PSP Custom Firmware Guide

PSP Custom Firmware Guide
Introduction

In this guide we will discuss the differences between the major custom firmwares that are most commonly used by the PSP, in this modern time, helping you to choose the custom firmware that best suits you.
There are really only 6 custom firmwares out there that are used nowadays, these include the famous 5.00 M33-6, 5.03 GEN-C and 5.50 GEN D-3 Final, 6.20/6.39 TN, 6.20/6.39/6.60 PRO and 6.39/6.60 ME.
There are two types of custom firmware

1). Full Custom firmware, which relies on the use of the pre-ipl exploit and flashes a custom ipl onto your PSP. This makes the CFW firmware permanent on your PSP, where it will always be on CFW even after a shut down. These types of custom firmwares are only available for PSP 1000s and certain PSP 2000 models (Non Ta-088v3). These PSPs are termed fully hackable and allows the use of a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory Stick to recovery from a brick.
Examples that use this method is 5.00 M33-6, 5.50 GEN-D3 and 6.60 ME.

2). Light/Partial Custom Firmware, relies the use of a kernel exploit and rebooting the PSP into a Homebrew Enabled (HEN) Environment. This method is really only used on PSP 2000 with newer motherboards (Ta-088v3), PSP 3000s and the PSP GO. This is used because these new PSP models, patched the pre-ipl exploit, rendering the old method of full custom firmware not possible. These new PSPs cannot recover from a brick with a Pandora battery and Magic Memory Stick also.

For a more technical explaination, visit here.

Light custom firmwares usually involves flashing new modules to flash0 on the PSP, without replacing any existing ones, offering most features, if not all features of a full custom firmware. The only disadvantage to this type of firmware is that once you fully shutdown your PSP, you must reload the files to enter HEN/LCFW mode once again. Also because they only flash additional modules, the chance of bricking is minimal.
Examples are 5.03 GEN-C, 6.20 TN and 6.20/6.35 PRO

Although 6.20 TN and 6.20/6.35 PRO is strictly speaking a Homebrew Enabler (HEN), they offer more features than the usual HEN, therefore they are usually called Light Custom Firmwares, where if you fully shut down your PSP, you must load the HEN again to enter HEN mode again.

5.00 M33-6 {Download}

snap000.png

This Custom Firmware is a full custom firmware where it uses the pre-ipl exploit, and flashes a custom ipl to your PSP, such that the PSP will always be in CFW even after a cold reboot. This CFW is only available for PSP 1000s and fully hackable PSP 2000s (Non Ta-0088v3).

5.00 M33-6 is the latest and more than likely the last CFW by the famous Dark_Alex. It contains the usual set of features of a custom firmware like native ISO loading, plugin support, recovery menu, vsh menu etc. This firmware is said to be the very stable and offers the best homebrew and plugin compatibility. It offers support for the 1.50 kernel addon increasing homebrew compatibility, which is not featured in any other CFW.But due to the lack of updates, it lacks support of new PSP titles, making them only playable by patching the ISO using the Prometheus modules/addon by Liquidzigong.

Pros
•High plugin and homebrew compatibility
•Supports Popsloader, increasing PSX compatibility
•Support for 1.50 kernal addon
•Most stable 5.xx full custom firmware
•ISO Video Mount
•MS Speed Hack, improving speed of fake Memory Pro Duos

Cons
•Lack of support of new PSP titles without patching
•No native PSN access
snap001.png
M33.png
Recovery Menu (Left) and VSH Menu (Right)​
snap003.png
snap004.png
M33-6 EBOOT (Left) and MS Speed Access (Right)​

5.03 GEN-C and 5.50 GEN-D3 {Download}

snap005.png

These firmwares are custom firmwares developed by Team GEN of PSPGEN.

5.03 GEN-C is a light custom firmware which utilises ChickHEN and flashes additional modules to add plugin and iso loading functionality to ChickHEN.

5.50 GEN-D3 is a full custom firmware available only for fully hackable PSPs, namely all PSP 1000 models and selected PSP 2000 models.

There are few advantages to these firmwares, which are said to be based off the M33 CFW. The only real advantage as compared to 5.00 M33-6 is that it supports more new PSP titles without patching , yet due to the lack of support, it has fallen to same position as M33, where newer PSP titles must be patched for them to be playable with the use of Prometheus modules/addon.

Compared to M33, it is said to be less stable, buggy, offers less homebrew compatibility.

Pros
•Supports some new PSP titles without patching
•Supports Popsloader, increasing PSX compatibility

Cons
•Not very stable, containing many bugs
•Less homebrew/plugin compatibility compared to M33
•No MS speed hack, native PSN support or 1.50 kernal addon support
snap006.png
snap007.png
Recovery Menu (Left) and VSH Menu (Right)​
snap008.png
snap009.png
5.50 Prometheus Addon EBOOT (Left) and 5.50 GEN-D3 EBOOT (Right)​

6.20 TN-E/6.39 TN-A {Download}

TN1.png

6.20 TN is a HEN/LCFW developed by Total_Noob. It was the first publicly released 6.xx HEN causing the initial revival of the PSP scene in a 6.xx era.

6.39 TN-A is just a ported version of 6.20 TN-E for 6.39 OFW. It offers the same features and compatibility as TN-E.

This HEN is purely temporary based, where no modules are flashed onto the PSP, residing only in the RAM, thus there's zero chance of bricking. Although it is a HEN, it offers many custom firmware features including custom PSX/PSN PS1 support, plugins support, vsh menu.

Also due to the developer's stand against piracy, it offers no native iso loading support, but this is made up through exclusive features including a start-up password system and a recovery menu like feature, embedded onto the XMB, known as TN-Settings, where one can enable/disable plugins and change XMB/Game clock speed etc.

Unfotunately due to many haters/flamers complaining about the lack of native ISO support, TN HEN has potentially ceased any further developement, making TN-E potentially the last public TN-HEN released.

Pros
•High homebrew compatibility
•Password system at start-up
•TN-Settings, for changing configurations and enable/disable plugins on XMB
•Native PSN access
•Completely temporary based (Zero chance of bricking)

Cons
•No native ISO loading support
•No Popsloader support, decreasing custom PSX compatibility
TN2.png
TN3.png
TN-Settings (Left) and TN-Settings Configurations (Right)​

TN4.png
TN6.png
TN-Settings Plugins settings (Left) and Start-Up Password System (Right)​

6.20/6.35/6.39/6.60 PRO-B10 (L)CFW {Feature List/Latest version download}

20110805150546.png

6.20/6.35/6.39/6.60 PRO-B10 is a (L)CFW developed by Virtuous Flame and Coldbird , based on the kernel exploit used by Total_Noob's HEN and the kernel exploits used in some1's 6.60/6.39/6.38 Downgrader. This CFW is currently the only 6.xx open source CFW.
Also due to it being open-source, many existing PSP devs have joined in the developement of PRO cfw, and now is actively developed with many new features being integrated eg. MS Speed Hack and ISO video mount.

This firmware flashes additional modules to the flash0 of the PSP, thus there is a slight chance of bricking. These firmwares, has native iso loading support, plugin support , custom PSX support, recovery menu etc. The most promoted feature, at the moment, is its Inferno ISO Driver, which is based of the M33 driver, but is fixed of its many bugs, therefore promoting high ISO compatibility of newer PSP titles.

There is little difference between the 6.20 and 6.35/6.39/6.60 version. The only difference between the two, is that the 6.20 version has a 'Permanent Patch' option. This option allows the replacement of the vshmain module, which is loaded as soon as the PSP boots, with another signed custom vshmain module, which loads the flashed PRO modules upon start-up, creating a type of 'Full' custom firmware, in a sense that it automatically boots into CFW mode even after a coldboot. This option is available for any PSP model(including the PSP GO and some PSP 3000s) that came with a default 6.20 or less firmware.

The 6.35/6.39/6.60 version does not contain this option, thus you must load the LCFW EBOOT to enter CFW mode after each coldboot. This option is not available due to Sony using a new signature key for 6.3X+ firmwares.

This Custom Firmware is also the first 6.XX CFW to support Popsloader, where developer, Virtuous Flame, developed a new Popsloader for 6.xx PRO CFW, increasing the support/compatability for custom PSX games.

Pros
•Inferno Driver, increasing compatibility for new PSP titles.
•Native PSN access support
•Permanent Patch option for 6.20 version.
•If Permanent Patch is used, pressing select at startup will boot into Official Firmware.
•ISO Video Mount
•MS Speed Hack
•Open Source CFW and is in constant developement.
•Popsloader support, increasing custom PSX support

Cons
•Flashes additional modules to flash0, therefore there is a slight chance of bricking, but it is minimal.
•Lower homebrew/plugin support compared to 5.xx firmwares.
PRO2.png
PRO3.png
VSH Menu (Left) and Recovery Menu (Right)​

PRO4.png
PRO5.png
Permanent Patch EBOOT (Left) and Permanent Patch Installation Screen (Right)​

6.39 ME-9.7/6.60 ME-1.6 (Minimum Edition) {Latest version download}

20118515172.png

6.39 ME-9.7/6.60 ME 1.6 is a custom firmware developed by Neur0n.

There are 2 versions, one being a full custom firmware which flashes a custom IPL, only available for PSP 1000s and certain PSP 2000s (Non Ta-088v3).
The other version being a Light Custom Firmware, which only flashes additional modules and is not permament, this version supports all PSP 1000/2000/3000/GO models.

There are no differences between the two regarding features, only one being permanent while the other isn't.

This CFW contains all features of a modern custom firmware including PSX support, native ISO loading, plugins support, vshmenu, recovery menu etc.
This CFW is slowly becoming a sucessor of M33, as it slowly begins include many features included in M33 firmware, like the MS Speed Hack.
It is a firmware that is still in it's development stages, thus it's degree of stability is unknown, but it offers a feature, where if you push HOME Buttom upon boot up, 6.39/6.60 official firmware is loaded instead.

In order to install this firmware, the user's PSP usually must already be on a Homebrew Enabled Environment or in an existing custom firmware.

Also due to it being a custom firmware of the latest official firmware 6.60, it should offer support for the newest PSP titles.

Also this CFW is one of the few 6.xx CFW to support Popsloader, where developer Neur0n developed a patch/plugin, known as popsbridge, which utilises the existing 'Popsloader for 6.XX PRO', making it compatable on ME CFW.

Pros
•Custom firmware of the latest official firmware, thus giving all features of latest official firmware
•Native PSN access support
•Ability to enter official firmware by pressing HOME Buttom on start-up
•High ISO compatibility, with 5 ISO drivers (ME,Normal,M33,OE,NP9660)
•Plugin manager in VSH Menu
•ISO Video Mount
•MS Speed Hack
•Popsloader support, increasing custom PSX support/compatability

Cons
•Still in its developement stages, thus stability in unknown
•Less homebrew/plugin support compared to 5.xx formware, but seems to have the best 6.xx plugin support
ME8.png
20110626174729.png
6.39 ME EBOOT (Left) and VSH Menu (Right)​
ME2.png
ME0.png
VSH Plugins Manager (Left) and 6.39 OFW Options (Right)​

Conclusion

Overall 5.xx custom firmwares offer more homebrew and plugin support, due to the fact that most homebrew have not been updated to support 6.xx firmwares.
They also offer more custom PSX support, as popsloader is supported. But due to their lack of support , ISO compatibility has become low without patching, making these firmware slowly becoming a thing of the past.

6.xx custom firmwares are slowly becoming the most used custom firmware at this time. Although they offer less homebrew/plugin/PSX support, they are still in development, and are in constant improvement, yet they do offer high ISO compatibility of newer PSP titles and native PSN supprot. Also with new motherboards models appearing on new PSP 3000/PSP GO models, coming with a default 6.xx+ firmware, these 6.xx (L)CFW are available for any PSP model that came with 6.60 or less firmware, making it the most compatible firmware in this modern age.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great guide!
QUOTE said:
Although 6.20 TN and 6.20/6.35 PRO is strictly speaking a Homebrew Enabler (HEN), they offer more features than the usual HEN, therefore they are usually called Light Custom Firmwares, where if you fully shut down your PSP, you must load the HEN again to enter HEN mode again.

Thank you! I've searched a lot if HEN would be permanent or not, and the is the second answer I got, just wanted to confirm it!

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
whats the best FW to use for PSN access? ive been wanting to play my copy of PSP2 for awhile now

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
nugundam0079 said:
whats the best FW to use for PSN access? ive been wanting to play my copy of PSP2 for awhile now
I don't know about any merit or demerit you would get in accessing PSN from a hacked state, so I guess accessing it from OFW is the 'safest.'

6.20 PRO-B5 offers a permanent patch, but installing it is optional. If you don't, you'll be able to access OFW when cold-booting or when you choose the 'reset device' option in the VSH menu. To load the HEN back, you only have to boot the fast recovery homebrew (which is signed to work on OFW) and you'll be in Homebrew Enabled mode.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
6.39 PRO can be made permanent on non TA-088v3 motherboard 2000's and all 1000's via the custom IPL flash. On all other models it's temporary - they're restricted to 6.20 PRO if they want a permanent PRO firmware, and some 3000's don't even have that option (07/09G models)

mh6275

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a great guide. Thanks for the info. One quick question. With the Vita coming out and since UMD passport will not be available in the US, I want to save my UMD isos to be able to play them on Vita. I'm not interested in dumping something I don't already own and really don't want to have to buy it again. I have an old 1000 to use for CFW and a new 3000 to play on. Which CFW will best suit my needs? Thanks in advance.

StoneSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thank you for updating, KevFan.

this is an impressive, intuitive and informative guide.

now, for me, with a hackable 2000, i'm still left with a M33 v ME v PRO choice...

i love the stability of 5.00 M33 and its homebrew and plug-ins,
the custom themes are cooler and with prometheus patches, just about game will play well

6.60 PRO for new PSP features, games.. and the current development of online gaming happening

and 6.39 ME for a good stable CFW for games/homebrew/plug-in use..
and things like easy popsloader and booting into OFW..
progressing on to 6.60 ME as it is updated further

the choices for the other 2 main groups - the 6.20 allowable and the non-6.20 allowable..
is a whole different dilemma..
but guides like this help a great deal.

keep up the good work :)

sinchobe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so say I want to do this for me and two friends so we can play MH portable 3rd (preferably prepatched) I have OFW 6.60 on a psp 2000, my friend has a psp 2000 and his brother has a fat psp. Just to be safe, could I just put the LCFW 6.60 on all 3 models? All 3 psps have never been modded/hacked before so would 6.60 PRO or ME be the best option for this? Can all psps have the temporary cfw? I don't mind having to boot it up each time I reset (I usually keep it in standby anyways) and in preparation, we are all getting new memory sticks for this. Any answers to this and additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
LCFW 6.60 works on every PSP model (including the Go and E1000/Street), yes. And yes. it's temporary by default (it can be made permanent, but not on every model). Just stick with temp since, as you know, sleep mode is easy.

Go with PRO just for this, and run the installer and then choose to uninstall after you're done with the game if you want.

sinchobe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LCFW 6.60 works on every PSP model (including the Go and E1000/Street), yes. And yes. it's temporary by default (it can be made permanent, but not on every model). Just stick with temp since, as you know, sleep mode is easy.

Go with PRO just for this, and run the installer and then choose to uninstall after you're done with the game if you want.

Thanks so much! I've heard some hassle with save data, so I'm getting new memory sticks (magicgate ones) and my friends need larger ones anyways. So just get PRO B-10 will be the best bet for us? Thanks again, after reading up on this, I feel much more comfortable that I won't brick my system. This seems a lot easier than when I modded my Wii!

sinchobe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it'll be fine.

PSP modding used to be an annoying process involving game exploits like with the Wii, but both of them have gotten way easier lately (the wii with the mail bomb thing, PSP with signed execution allowing XMB exploits to run natively).

Modding the Wii was really easy, getting the backups to work gave me some trouble at first though. I really feel like I SHOULD get a new memory stick but I was wondering how beneficial that would actually be. I have an 8 gb right now, and I can clear up some space, (which I'll need for MH anyways) I guess I could back everything up, my laptop has seen better days though.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, ive been out of the PSP scene for a long time..... long story short, my dog destroyed my PSP phat.... came home and it was in a million pieces. i had 5.00 m33-4(or 6?) on it and i loved it. it ran everything perfectly. well now im going to buy another psp and was wondering if i should upgrade to the 2000 or 3000... and if so i would like to know if anyone ever found a way to install cfw on them instead of using the HEN stuff.. id love to just install 5.00 m33-4 on it and leave it at that if possible. any help is appreciated!!! thanks!

edit: and i read the top of this thread... but its over a year old...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
hey, ive been out of the PSP scene for a long time..... long story short, my dog destroyed my PSP phat.... came home and it was in a million pieces. i had 5.00 m33-4(or 6?) on it and i loved it. it ran everything perfectly. well now im going to buy another psp and was wondering if i should upgrade to the 2000 or 3000... and if so i would like to know if anyone ever found a way to install cfw on them instead of using the HEN stuff.. id love to just install 5.00 m33-4 on it and leave it at that if possible. any help is appreciated!!! thanks!

edit: and i read the top of this thread... but its over a year old...
You want to check the stickies in the actual hacking section.
http://gbatemp.net/forums/psp-hacking-homebrew.224/

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. Available CFW's, main differences, pros and cons and even screenshots (Albeit broken right now0, perfect! Thanks again bud, please update your links to images if possible. Guide is excellent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw