Ergo Ego
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Sony isn't going to take Nintendo's 3DS challenge lying down.

The format-holder is preparing a swift reveal for the true PlayStation Portable successor, due at Christmas. As was reported yesterday, the first announcement is pencilled in for January 27th.

Most importantly: the format-holder is pitching the device as a high-end portable equivalent of its next-gen home console, with rich games content to match.

Sony has told licensees the device ‘is as powerful as the PlayStation 3’.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/42499/PSP2-as-po...t-for-Q4-launch < Source

Well... its certainly a good progress theyve made. If its true then its good on em for making such a powerfull handheld

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so what... battery life is going to be like 2mins of playing time then? Either that or you'll be carrying around a back pack with 2 car batteries and a power inverter in it.
rolleyes.gif

Really tho I hope the battery life is decent if this is a true statement.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sony have about as good of a track record with their claims of power as Apple.

What this probably really means is that on a handhelds screen held at arms length the games look almost as good as a PS3 on a HDTV.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Been years since the PS3 has been released, new technology and etc... and from Sony it really wouldn't surprise me.

Although it'll be more like comparing the PSP to the PS2, close but not quite.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
it makes sense if the screen is reasonably sized.
the PS3 needs major processing powers because it's supposed to be able to output 1080p, a resolution of 1920*1080
if the PSP2 screen resolution is just 640*320 as on some of the recent mobile phones (N8 iirc) then it needs about 1/3rd of the processing power of the PS3 to achieve the same graphics
of course thats purely theoretical, in practice many other factors need to be considered... but it makes sense to me.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I strongly doubt it's "as powerful as PS3" even if it is, it's still barely going to sell since it's going to have to be pretty big for at least one fan for all the power as all the features they plan on throwing onto it as well, as a strong battery or it's not going to be on long

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not really.
PSP2 video chip is, according to rumors a Tegra 2-soc from Nvidia (28nm). Which is less than the PS3. Even when you calculate the smaller screen resolution with it. (It's still powerful, but no PS3 level)

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless something changes soon, this is bringing on the fall of videogames as most of us knew them. There's no content, nothing new, and it's just pieces climbing atop pieces to no real goal or worth.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course It can display near PS3 visuals! You know why? duh duh smaller resolution/screen, doesn't need to render as much as the PS3 has to. Powerful no way, visual yes as this is Sony.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dangy said:
Lol, battery life. Unless they mean same Graphics/Resolution ratio.
haha instead of Nintendo's half an hours playing warning as of 3D, Sony would have....

'Please be aware that Sony's PSP2 battery life lasts 5 minutes and do not forget to save every minute'

mellow.gif

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heartgold said:
Dangy said:
Lol, battery life. Unless they mean same Graphics/Resolution ratio.
haha instead of Nintendo's half an hours playing warning as of 3D, Sony would have....

'Please be aware that Sony's PSP2 battery life lasts 5 minutes and do not forget to save every minute'

mellow.gif

And saving would take over a minute. xD

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
it makes sense if the screen is reasonably sized.
the PS3 needs major processing powers because it's supposed to be able to output 1080p, a resolution of 1920*1080
if the PSP2 screen resolution is just 640*320 as on some of the recent mobile phones (N8 iirc) then it needs about 1/3rd of the processing power of the PS3 to achieve the same graphics
of course thats purely theoretical, in practice many other factors need to be considered... but it makes sense to me.
I would like to add that there's more to the PS3's power than just being able to output high quality HD graphics. The cell processor is sometimes used to calculate advanced physics and AI. Force Unleashed and GTA4 are good examples, both used some advanced physics engines which simulate realism in terms of how objects and people react to movement. I guess Crysis would be another such type game. I'm sure there are plenty more. Then advanced AI with smart enemies and NPC's, how they react to stuff happening to them (like if they sense a dangerous object flying towards them, they'll jump out of the way, or if they are falling and see a ledge, they'll try to grab on to save themselves).

So i'd have to say there's more than just the graphics at work in there. We'll see what Sony managed to pull off, but i somewhat doubt it's quite as powerful as PS3 in terns of everything. Maybe the games could look somewhat on par with the PS3 graphically, but i somewhat doubt it could pull off EVERYTHING the PS3 could do. At least with decent battery life. I don't mind being wrong though, would be interesting to say the least.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember people saying the same for the 3DS before the reveal. Didn't turn out true though
tongue.gif

It'll probably be slightly more powerful than the wii, but look better due to the smaller screen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...