Hacking Question about game update packages that require FW> 4.05 to work for games that are FW <4.05

Muxi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi,
is there a way to make the game update files that have a higher firmware version than 4.05 editable so that they work for the corresponding games running with the FW up to 4.05? As an example: The game "Skyrim" runs with FW under 4.05, but needs for the current update v1.09 the firmware version 5.01.
Does anyone have an idea if that can be solved?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You could try with the elf patcher and fake pkg tools/gp4 tools to extract the update package, patch the version string and repackage: but does the update PKG have a key? This will need unpack/decrypting first.... may not work woth 4.05 currently....

Eitherway: if you install an update and it doesnt work or isnt "down-patched" properly you need to uninstall the entire game (apparently) to remove the update.

Last edited by KiiWii,

Muxi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've dumped all my game discs running under FW 4.05 and updated them as long as the update was under FW 4.05. Some of these games have updates that require a higher firmware version than 4.05. Is there a source where I can get these updates modified for FW 4.05?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've dumped all my game discs running under FW 4.05 and updated them as long as the update was under FW 4.05. Some of these games have updates that require a higher firmware version than 4.05. Is there a source where I can get these updates modified for FW 4.05?

According to PSXHAX forums the updates seem to need dumping and decrypting first before installation on PS4HEN too.. the updates I have installed must have been... @mschumacher69 is a fantastic PS3 scene member and knows more than I do for PS4 right now... wonder if he remembers me.... :P

Reactions: Muxi

Muxi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Has anyone ever tried the following?

How to lower the firmware requirement in ELF and PRX files
Example of lowering the firmware required for files compiled with the leaked 4.50 SDK (tested on 4.05) hex editing some bytes:

1. In the ELF section called "sce_process_param" we patch the reversed sdk version (there should only be one instance of the pattern):
search for "01 81 50 04" and replace with "31 80 50 03"
2. In the ELF section called "sceversion" we patch the sdk version (multiple instances of the pattern will be found):
search for "04 50 81 01" and replace with "03 50 80 31"
3. Resign it with flatz's make_fself.py or add it to a PKG with cfwprophet's Fake_PKG_Generator
4. Profit
5. A side effect of this is that if someone is able to dump games on higher firmwares (ex. 5.05) it SHOULD be possible to play those games in lower firmwares (ex 4.05) with this method, unless the games uses functionality added on newer SDKs

source: https://pastebin.com/r0xnS0wj

Last edited by Muxi,
Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Muxi this is what elf patcher utilises that I mentioned earlier..

Yeah AFAIK this Horizon version that is circulating has this applied to it.

Its Russian opening, but contains english language and text.

Looking forward to try it tonight :)

Last edited by KiiWii,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol our trash can decided to go flying and flipped on its side