dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm about to purchase an R4i gold from Realhotstuff. I'm going to import it to Canada. Is the site reliable as far as the carts being real?

Has anyone recently purchased a R4i gold from Realhotstuff? Are they updated to work with the 3DS version 2.1.0-4U? I don't have anything else to update it with, so that's pretty much a deal breaker.

Also, is the link below a real R4i gold?

http://www.realhotst...-3ds-p-518.html

Thanks

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the products' official site, that is the right R4i Gold for wood kernel compatibility and a team that produces firmware updates when Nintendo blocks them.

RHS is pretty reputable and though a couple times they've had a problem with their suppliers (they were unknowingly sent clone Acekards a couple times,) they have always responded to their customers honestly. (and honored exchanges/refunds, to my knowledge)

I can't answer for the 3DS compatibility question. I ordered mine from a Chinese shipper and won't receive until Mon/Tues.

edit-
I received them all, and though I didn't order these items for RHS, I felt I should add the results of my order. For the record, I ordered from Lightake.com on Nov7 (and chose DHL express shipping).

Tested:
DSi System Firmware Ver. 1.4.3U (DSiWare Shop is accessible, this is the current up-to-date US System Firmware 11/14/2011)
3DS System Firmware Ver. 2.1.0-4U (eShop is accessible, so I think this is the current up-to-date US System Firmware 11/14/2011)
Game used for testing was Kirby Mass Attack.

- www.r4ids.cn Gold 3DS (in light plastic clamshell package with TF reader): working without any flash updates.
Current kernel is Wood 1.39b (Link) -- Current game header is a little angel's Halo & Wings icon (a Japanese game from DORASU)

- www.r4idsn.com R4 3D Revolution for DS (in small cardboard box with TF reader): working without any flash updates.
Current kernel is Wood R4idsn 1.39 (Link) -- Current game header is SpongeBob 's Atlantis Squarepantis THQ

dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't expect you to update your post after receiving your shipment. Thanks a bunch. I was originally going to order from Realhotstuff, but they haven't replied to my email and it's been a few days now. I was going to try 0shippingzone, bu they require alertpay, and alertpay doesn't accept mastercard.

I'll try ordering from Lightake due to your recent experience with them.

Edit: Is : http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Newest_R4i_Gold_Revolution_for_3DS_DSi_DSL_NDS-36776 the R4i Gold that you ordered?

I want to purchase the R4i gold 3DS from r4ids.cn (http://www.r4ids.cn/r4ids-e.html).

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Description:Newest R4i Gold Revolution for 3DS DSi DSL NDS, Item #:36776 , Note: Lead Time: Typically 3 to 7 calendar days from ordering
Unit price:$10.51 USD
Qty:2
Amount:$21.02 USD

Description:R4 3D Upgrade Revolution for 3DS/DS/DSL/DSi/DSi XL/LL, Item #:36808 , Note: Lead Time: Typically 3 to 7 calendar days from ordering
Unit price:$10.23 USD
Qty:2
Amount:$20.46 USD

Those are exactly what I ordered (there were a couple other things too), but because I accidentally used a different paypal email address from my lightake account address, they only provided tracking of shipment, not what was in the order, and the order isn't actually tracked in my account. If you're going to use PayPal make sure you create your Lightake account in the same exact email address.

So, to answer your question, yes, the cartridge you linked is the correct R4i Gold 3DS cartridge that runs Wood and works on the 3DS current System Firmware.

P.S. The card inserted into the plastic clamshell has a kind of 3D effect, I can't remember what the effect is called, but it uses plastic ridges over print to make an illusion.

P.P.S. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern is the type of effect, and I tried to mention something else but my internet died for an hour and a half:
Despite my ordering problem which was a result of not following instructions, they did ship within 4 days and so I received my shipment in Tucson, Arizona via DHL on the 7th day (Ordered a Monday, received the following Monday). The hub that received the shipment from Shenzhen/HK is in Cincinatti, for what it's worth.

dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again. One more question, if you accidentally update your 3DS before your flash card, will the flashcard be bricked, or will it simply not function on the newly updated 3DS until it's updated with a DS/3DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSxl of a low enough version?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It simply won't function. It may not even display anything on the Home menu (which is what happens if I put an original r4 cart in my 3DS).
You would have to actually load a specific type of software on the flashcart itself which accesses/updates the flashcart's onboard firmware in order to brick it.
Do you have any friends with a DS Lite or phat system (or a DSi that doesn't use the DSiWare shop) that might be able to run the update for your cart for you, if you accidentally make such a mistake?

dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't. These things are so cheap that I wouldn't have a problem just ordering another anyway.

Edit, found an answer to my question. Thanks

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the products they sell are either counterfeits or simply unlicensed third-party products. But one of the things in my order was a component video cable for my PS2 slim because I have an LCD TV, and getting a new one designed for a PS3 (backward-compatible) at a retailer would cost me 4 times what I was charged or more. I only spent like $7 on the one I ordered and it works. I wouldn't call it sturdy or fancy, but it was new and it works.

I've bought things from Shenzhen/HK based shippers a dozen times now in the past couple years, only received one item that was actually broken but still partially worked but it was just an LED keychain. Had a couple unhappy orders the first time around because I wasn't familiar with GBAtemp at the time and I just basically got tricked into spending a lot of money to express a really shitty flashcart to myself based on a compatibility chart and a "Only GENUINE" guarantee. It was definitely not Lightake though. I can't recall the name of the site but there actually was an ad for 0shippingzone in my box with the contents/invoice (though that wasn't the site I'd placed the order from). If I can think of the site I'll edit for posterity. Heh, I remembered now. It was www.ishopvideogame.com which appears to be under reconstruction now.

Added you as a friend btw. Hope you get what you're looking for ^_^

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.joystiq.c...w-3ds-firmware/

forgot about this. hope you didn't get that game for your 3ds, cause it will almost certainly break the compatibility with the r4's. i'm personally holding out until i'm sure there's a bypass/fix for flashcarts blocked by the as-yet-unreleased major update that is supposed to be this month.

right now this is the only thing that requires you to update beyond the firmware i tested on, the eShop still gives access apparently.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RHS is very reputable and reliable, with fast shipping if you're located in the states; however, I'm not sure how that would go with being in Canada. I've purchased pretty much all my NDS and GBA flashcart solutions from RHS, and I haven't had a single issue from them.

dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.joystiq.c...w-3ds-firmware/

forgot about this. hope you didn't get that game for your 3ds, cause it will almost certainly break the compatibility with the r4's. i'm personally holding out until i'm sure there's a bypass/fix for flashcarts blocked by the as-yet-unreleased major update that is supposed to be this month.

right now this is the only thing that requires you to update beyond the firmware i tested on, the eShop still gives access apparently.
Nah, I'm good. The only 3DS games I've played on my 3DS are OoT and Ghost Recon. My version is still 2.1.0-4U.

Lightake just shipped the R4i on Friday, so hopefully I get it within the next two weeks.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you know, that I installed the 3.0.0-5U system update on both of my 3DS and the r4ids.cn R4i Gold 3DS is still working with the same Japanese DORASU header.

I couldn't even get the 2.2.0-4U updater that installs the Japanese Spongebob header to work on it. It just fails the cartridge check in my DSL and DSi XL, tried both updater files. I think this happens because it's already compatible.. *shrug*

The official 2.2.0-4U updater on the similar R4iDSN.com card did update it to the Japanese Spongebob header just fine, for what it's worth. Which is also working with 3.0.0-5U.

dreameaterlol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you know, that I installed the 3.0.0-5U system update on both of my 3DS and the r4ids.cn R4i Gold 3DS is still working with the same Japanese DORASU header.

I couldn't even get the 2.2.0-4U updater that installs the Japanese Spongebob header to work on it. It just fails the cartridge check in my DSL and DSi XL, tried both updater files. I think this happens because it's already compatible.. *shrug*

The official 2.2.0-4U updater on the similar R4iDSN.com card did update it to the Japanese Spongebob header just fine, for what it's worth. Which is also working with 3.0.0-5U.
Thanks for the update.

I'm still waiting for my card. Today will be the 14th day since it was shipped, but that's not unreasonable considering I just chose free shipping. Hopefully it's shipped within a week from now.

Edit, it just came today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably not I got cross play friends