Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, it looks like everything around there has melted and has burn marks.
Well it seems like they first unsoldered the top left chip, when that didn't work/was too hard for the average person, they destroyed the resistor or w/e it is that is thus getting its power cut off, when that worked they decided to tell people to cut the signal line instead of telling them to destroy the part.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re: melted and burn marks

Look at the potting/epoxy, chances are that is a different board between the shots.

Anyway nice to see updates and something thinking about being hacking appearing as part of this. It might actually be interesting again at some point.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wayyy too much DSTwo love around here. I've hated em ever since they sent out a shoddy batch to resellers (and the reseller refused to swap). Been too long since then to return it anyway. Suffice to say I've never seen another flashcart with such bad quality control as the DSTwo (especially for their price range).

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
wayyy too much DSTwo love around here. I've hated em ever since they sent out a shoddy batch to resellers (and the reseller refused to swap). Been too long since then to return it anyway. Suffice to say I've never seen another flashcart with such bad quality control as the DSTwo (especially for their price range).

resellers not replacing them, guess you shouldn't buy from dodgy resellers as the ones I know replaced defective models.

price range for them lol, they're the only ones with a CPU inbuilt

considering R4's originally were $85 haha

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The iplayer was supercard by a different name. The ISMM was an OEM iplayer but with ROM loading functions by the ismartds team.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
The iplayer was supercard by a different name. The ISMM was an OEM iplayer but with ROM loading functions by the ismartds team.

ah ok, couldn't remember
shame they both died off but the DSTwo was the result and works amazingly

wonder how other cards are going to cope with the 6.0.0-X update
as there is indeed hardware blocks aimed at specific teams and cards

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely and I've never had to cut any signal lines on anything before so this not 'noob' friendly I suppose, this was very new to me and I almost chopped the side of board!
I guess everyone should stick with a DSTwo or something
How about I almost chopped off my finger? Lmfao!!!!

stephysanrio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
risky business lol

I'm only going to cut mine when I hear back from the team about some stuff
Hey I asked about why was it needed to cut off the line BUT the sales team don't know much, they just said only the engineer knows lol maybe you have better luck :b I was just trying to help

Orbiting234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ran the update (have NOT cut line) on my DSi and although successful, it still says "Sys:NDSi 1.45&3DS5.1.0-11" under the help information within Wood. Shouldn't they have changed this line to reflect it's 6.0.0 compatibility? Not going to cut it until I know for sure I am indeed updated.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
OK guys, we kinda need this info known widely so post this

the Rev C carts indeed need the line cut AFTER! you have applied the update
this is due to a new Hardware block introduced by 6.0.0-11/12

carts rev 9 & A DO NOT! need any cuts and work fine after you have ran the update .nds

I don't think Rev9 & RevA will last that much longer though

I have asked the question about will the Rev C's be updatable after the line has been cut

Nintendo are indeed using more hardware blocks as well as headers
So basically Nintendo managed to properly detect the cart? Or?
I wonder what this affects though. If the chip can no longer communicate (that's likely what they mean by signal line), that would no doubt affect some sort of aspect of functionality wouldn't it? Otherwise why is the chip there in the first place if it's not needed?

x
Cheaping out is pretty much buying any less reliable flash cart (ie: anything that isn't the DSTwo) simply for the reason that it's less expensive. I've never understood why someone is willing to cheap out and buy $10 or $12 carts time after time rather than just finding the $35 to drop on a DSTwo when firmware updates are a big part of their purchasing decision to begin with. With the comfort of never having to worry about pesky firmware updates since the Supercard team stays on top of it, it is clearly the smarter choice if firmware updates are an issue.

With an update like this out for one of the last DS carts that is even somewhat supported on the 3DS, I think the average flash cart buyer would be regretting purchasing this cart about now.
Did you ever stop to think that some people might not be interested in all the extra features the DSTWO has?

The r4ids.cn team have shown themselves to be quite reliable, maybe they don't update as fast as SuperCard, but it's certainly a good choice if you don't care about the extra features enough to pay close to 4x the price for it. I don't see any reason why people shouldn't buy it, especially now that it has RTS too (at no added cost)

No one could have predicted that this would happen. The main issue is that they likely will not make any repairs or replacement for people that botch the card trying to cut the line.
It's not like it's the team's fault that this happened, though, so there's no reason it can't happen to the DSTWO as well. Price has little to do with it.

Don't get me wrong though, DSTWO owners are probably very happy about their purchase right now. I know I'm relieved this didn't happen to the DSTWO (at least so far), but if Nintendo can detect this flashcart, who says they can't detect the onboard CPU of the DSTWO as well?

My question is, even though I'm not an R4i owner yet, what does cutting the line do? What happens if you apply the update patch, but don't cut the line? And are these cards going to still be flashable in the future?
I'm wondering about that last thing as well. I assume it will, as they haven't said otherwise, but they might be afraid to mention it in fear that they will lose sales.
Since it specifically says you have to update it before cutting the line I do have my concerns though. Maybe the new firmware uses a different method to patch that doesn't rely on the chip unlike the current one, that's just a theory though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2