m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys i got a quick question about the banning wave,

Well its like this, i havent been on live since ocktober 10th and i hadent played any burned games online cuz i had a temporarely ban(not a bad ban, i had my accoant blocked cuz my hotmail was hacked) and since i left the country for 3 months i havent played any games on my xbox.
So do you guys think ill be banned when i get back on XBL on januarie 10th?

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what if im banned, what does it do?
Does it make my HDD unusable or something?
Or my accoant?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it bans your 360 from ever going online again
locks out saving and loading games to the hdd
if you attempt to move the profile to another 360 it will corrupt it
so you cannot update gamescore, any saved games will also corrupt on an unbanned 360 if you attempt to move it

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But ive heard that the ban wave has stopped , so can i go on it safely or should i just avoid xbl forever?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As Joe88 said this appears to be detection rather than store up and do a banning "wave" like previous years.

You can restore or prevent the hard drive capabilities from messing up though (preventing is probably easier than restoring after the fact). We have already discussed them at some length in this section but there are three things
1) Nand write protect: you update offline and fiddle with the motherboard to stop the NAND being written.
2) NAND restore: you restore a pre ban backup- obviously you have to make one first.
3) NAND recovery: the NAND image itself has many layers of redundancy for wear levelling. You can almost always pull an old secdata.bin (the thing that allows hard drive installs) from the NAND dump.

All require you to fiddle with the motherboard and indeed I would suggest you have the capability of doing both 1 and 2. They are not that complex so I am not going to go in depth here but if you have questions on any of them post and hopefully someone can answer them.

Hard drives and live are the two things you lose from a "stock" ban and as you can prevent hard drives from going.....

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the help you guys,

Gues ill just keep the internet cable out and play my games , i should be safe then hopefully

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
o damn i more question, can i take my HDD to my friends house to update my stuff if i never went online on harddrive?

driverzx

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes you can, but if he has a modded console, you're seriously screwing him, don't forget. I had the same situation as you, sold my modded and bought an Arcade. And I like it.

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No he has a normal elite, i just want to update my gamerscore and download some arcade games and avatar stuff,cuz i still got 2000 MP left, so i can do that right?
Without getting him banned?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gamerscore will update fine, but if you buy any arcade games on his box, they'll change to trial versions when you take them back to yours as you won't be signed into live.

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How about avatar items? Cuz i got 2000 points on there and since i cant buy any games i wana spend it on something... Can i buy those?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC didnt seem to be affected
I installed in on one system, system got banned and moved the hdd to another 360 and dlc still loads fine

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Something that still makes no sense to me, lets say i got banned, and i still played, and one of my games saved... is it bye bye save file, or will it only get corrupt when i move it other to a new box? same thing goes for achievements i suppose ?
unsure.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only saving seems to corrupt it
that was the case with me anyway with fallout 3

loaded a regular save game
played a while, didnt save to it however the autosave was saving frequently
move to an unbanned 360
autosave shows up as a corrupted save, every other save is fine
profile is corrupt, have to recover it

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks

I carelessly left the network cable in my flagged 360 ( was streaming some things last night) and i had inserted the other end into my router. Turned on 360, went to get a glass of water... i had AUTO sign in on, for some miraculous reason i signed into live, when i came back it promted me for an update (havn't been on live since well i believe october) I only then realized that the network cable was in, i ripped out the network cable immediately from the back, tunred off the damn thing, turned it on ... still un banned - i think something out there loves me and didn't ban me xD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As part of the 360 security much of the save stuff and dashboard backend sort of thing was removed from the game developers and kicked to MS dash developers so this is why it is unilateral.

What happens is your 360's ability to sign data (namely your profiles and saves) for anything other than itself is dropped by deleting the secdata.bin which is what is restored by either restoring an old pre ban backup (but not too old so as to be before blown fuses), pulling the file from NAND dumps (it is already signed for 360 use there and it is there in the first place as the 360 will shift data around the NAND in an attempt to not destroy a sector) or stopping it beforehand by disabling writing to the NAND.

This is relatively new in 360 modding circles as only save game sharing types and "proper" modders (those sharing key vaults and the like) got hit with it before and even then it was a slight twist in that new dashboards would not load saves made by those 360s, speculation is happening as to whether it will be repeated but at the kind of scales we are looking at I doubt it will happen).

Old saves should still be signed but new ones will not be able to be signed hence "corruption" when trying to swap drives around.

A nice post on the older revoked list but it does have some info that is good here:
http://xorloser.com/?p=45

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
god microsoft is HARSH. isn't that a breech of your rights? it's your console you should be able to do anything you want with it as you payed for it, it's the same with nintendo with their firmware updates, a good example is you buy a brand new home decorate it to the way you like and the sellers come and demolish your home because they don't like the way you have designed your house.

m-dog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mhmm, if seen a youtube video about someone testing if he was banned, he took out the HDD and then tested his connection, and if the xbox was banned the code should be different, so can i just take it out and test if im banned without screwing up my harddrive?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN