Hardware Purchasing a PS3 (New Slim or Used Fat)

Shinintendo

Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
I would've gone with the slim only because the fat is more prone to YLOD.
and some stuff got better like the proccessor in the slim.
+ less power using = less global warming XD

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
keine said:
Okay.....that fell through I believe. So I'm kinda paniking now cause I NEED MY JAILBREAK, before sony destroys this. I just don't want to be stuck with a PS3 thats already sealed up.

SHOULD? I be worried about PS2 BC?
Wasn't there a rumor or news that Sony would be reintroducing PS2 BC into all PS3's late 2010? Also, should I be worried with the propsed PSX2 port coming to the PS3?
Would you be worried about that? I own a PS2 as well. Its just PS1/PS2/PS3 library versus just PS1/PS3......guess its not THAT big of a deal. but.
The only reason I was looking at the phat's was due to the PS2 BC.

You want PS2 playback just buy a PS2, they're what, $30 these days?

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
keine said:
Okay.....that fell through I believe. So I'm kinda paniking now cause I NEED MY JAILBREAK, before sony destroys this. I just don't want to be stuck with a PS3 thats already sealed up.

SHOULD? I be worried about PS2 BC?
Wasn't there a rumor or news that Sony would be reintroducing PS2 BC into all PS3's late 2010? Also, should I be worried with the propsed PSX2 port coming to the PS3?
Would you be worried about that? I own a PS2 as well. Its just PS1/PS2/PS3 library versus just PS1/PS3......guess its not THAT big of a deal. but.
The only reason I was looking at the phat's was due to the PS2 BC.

You want PS2 playback just buy a PS2, they're what, $30 these days?

hmmmmm. 300$ YLOD or 30$ PS2.

well, i went with 300$ YLOD. i'm a fricktard. lets hope it doesn't die.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WOW!

I just bought a PS3 Phat 60Gb.....and its SO NICE.
Seriously...it makes my Xbox360 look like a joke and toy. The sixaxis without the rumble packs are SO light. At first I thought they were missing the batteries....and they charge via USB. WTF, M$.
The XMB is gorgeous and intuitive. This makes the M$ dashboard look sickly.

I'm serious....this is mind blowing. Its a piece of art. I'm impressed with this machinery.
Now lets all circle around and PRAY its doesn't YLOD. I don't think it will....its been well taken care of AND i'm going to give it plenty of air.
i had no idea.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Probably should have gone for the slim. This 60gB is pretty dang loud. Louder than my Wii and Falcon 360 combined. Its kinda annoying, really. 10-15 minutes on resistance or XMB, and I believe I'm getting alot of air movement. Its not any irritating sound, its just lots of air. The console was well well taken care of, so I believe the dust factor to be low, but I'd never now without cracking it.

Anyways, I don't know if it bothers me enough to sell it. I've been reading for a couple of days about the fan noise, and it seems to be a total 100% crapshoot. However, there are people who complain of noise on the slim too. So hit and miss these days with consoles. I could replace the 15 blade w/ a 19 if I don't already have it. I could replace the power supply. I could redo the TIM. But why waste all that just for a silence. I'd be halfway to a slim.

IDK. Torks me off.....not to mention I could in theory YLOD anyday. But, IDK.
Should have heeded the Slim advice. I bought this thing for pretty reduced however....100$ off a slim with an extra fantastic controller, so its kinda mox nix. However, if I actually ever do utilized the PS2 functionality....I don't know.

Thinking about maybe replacing TIM, but also scared shitless on if I screw up. I don't know how much a warranty sticker is worth on a X year old console anymore. I could sell it either way really.

I have the cash to pick up a slim in the meantime...maybe compare them. I don't know really at this point. W/ my luck, I'd get a noise slim too. lol. UHG. Maybe just feel it out for a bit.

What do you guys think I should do. I want a jail breakable console for sure. I'm thinking of opening up this PS3 and trying new thermal paste (AS5). I doubt a warranty sticker is worth much. I also might just go down and buy a new PS3 slim at the moment, just to be safe. If I get this one working, I just sell the slim. If not, I sell the fat.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just went out and bought 2 new slims, they are as loud as the wii, seems quite silent. To be honest I dont remember how loud my wii is since my friend has it for months now. but the slims are quiet, since they have a big fan that spins quite slow. i'd sell the ps3 and get a slim. less ylod, less laser issues, less cost on the electricity bill, and a ps2 console are cheap.. there was other reasons but i cant remember them.

but since you already got a original its really your call. and since you got money, buy a slim somewhere where they have a good return policy to test it out and see for yourself.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think I'm going down to buy a PS3 Slim on Monday.
I'll try get this Fat sold, I guess.
Thinking if there is any advantage to where I get it.
Gamestop or Wallie World. Amazon.com. I suppose it really doesn't matter.

EDIT: Bought a new PS3 SLIM. For a comparison of NOISE on the PS3 Launch 60gB versus the new SLIM 160gB....stay TUNED. Will be done by a 100% noise OCD fanatic, and you won't have to spend 600$ to make THIS comparison.
Full report SOON.

New Slim was 3.40!!!!! whew!

Got the PS3 all jailbroken, works great.

Now listen to me people: DO NOT WASTE YOU TIME WITH A FAT. They are LOUD!!! and hot/burning. Just get a slim. They did a revision for a reason. If you were like me....OH I might need the PS2 backwards.DON't. 1) Use your old PS2 Slim w/ Open PS2 Loader (SMB/USB/HDD Support and from I read its very very good) 2) PS3 has PSX support 3) Get a PSP for PSX 4) PSX2 emulator is slated for Jailbreak 5)Sony has a backwards compatible patent in the lines that points to PS2 addon in future 6) Are you REALLY gonna use it, I thought I would, but didn't. Listen to reasON!
More to come as I keep testing. 30minutes of 3D Dot Heroes.....and the Slim is as quiet as my Wii (You can't hear it at ALL). The phat at 30 minutes of resistance was on 3rd fan hair dryer mode. I'd check resistance too here soon.

EDIT2:

The slim DID step up to level 2 fan while playing resistance...and I was kinda shocked. So I decided to elevate it off the glass surface it was on with some wooden blocks since the bottom was pretty hot. Warm. Not burning. This may have alleviated all level 2 fan now. I'll keep testing.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, i've just bought a PS3 recently too (see pointless thread).
Now i am second guessing myself.
"Do I really need a Japanese 60GB PS3...?"
Might go out and buy a Slim and try to sell the 60GB Phat.
I already own a chipped ps1 and hdd-loading ps2.

keine

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you should try out
"Open PS2 Loader"
its a HDD/USB/SMB(network) loader for the PS2. its a beautiful beautiful thing and 100% open source. I can stream Jak and Daxter Precursor over network, and it works 100% perfect. ditch the noisy 1st gen PS3. It was WAY too loud for me.
after I elevated it onto some blocks (the bottom still get hot), the thing stopped ramping up fan at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.