cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have been messing around with getting Quake running on the Wii. I've downloaded multiple Homebrew Quake apps, specifically Quake GX 0.05 and Piko Quake GX 0.09. I was able to get 0.05 running and able to use the wiimote and nunchuck. I then found out that 0.09 has music support so I put the music files in the correct folder, booted it up and it loads. Music works fine, however when I start the game the nunchuck fails to respond. If it's plugged in and I start the game the movement is all wonky like if you had pressed the joystick before loading. I have to unplug the nunchuck to stop moving. When I plug it back it, it wont respond. I don't have this issue with 0.05, however it doesn't have music support. I tried to configure the controls in the game menu, but the nunchuck doesn't respond in the menu. For the movement fields it just has "???" I tried to copy the config file from 0.05 since it works, but apparently 0.09 doesn't read it because it didn't work. I tried 0.08 however I get the same issues with controls and no sound support. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Geekfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for reviving this, but I am also having the same issue. No issues with Quake GX 0.05, but when I updated the app to GX 0.09 for music support, the axis on the Nunchuck analog stick goes to the same direction.

I did find the "Quake Wii" Wiibrew wiki page, which advises to download version 0.08 instead, due to issues with 0.09 and later.

Unfortunately, the download link for 0.08 is dead, and there seems to be no mirror file of it on the web. Seems like the issue was never fixed for the past decade. The port project just went dead.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Apologies for reviving this, but I am also having the same issue. No issues with Quake GX 0.05, but when I updated the app to GX 0.09 for music support, the axis on the Nunchuck analog stick goes to the same direction.

I did find the "Quake Wii" Wiibrew wiki page, which advises to download version 0.08 instead, due to issues with 0.09 and later.

Unfortunately, the download link for 0.08 is dead, and there seems to be no mirror file of it on the web. Seems like the issue was never fixed for the past decade. The port project just went dead.
I've made a fork of it, organized, compiled the info plus instructions, and finally uploaded the Quake Wii related files from my archive, so it doesn't get lost again, hopefully. Check the list here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-wii-ports-ultimate-thread.571230/

Last edited by niuus,

cokeman118

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've made a fork of it, organized, compiled the info plus instructions, and finally uploaded the Quake Wii related files from my archive, so it doesn't get lost again, hopefully. Check the list here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-wii-ports-ultimate-thread.571230/
I just revisited this again. I downloaded piko quake 0.09. still having nunchuck issues. The analog stick doesn't respond. The buttons seem to respond, just not movement. Has there ever been a fix for this? I can't find anything relating to it. I want to use this version because it has music support. I tried older versions and nunchuck movement still doesn't work. Can't map it either. GameCube controls work fine however.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello,

I have been messing around with getting Quake running on the Wii. I've downloaded multiple Homebrew Quake apps, specifically Quake GX 0.05 and Piko Quake GX 0.09. I was able to get 0.05 running and able to use the wiimote and nunchuck. I then found out that 0.09 has music support so I put the music files in the correct folder, booted it up and it loads. Music works fine, however when I start the game the nunchuck fails to respond. If it's plugged in and I start the game the movement is all wonky like if you had pressed the joystick before loading. I have to unplug the nunchuck to stop moving. When I plug it back it, it wont respond. I don't have this issue with 0.05, however it doesn't have music support. I tried to configure the controls in the game menu, but the nunchuck doesn't respond in the menu. For the movement fields it just has "???" I tried to copy the config file from 0.05 since it works, but apparently 0.09 doesn't read it because it didn't work. I tried 0.08 however I get the same issues with controls and no sound support. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

I spent some hours checking all of the ports. I couldn't get Quake Wii to work, at all (which you both seem to be mistakenly naming Quake GX?), so I couldn't confirm the Nunchuk issue.

I then tested Quake GX, whis was the most stable, and faster loading of the bunch. No issues here. All the controllers mentioned on the release page work 100%.

I just revisited this again. I downloaded piko quake 0.09. still having nunchuck issues. The analog stick doesn't respond. The buttons seem to respond, just not movement. Has there ever been a fix for this? I can't find anything relating to it. I want to use this version because it has music support. I tried older versions and nunchuck movement still doesn't work. Can't map it either. GameCube controls work fine however.
I added one more engine, which claims to have music support, you should download it and try. That one was the clunkiest for me, configuring the controller was a mess so I left it as-is. But the game plays fine. Tested the extra missions pak and Quake II.

Last edited by niuus,

Webardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hello, it might be a tad too late to comment this, but something I´ve noticed is that the nunchuck issue shows up with a real controller in both Dolphin and Wii. However, if you were to emulate the Wiimote in Dolphin, you can move without issue.

Quite a shame really, as this port has a great control scheme that complemented with the soundtrack, would make for a lovely way of playing Quake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch