Gaming Radiant Historia

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
The final boss is a complete pain... It's essentially four increasingly hard battles in a row, so it's more a battle of attrition than skill. Maybe I should try different party members 'cause the ones I'm using aren't working for me. It wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying if the damn thing didn't have skills that greatly reduced your Mana Burst, killed your MP, inflicted you with poison that deals 150 damage a damn turn or that insane attack that takes off half your health even if you've buffed your MDF and are Guarding before the attack strikes...

Oh well, I'll beat the boss later. Mayhap I'm just fighting too offensively and should try a more defensive approach.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think I may have hit my limit with this game. Played for a little over 10 hours, and then bam, I come to a boss fight in which one melee round sees two of my three party members wiped out. Now, I wouldn't say I grinded at all, but I put in about as much time in combat as I would have with a DQ game. This is the kind of lumpy difficulty spikes that make me loath modern FF games. For context, I've finished Demon's Souls literally about 15 times, most of those new-game-pluses and double-pluses, so I'm no wimp when it comes to RPGs. But mindless grinding ain't gonna cut it for me anymore. It's truly a shame, though, as this game has one of the best JRPG stories I've experienced in years.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GeekyGuy said:
Well, I think I may have hit my limit with this game. Played for a little over 10 hours, and then bam, I come to a boss fight in which one melee round sees two of my three party members wiped out. Now, I wouldn't say I grinded at all, but I put in about as much time in combat as I would have with a DQ game. This is the kind of lumpy difficulty spikes that make me loath modern FF games. For context, I've finished Demon's Souls literally about 15 times, most of those new-game-pluses and double-pluses, so I'm no wimp when it comes to RPGs. But mindless grinding ain't gonna cut it for me anymore. It's truly a shame, though, as this game has one of the best JRPG stories I've experienced in years.
There are always cheats, like Exp multiplier (which I just love in RPGs).

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
geekyguy, i think if it's in the main story you may really die, it's okay, try the other timeline. if it's a side quest, you just gotta wait a little further in the story and go back the time.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GeekyGuy said:
Well, I think I may have hit my limit with this game. Played for a little over 10 hours, and then bam, I come to a boss fight in which one melee round sees two of my three party members wiped out. Now, I wouldn't say I grinded at all, but I put in about as much time in combat as I would have with a DQ game. This is the kind of lumpy difficulty spikes that make me loath modern FF games. For context, I've finished Demon's Souls literally about 15 times, most of those new-game-pluses and double-pluses, so I'm no wimp when it comes to RPGs. But mindless grinding ain't gonna cut it for me anymore. It's truly a shame, though, as this game has one of the best JRPG stories I've experienced in years.Where are you at?
I've done 0 grinding.
I've actually skipped a lot of fighting and I was underlevelled for most of the game.

[EDIT]

QUOTE(Wintrale @ Mar 2 2011, 07:51 PM) The final boss is a complete pain... It's essentially four increasingly hard battles in a row, so it's more a battle of attrition than skill. Maybe I should try different party members 'cause the ones I'm using aren't working for me. It wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying if the damn thing didn't have skills that greatly reduced your Mana Burst, killed your MP, inflicted you with poison that deals 150 damage a damn turn or that insane attack that takes off half your health even if you've buffed your MDF and are Guarding before the attack strikes...

Oh well, I'll beat the boss later. Mayhap I'm just fighting too offensively and should try a more defensive approach.
Ahaha, you should see the optional boss.
That fight isn't even fair and makes the final boss seem like a cakewalk.
You should grab some resistance accessories.
Buffs in this game help a lot.
And poison works on all bosses with a surprisingly high rate of success.

A resistance of 8 is full immunity I believe.
You can use 3 +2 all resistances and Aht's resistance buff.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
geekyguy, i think if it's in the main story you may really die, it's okay, try the other timeline. if it's a side quest, you just gotta wait a little further in the story and go back the time.

Nah, it wasn't one of those deals where it says "fin" and sends you back to Historia. This was a full-on "game over" that brings you back to the title screen.
laugh.gif

@SignZ Yeah, I may just do that, so I can still enjoy the story. I just hate using cheats unless it's simply to piddle around. I really dig the combat, otherwise, but I don't want to be doing it endlessly just to gain five to 10 levels for a single fight.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GeekyGuy said:
Narayan said:

Nah, it wasn't one of those deals where it says "fin" and sends you back to Historia. This was a full-on "game over" that brings you back to the title screen.
laugh.gif

@SignZ Yeah, I may just do that, so I can still enjoy the story. I just hate using cheats unless it's simply to piddle around. I really dig the combat, otherwise, but I don't want to be doing it endlessly just to gain five to 10 levels for a single fight.
As an aside, Aht's traps are super overpowered.
Like, ridiculously so.
I hope you abuse the heck out of them.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Zarcon said:
GeekyGuy said:
Narayan said:

laugh.gif

Like, ridiculously so.
you've only seen aht's traps? check out the eruca's all hit skill forgot the name. i always use eruca and aht with me, but don't use the traps anymore, i like aht's cross skill, forgot the name again. makes grinding easy. just make sure you always do a preemptive attack

EDIT: and i'm glad there are still those who play this and not ignore this for Black/White.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zarcon said:
Like, ridiculously so.

Ah yeah, but unfortunately, she's not in my party in the node I had to go back to...
where you search and disarm all of the bombs within the sand fortress

But I'll keep her in mind for the future, as I've really only been using my three starting characters, with the exception of using aht's greater heal outside of battle.

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Narayan: Eruca's all range spell is great too, but it does half as much damage as Aht's (advanced) traps. She's a great boss killer and for the optional boss fight she's mandatory basically.
Of course, I was probably about 10 levels under what I should be for that fight...

@GeekyGuy: I didn't have any trouble that early in the game...
How are you going about the fight?
Magic scales up quite well. Make sure to give Raynie a MAG focused spear.
Use Stocke and Marco to push back the front line soldiers first and foremost, but ideally stack 3 guys on one square for Raynie to blast a spell at.
Use mana burst to give yourself one really long turn to take advantage of the stacked soldiers.
You might even consider giving Stocke a MAG focused sword for him to cast Fire on the stacked soldiers as well.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Zarcon said:

Where, or more like when, is the optional boss? (I assume after finishing the story, but what timeline and node)

Zarcon

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SignZ said:
Zarcon said:

Where, or more like when, is the optional boss? (I assume after finishing the story, but what timeline and node)
You can access him a fair bit before the last boss.
You have to collect all of Stocke's, Aht's, and Eruca's skill pacts then talk to the trainer again.
If you haven't found the trainer, he's in Chapter 6 Standard History. Waiting at Skalla or something. He's way left in the wastelands in a well.
There's a sidequest/skills sticky on the Gamefaqs forum if you can't find everything on your own. Some of them are really hidden.
Be ready to be trolled hard when you fight him.
I'm not kidding when I say the fight is just outright unfair.

As an aside, there's an extra epilogue if you clear all the sidequests in the game.
And all the ending scenes are a bit different depending on which sidequests you've cleared.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
May I ask... How is this game? I was a bit hectic on playing it due to the fear of it being another simple RPG with nothing special. Plus yugimanz and pogeymanz came out while I was in the middle of MMBN5 DS.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
well, for me it looks like sand of destruction. storyline's good. there are two storylines to follow, when you're stuck in one, follow the other which will unlock something so that you can continue the other storyline. my only complaint is just taht there's no sprite for walking diagonally. but it's not a big deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL