XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello there.
I'm a new mmember wich registered today

I bought a 3DS XL last wek wich is on firmware 4.5
Right now i'm using r4 card,but sooner or later i'll get Pokemon X
and the 3Ds will ask me to update..
Does that r4 support 8.1.0.19E version??
Or should i get a new r4 card?
Thank you. :)

planetarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to compile facts to ensure all details are clear:

* You have an R4i 3DS RTS flashcard. This is a regular NDS card, and cannot play 3DS games.
* The R4i 3DS RTS (again, regular NDS card) still works on the latest 3DS firmware. (source: I own one and use it on 8.1)
* You are currently in possession of a 3DS running version 4.5.
* 4.5 is the last version capable of running actual 3DS flashcards, so updating it would kinda be a waste.

Recommended: Stick with 4.5. Buy a 3DS flashcard (e.g. Gateway) and set up emuNAND. Update emuNAND to 8.1. Then you can buy Pokemon X and play it in Classic Mode, while not losing flashcard compatibility.

Alternatively: Go ahead and update. Your R4i 3DS RTS will continue to work, but you'll most likely never be able to use a 3DS flashcard afterward.

Also an option: Hardware mod and make a backup of your current NAND so you can revert to 4.5 later if you decide to get a 3DS flashcard.

As a final note: If you decide you're not interested in a 3DS flashcard, perhaps consider trading your 4.5 XL to someone who has an 8.1 and is looking for a 4.5 =)

Reactions: BestR4i3DS.com

3DSDestroyer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for your help guys.
Now i updated my R4 to 1.80b kernel.
Should i safely update my 3DS

What confuses me is because when i go to the R4 config menu,it says that can only support 7.2.x firmware.!?

BestR4i3DS.com

Trophies
Website
www.New3DSCard.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help guys.
Now i updated my R4 to 1.80b kernel.
Should i safely update my 3DS

What confuses me is because when i go to the R4 config menu,it says that can only support 7.2.x firmware.!?

The R4i 3DS RTS can work well on lower version 3DS, don't need update to V7.x or newest firmware.

we just tried our V4.1.x 3DS with the V1.80b English kernel, all is ok,
can go to R4 Config menu without any problem, in the config menu, it allow your do some settings, upgrade card and change skin.

Please format your memory card and try the English kernel for a test

Blueie

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You don't need to update to play Pokémon X. As people said, you can set up emuNAND and run the cart from classic mode. You don't even have to purchase a Gateway for that.

But if you choose to update instead, I strongly recommend you perform a NAND backup first so that there's the option to revert back to 4.5 via hardware mod. You don't need a 3DS flashcart or anything extra to do the backup, all you need is a compatible DS flashcart, which you already have.

planetarian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want to run 8.1 in emuNAND, last I checked you do still need a Gateway, because classic mode won't run in 8.1+ without the Gateway inserted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok