Hardware R button home button not working correctly(details inside) NEW3DSXL

pokemonshuffler12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new 3dsxl , and starting yesterday the "R" button for some reason does not respond to pressing R. However, when i enter a game, it seems the R button is automatically pressing R. an example is when looking in a pokemon box, or choosing between different ISLANDS, it constantly pressed r to shift to the next box or island without stopping. and i can only temporarily stop it by pressing L, or another button. This also happen in Badge Arcade, where it constantly shifts between the arcade, because i can see the R button on the top right corner being constantly activated, only stopping temporarily.
I decided open up the 3ds to look at the shoulder R, button.(11.4 SYSTEM, and it does have homebrew on it, no cfws, or any downgrading)

I thought the spring was loose or something, as other online forums suggested, but when i checked it dint seem out of the ordinary, the shoulder button ZR dint have the same issue as the r. the R button was slightly dirty, but i cleaned up. I reattached all the cables back, after unattaching them, turned on the game, and still did the same thing, automatically pressing on the R button, without any mechanical pressure on the button. Also i can click the camera button with just the L button, since the R is on auto.

Second thing i did was attach the cable thing to the n3dsxl "circuit/motherboard" but did not screw the shoulder buttons back in place. It still did the same thing, auto pressing the r. The only way i could stop it is, not-connecting the shoulder button. I looked on some other forums, shortcircuiting from water or other liquids couldve caused the auto-pressing, or i did drop it quite a few times, but it only noticed it yesterday.
even without the spring in place it did nothing. Is the spring important.

The last issue is the home button, for some reason it works somewhat fine if i press the home button while in a game, it goes into the main menu, However, when I try the same thing when i pressed the power button which showed "power off" or return to home menu, by pressing the button, it does not work.

Anyone had this issue? i also checked around for damage, nothing seems out of the ordinary then the r button seems a little "worn" not alot from overuse.

Last edited by pokemonshuffler12345,
D

Deleted User

I have a new 3dsxl , and starting yesterday the "R" button for some reason does not respond to pressing R. However, when i enter a game, it seems the R button is automatically pressing R. an example is when looking in a pokemon box, or choosing between different ISLANDS, it constantly pressed r to shift to the next box or island without stopping. and i can only temporarily stop it by pressing L, or another button. This also happen in Badge Arcade, where it constantly shifts between the arcade, because i can see the R button on the top right corner being constantly activated, only stopping temporarily.
I decided open up the 3ds to look at the shoulder R, button.(11.4 SYSTEM, and it does have homebrew on it, no cfws, or any downgrading)

I thought the spring was loose or something, as other online forums suggested, but when i checked it dint seem out of the ordinary, the shoulder button ZR dint have the same issue as the r. the R button was slightly dirty, but i cleaned up. I reattached all the cables back, after unattaching them, turned on the game, and still did the same thing, automatically pressing on the R button, without any mechanical pressure on the button. Also i can click the camera button with just the L button, since the R is on auto.

Second thing i did was attach the cable thing to the n3dsxl "circuit/motherboard" but did not screw the shoulder buttons back in place. It still did the same thing, auto pressing the r. The only way i could stop it is, not-connecting the shoulder button. I looked on some other forums, shortcircuiting from water or other liquids couldve caused the auto-pressing, or i did drop it quite a few times, but it only noticed it yesterday.
even without the spring in place it did nothing. Is the spring important.

The last issue is the home button, for some reason it works somewhat fine if i press the home button while in a game, it goes into the main menu, However, when I try the same thing when i pressed the power button which showed "power off" or return to home menu, by pressing the button, it does not work.

Anyone had this issue? i also checked around for damage, nothing seems out of the ordinary then the r button seems a little "worn" not alot from overuse.
Sounds like this is a perfect chance to use Button test. You said you had homebrew so look at it here: https://github.com/blu-jay/button-test/releases/download/1.0/Release.zip

Just download it and run it. If you get the constant message that the R button is working, then it is broken. I would suggest buying another shell if that is the case. If you don't have that message, it is a different problem entirely which I don't know of.

(you don't have to use button test, just really happy something that could use it finally cropped up)

pokemonshuffler12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like this is a perfect chance to use Button test. You said you had homebrew so look at it here: https://github.com/blu-jay/button-test/releases/download/1.0/Release.zip

Just download it and run it. If you get the constant message that the R button is working, then it is broken. I would suggest buying another shell if that is the case. If you don't have that message, it is a different problem entirely which I don't know of.

(you don't have to use button test, just really happy something that could use it finally cropped up)
the R is in automatic press, it seems to prevent the home button from working properly, i disconnected the cables so it will not do that and the home button went on to normal. someone on the internet said it could be from short circuiting, when exposed to liquids, or dropping it. is there any place to buy a new shouder button, that is legit.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Looks like the R button is just dead, (broken inside and always pressed). Or maybe you could summerge the whole button thing in alcohol and shake it so if there is some dirt inside it goes away, and after letting it evaporate, try again.

D

Deleted User

the R is in automatic press, it seems to prevent the home button from working properly, i disconnected the cables so it will not do that and the home button went on to normal. someone on the internet said it could be from short circuiting, when exposed to liquids, or dropping it. is there any place to buy a new shouder button, that is legit.
Ebay is your best bet.

Or maybe amazon. I've only bought 3ds replacement parts once.

pokemonshuffler12345

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the alcoho trck I told you yet? Ebay is a good place.
where would it come out of, if i use the alcohol. I took the shoulder button and look at every inch of it, even clean some of the gunk that was around the button it did nothing. I suspect it was probably shortcircuited or damaged upon dropping it. i do have a habit of dropping it alot. other than the metal apparatus thats holding the platic nub of R, is slightly worn from use, i dont see any appreciable damage. ill probably get a new one from EBAY, if it doesnt work in a week.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
where would it come out of, if i use the alcohol. I took the shoulder button and look at every inch of it, even clean some of the gunk that was around the button it did nothing. I suspect it was probably shortcircuited or damaged upon dropping it. i do have a habit of dropping it alot. other than the metal apparatus thats holding the platic nub of R, is slightly worn from use, i dont see any appreciable damage. ill probably get a new one from EBAY, if it doesnt work in a week.
From the inside of the button itself. Just summerge the ribbon cable with the little push button at the end. It has small openings where the dust can come in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY