeting system etc) that can easily be blamed on it being made first.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IX was underrated because it was terrible...
It had a back-to-basics combat system, that was terrible and bland, a horrible story, and a really bad, paperthin, uninteresting cast of characters. There was honestly nothing fun about it to speak of. Any other FF had a superior combat system, aside from FF1, to which i'd say 9 was slightly better than. Hell FF8 even had a superior card game compared to it for christ sake.

FF8's level scaling kept it interesting. It's not like it made everything the same difficulty to kill. If you got to level 100, you'd still easily 1 shot and take basically no damage from things in newbier areas, where as later areas you'd be more challenged. As you leveled it just made it so, overall, fights progressively took more strategy (either from binding magic or just your tactics in battle).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
FF8's level scaling kept it interesting. It's not like it made everything the same difficulty to kill. If you got to level 100, you'd still easily 1 shot and take basically no damage from things in newbier areas, where as later areas you'd be more challenged. As you leveled it just made it so, overall, fights progressively took more strategy (either from binding magic or just your tactics in battle).

Or you could instead opt to break the system with Seifer grinding at the beginning. ^_^

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Or you could instead opt to break the system with Seifer grinding at the beginning. ^_^
That and playing the card game.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That and playing the card game.

Yes to all of the above, IMO FFVIII is most interesting because it's soooo easy to break.

But to be honest, every FF game is so polarizing that I don't think anyone can recommend one over the other (at least without being horribly biased). That's the reason I have no idea why fanboys complain when each new FF game is different from the last - ALL of them have been significantly different from the previous entry in some way or another.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of all the ones i've played FF VI(aka FF3 snes) holds a special place in my heart when it comes to final fantasys,tho I do hate the way they did the story towards the end...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
IX was underrated because it was terrible...
It had a back-to-basics combat system, that was terrible and bland, a horrible story, and a really bad, paperthin, uninteresting cast of characters. There was honestly nothing fun about it to speak of. Any other FF had a superior combat system, aside from FF1, to which i'd say 9 was slightly better than. Hell FF8 even had a superior card game compared to it for christ sake.
lmfao oh okay
you stick to your emo and over rated protagonists like Cloud and Squall and I'll be here playing a game with likeable characters, a funny story and an awesome battle system.

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Rather have that than sit through a game where the protagonist hardly ever talks.

SHUT UP TIDUS....You're already ruining a subpar game....

Edit - ...and it's Tie-Dus not Tee-Dus no matter how much Dissidia wants you to believe...they're wrong dag nammit!

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
let's leave cloud out of this. All the talk of him being an emo no-talking stick-in-the-mud comes from the EU, and the less said about that the better. He's actually usually the conversation starter in VII, and spends a lot of time being a braggart. I'm actually playing through VII again for fun as we speak.

VIII, on the other hand...when one of your options for very nearly all "choice" sets of dialogue is "..." literally, well that makes for quite the compelling writing, doesn't it. And the card game is about the only thing it has over IX. (IX's card game does in fact kinda stink) I was actually VERY good at Triple Triad once upon a time, and I was lucky to have an audience when I won the Alexander card. See, I didn't realize that playthrough that you didn't have to accept the rules of each new place you went to, so I made it god-awful technical for myself. Anyways, in that game I was very much on the verge of losing, with just one card and one spot left (I think it was the Zell card--this was over a decade ago) and the board rules had it so that any card not marked as mine on the field wasn't kept by me (brutal rule), but I laid down my last card, and somehow I comboed my way into taking the whole board in one shot.

Regardless, besides the card game, the only thing I have to recommend for VIII is that yes, it can be fun to break the game hard over your knee. But that's not what someone playing for the first time sets out to do. Unless they're the type that plays with a strategy guide in their lap at all times.

(And I still say they broke the ability to grind in the game)

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
FF4. Get the complete one on the PSP. Play through 3 epic stories.
You can play the first one on the DS if you prefer upgraded graphics. From 2D to 3D. Cant say no can we?

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try out "FF: the four heroes of light" for the ds.
It was the latest FF game that I've played, and I really liked it.
And play V too, that's another one of my favorites.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FF4. Get the complete one on the PSP. Play through 3 epic stories.
You can play the first one on the DS if you prefer upgraded graphics. From 2D to 3D. Cant say no can we?
I'm not much of an expert at IV, but from other's I've heard the DS version actually broke a lot of the fighting mechanics, especially with the bosses, and that you're better off with pretty much any other version, in spite of the pretty graphics upgrade.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not much of an expert at IV, but from other's I've heard the DS version actually broke a lot of the fighting mechanics, especially with the bosses, and that you're better off with pretty much any other version, in spite of the pretty graphics upgrade.
That depends. Do mind that most people that played FF4 have already played it before. Thus making the game way easier than it was supposed to be. And for me i actually find the DS version to be harder. Early content wise atleast because i have yet to really get far in game on my PSP. No matter which you take, you will still go on a epic adventure. I say just got for the PSP FF4 Collection which holds the full story. That way you dont have to worry about changing back and forth.

D

Deleted-236924

Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up between the US version of FFIV Advance and the DS version?

The US version of FFIV Advance (And I believe the v1.0 release of the Japanese version too) has the battle mechanics completely messed up.
This was fixed with a v1.1 release in Japan and in the European release.

choconado

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well what I HEARD (again, I don't know IV very much besides a vague idea of the entire plot) was that somehow the DS version broke the enemies both ways: The regular fights were way too easy, and a lot of the bosses got their "gimmick" patterns broken, making them significantly harder and oftentimes a case of luck if you haven't been grinding like crazy.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well what I HEARD (again, I don't know IV very much besides a vague idea of the entire plot) was that somehow the DS version broke the enemies both ways: The regular fights were way too easy, and a lot of the bosses got their "gimmick" patterns broken, making them significantly harder and oftentimes a case of luck if you haven't been grinding like crazy.

My biggest complaint was the art style and voice acting. Having this "super kawaii" chibi art style really defeated a plot that was quite serious. The voice acting wasn't exactly amazing either. Plus the game felt a lot more boring than its counterparts for some reason. I mean if you have no ways of playing FFIV Advance or FFIV The Complete Collection then the DS one is available, but definitely not the best version to play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk