Quick question about installing a new graphics card

xakota

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how to do that, they're integrated graphics and I don't think I've updated the drivers.

Outrager

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to download them before you install it so it's ready to go when you reboot the computer with the new graphics card in it.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Outrager said:
You might want to download them before you install it so it's ready to go when you reboot the computer with the new graphics card in it.
Downloading is fine, installing is usually not a good idea.
Windows should use a default driver for basic usage (usually 640x480 for XP and maybe Vista, I think 7 can get default of 1024x768) which will allow you to install the drivers.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Rydian said:
Uninstall the current drivers from the Add/Remove Programs (Programs And Features) section of the windows control panel.

if you do not do so your card can blow off like mines and can never be used until and unless you replace it or repair it

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chhotu uttam said:
Rydian said:
Uninstall the current drivers from the Add/Remove Programs (Programs And Features) section of the windows control panel.

if you do not do so your card can blow off like mines and can never be used until and unless you replace it or repair it
troll comment.

You're not going to damage anything by not removing the driver.
The only problem you could run into is a possible conflict between the old and new drivers.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chhotu uttam said:
Rydian said:

You're doing it wrong if your graphics card blows off.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whilst it is possible for bad drivers to kill a graphics card, it's not likely. I would guess the chances are around 1 in 100,000 (based on the fact that I've heard it happen twice and seen it happen once - in each case the cards were RMA'ed as DoA).

As for graphics cards blowing up (what I assume is meant by blowing off)... the only time I've seen that happen was a direct result of a bad thermal paste job (it wasn't even thermal paste, which was the first mistake). The smoke was horrible, although I did manage to salvage the motherboard and CPU (but not the HSF).

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
Whilst it is possible for bad drivers to kill a graphics card, it's not likely. I would guess the chances are around 1 in 100,000 (based on the fact that I've heard it happen twice and seen it happen once - in each case the cards were RMA'ed as DoA).

As for graphics cards blowing up (what I assume is meant by blowing off)... the only time I've seen that happen was a direct result of a bad thermal paste job (it wasn't even thermal paste, which was the first mistake). The smoke was horrible, although I did manage to salvage the motherboard and CPU (but not the HSF).
He's not saying bad drivers, he's saying that drivers from an old card will kill the new one, which is 100% UNTRUE.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/wCF3ywukQYA?si=6tm165dpnERzPwSX