Homebrew RAM editing glitch on any 3DS, might lead to an exploit?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, i guess there is probably no link between smileBASIC and arm9 execution. at most we would get a userland exploit.
No, currently we're talking about Petit Computer, its earlier counterpart. There might be a link to that and arm9 code execution.
But what if we don't have one of the x% which do run in dsi mode?
Point is, there's nothing to lose.
Fair enough.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only problem I can see is that Petit Computer was taken off the eshop long ago, I doubt anyone has it anymore.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only problem I can see is that Petit Computer was taken off the eshop long ago, I doubt anyone has it anymore.
I bought it a couple years ago, I should redownload it from CDN...
That's what my point is about not bothering to look into it. We should just have our devs look into other attack vectors that hold more promise and potential reward. Either that, or have them look into DSi mode in general, and potentially create an exploit there, which could then be ported to Petit Computer, not the other way around.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
No, currently we're talking about Petit Computer, its earlier counterpart. There might be a link to that and arm9 code execution..

even though for a VERY weird reason SmileBasic requires (and has) pxi:dev, that doesn't always mean ARM9 code execution and downgrading! iirc the last ARM9 code execution exploit was patched after 9.2

I know this was harsh, but get real, people!

Reactions: Seriel

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
--can't quote quotes--

Becase you re-quoted yourself, I assume you meant the other thing, that you could run DS(i) homebrew in DSi mode, and not ARM9 keksz-sploit.

Sorry if I offended you, but there are too many nooby posts in this thread :(

Trinitro21

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's any possibility of Petit Computer being similarly exploitable. It doesn't have resizable background layers like SmileBASIC does, and so BGSREEN doesn't even exist there.

Reactions: Seriel

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Becase you re-quoted yourself, I assume you meant the other thing, that you could run DS(i) homebrew in DSi mode, and not ARM9 keksz-sploit.

Sorry if I offended you, but there are too many nooby posts in this thread :(
There are too many noobs on GBATemp smh [I'm not one of them] I don't blame you
But yes, I did mean a potential arm9 kexploit.

Last edited by Swiftloke,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
But yes, I did mean a potential arm9 kexploit.

wat :wacko: now you're confusing me :sad:

As I said earlier, because we have pxi:dev, that doesn't mean we'll have ARM9 kernel exploit, it just means if we find one, it'll be easier to exploit from SmileBASIC (assuming we find a way to ROP first)
Chances are we'll find an ARM9 exploit is extremely low, and SmileBASIC has nothing to do with it.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wat :wacko: now you're confusing me :sad:

As I said earlier, because we have pxi:dev, that doesn't mean we'll have ARM9 kernel exploit, it just means if we find one, it'll be easier to exploit from SmileBASIC (assuming we find a way to ROP first)
Chances are we'll find an ARM9 exploit is extremely low, and SmileBASIC has nothing to do with it.
No, petit computer, rather DSimode in general might have something to do with an arm9 kexploit.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
No, petit computer, rather DSimode in general might have something to do with an arm9 kexploit.

Well, if you mean Petit Computer, and DS(i), and ARM9, then it's an userland exploit (well, considering the DS is bare metal, there's no userland :P)

And DSi mode has nothing to do with 3DS mode (exception is fwTool), so no ARM9 kernel exploit for you :glare:

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you mean Petit Computer, and DS(i), and ARM9, then it's an userland exploit (well, considering the DS is bare metal, there's no userland :P)

And DSi mode has nothing to do with 3DS mode (exception is fwTool), so no ARM9 kernel exploit for you :glare:
Actually, I think there might be a way. Except I'm on a phone and am too lazy to write it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work