Hacking R4 Issues (I'm fairly new)

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm fairly new to R4 usage and have only seen it in action, never done it myself. I've done a little reading on how to make this stuff work but I have yet to succeed.
I have an R4 revolution cart, 2gb micro sd, and formatted to FAT32. I keep getting an error on load saying "couldn't find ds menu dat"
I've tried installing a few different firmwares but either it doesn't read it when I boot up the ds, or I get the error message.
After downloading the software (I hope I'm installing it right) I extract the files straight to the sd card, so I have the rpg folder with everything in, the the ds menu data file below.
If I am doing this wrong any help would be great. Many thanks.

20180425_230404.jpg

Last edited by MrOptimistic91,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are SOO many variables here, aside that THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT SECTION, this is a tutorial section. please ALWAYS search for the correction section before posting on a random one... that being said.
That looks like an Original R4 for the DS, so you should try its kernel: http://download.r4ds.com/v1.18/R4_v1.18_English.rar

However, just R4 that worked on a 3DS before, will work once the 3DS its hacked.

So i need to know what console are you trying to use this R4, if its a NDS or a NDSI, the original R4 IIRC does not support 1.4.5, which was the last update for the DSI.

So:
  • What System are you trying to run this on?
  • What Firmware are you on?
  • What Logo appears on the console menu when the cartridge is inserted? Spongebob? Bomberman? a Japanese Game?

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Scarlet, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong place, I had a quick browse through the forum and thought this was the most appropriate place.

To answer your questions, I'm using a NDS lite, firmware 5 I believe (2 pink screens)
And I don't get a logo pop up when I enter the cartridge, not sure if that's normal?
Also the 1.18 version is one that I tried and it gave me the error message saying about the ds menu dat file.
Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can you format the MicroSD as FAT and not FAT32? The original R4 only supports SD cards up to 2GB (yes, there are SDs with 4GB but they are very, very uncommon. Most 4GB cards are SDHC which doesn't work with this card).

Yes, it's normal that it skips the menu.
While the kernel Scarlet linked should work with your card https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4-1-62-f32256.html is the way to go. It's much better.

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Technicmaster, I know that it skips the ds menu phase when it actually works, but Scarlet asked what logo popped up when I insert it, I just don't get anything come up as it won't read the cartridge.
I can format the sd to both FAT (as default) and FAT32. I've tried both with several versions of wood software and nothing so far. Just about to try what you and Scarlet suggested though and I'll report back shortly. Thank you both for your help.

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right I just got finished trying both, of these, the V1.18 actually boots but loads the error message "couldn't find DS Menu Dat" and the V1.62 doesn't even read so it just loads me to the DS main screen with no cartridge inserted.
I don't know if it's the way I'm installing it, or if I'm missing something?
So I download the file "V1.18" then open it with winzip > Extract to > R4 cartridge (which is formatted as FAT32) and that is where I eject the micro sd from computer, and insert into R4 and pop in the DS.
I don't know if I need to do anything else or if there is something I'm doing wrong.
Many thanks for you help and any further help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is what it looks like.
1.png
2.png
3.png

tvoretz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know which one I have to use for these, I've been using FAT32 - 4096 bytes.

View attachment 121473
Use FAT, Default allocation size. Also, move the files from the "English" folder to the root of the SD card.

Edit: It looks like you're using the original R4 menu. That stopped being updated in 2008; you should probably be using WoodR4 instead for compatibility with later DS games. You can download it here. Put the files in your SD card like this:

MOyqNNE.png

Last edited by tvoretz,

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi tvoertz, I've actually used that firmare already a couple of times and had no luck. I extract the firmware direct to the sd card so it's already in the root of the sd card. 1.62 won't even load up the error message, though I do get the message with older versions of firmware.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi tvoertz, I've actually used that firmare already a couple of times and had no luck. I extract the firmware direct to the sd card so it's already in the root of the sd card. 1.62 won't even load up the error message, though I do get the message with older versions of firmware.
The message appears before the flashcart launches anything on the SD. It means that the flashcart can't read wood versions before 1.62, but it can't correctly read 1.62 either. You can try another microsd card (again, maximum capacity 2GB and formated as FAT, not FAT32) or the flashcart might be broken.

Reactions: MrOptimistic91

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Technic, so far I've been using only one sd card and it was used in my phone years ago. Also I've been using fat32 format. I'll see what I can do and hopefully it will work.

MrOptimistic91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The message appears before the flashcart launches anything on the SD. It means that the flashcart can't read wood versions before 1.62, but it can't correctly read 1.62 either. You can try another microsd card (again, maximum capacity 2GB and formated as FAT, not FAT32) or the flashcart might be broken.

Hello again, I've reformatted the SD card and managed to get the error message on 1.62 version, but obviously still no luck with it working 100%.
Do you have any other suggestions? I formatted as FAT instead of FAT32 which seemed to be what made it read it at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/rMHTo4sAYKA?si=UTMogWR09JOPIPF_