chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the battery for sony's psp has a circuit board in it which counts the number of charge cycles that the battery has gone through (eg. the number of times that it has been re-charged) and will not charge once it reaches a specific number (I believe it is around 300 or 400 cycles).

edit: it is 500 cycles

does anyone know if a homebrew application has been written that would allow you to read the cycle counter from the battery and display how many times the battery has been charged?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Bull. No point to such a thing other than to sell batteries as such Sony would have been seriously ridiculed for using such a thing. The battery will work for ages, not 300-400 recharges. Mine's the original from an old PSP-1003 so its got to have been through 1000s by now.
Googling it this is one of the top pages that comes up so, yeah, I doubt this exists.

eleventh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you read up a little about batteries, you will find that ALL batteries have limited cycles.
I cycle is usually from a full charge to a complete discharge. Each cycle "damages" the battery, reducing the lifespan of the cell.
If I remember correctly, the number of cycles a battery is rated for is until the battery has only 80% capacity left. (Or that is how if works in the solar industry anyway.)

I wouldn't know if Sony did keep track of cycles, because not full discharges count differently to full discharges.

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
given that a "tool" battery is created by simply changing the battery's ID, I'm guessing that the cycle information is also stored on the small circuit board inside of the battery as well.

Jamstruth:
there is no bullshit about it, and sony isn't the only company that has cycle limits on their batteries. I've gone through 2 batteries for the last two DELL laptops that my company has provided me with due to hitting the cycle limits. the older laptop was a bit nicer and had a battery life tester built into the battery (like many camcorder batteries) that you could press to see the current charge level.

once the battery reached the cycle limit (which was just over a year's time), not only would it not hold a charge [at all], but the indicators would just flash alternately if you attempted to charge it with the laptop's ac adapter (the laptop would turn off immediately if you unplugged the ac adapter).

if you don't believe, google search it. in fact, many laptop models have applets to view the battery's "health"

edit:
http://us.playstation.com/support/manuals/psp/index.htm
excerpt from the psp manual (page 13)

Battery pack life
The battery pack has a limited lifespan. Battery duration will decrease will repeated usage and age. If the battery duration becomes extremely short, it may be time to replace the battery pack.
The battery pack lifespan varies depending on how it is stored, the conditions of use and environmental factors, such as temperature.

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
there is a counter in the battery, but it's to track the charge.
when the psp runs, the counter goes down,
when you charge it the counter goes up.

it's function is to stop the battery being overcharged & damaged.

if you fully charge the battery,
backup the eeprom,
run the battery down,
then restore the eeprom dump,
it will never recharge past that point - so dont try it!

for laptops there are a few calibration tools for this stuff, but i dont know the details.

Tear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I thought that when the battery reaches the same potential difference of the charger, it stops being charged.

Electricity is my area, and I had this kind of conversation with my professor earlier this year.

It's obvious that laptop batteries and PSP batteries ARE indeed different.

If you ever opened a laptop battery, you will see that they are that large battery (that goes in the old kind of flashlights) and they are connected in parallel. What prevents the battery from exploding is a mini circuit that is designed to protect. If this circuit is poorly concepted (like some DELL laptops from 2005 if I'm not mistaken) it will short circuit and the battery WILL explode.

Seeing several pictures of PSP batteries opened, I can see that there is no such thing.

About the cycles and the manual.
A battery of lithium ion WILL decrease the ability of holding charge with time. It's completely normal.
There is no such thing that this has anything to do with the cycle. Only with the TIME and the TEMPERATURE the battery is exposed.

Also, a very commom mistake.
Lithium ion battery DOES NOT suffer from memory effect. You can charge it anytime on the cycle.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
Jamstruth:
there is no bullshit about it, and sony isn't the only company that has cycle limits on their batteries. I've gone through 2 batteries for the last two DELL laptops that my company has provided me with due to hitting the cycle limits. the older laptop was a bit nicer and had a battery life tester built into the battery (like many camcorder batteries) that you could press to see the current charge level.

once the battery reached the cycle limit (which was just over a year's time), not only would it not hold a charge [at all], but the indicators would just flash alternately if you attempted to charge it with the laptop's ac adapter (the laptop would turn off immediately if you unplugged the ac adapter).

if you don't believe, google search it. in fact, many laptop models have applets to view the battery's "health"

edit:

Battery pack life
The battery pack has a limited lifespan. Battery duration will decrease will repeated usage and age. If the battery duration becomes extremely short, it may be time to replace the battery pack.
The battery pack lifespan varies depending on how it is stored, the conditions of use and environmental factors, such as temperature.
What jamstruth was saying "bullshit" on was that sony put in a counter to tell the battery when ti die purposely, outside of (and before) it's normal death.

MLRX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
What jamstruth was saying "bullshit" on was that sony put in a counter to tell the battery when ti die purposely, outside of (and before) it's normal death.
what do you mean by that?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:
the battery for sony's psp has a circuit board in it which counts the number of charge cycles that the battery has gone through and will not charge once it reaches a specific number
This.

That's stating that sony put a device in the batteries to force them to die after a certain number of charges.

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
if the guy really thinks sony put a life counter in his batterys all he has to do is dump a fully good battery eeprom with "ospbt" and restore the dump to his "suicided" battery's.

good luck with the resurection.
biggrin.gif

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
thieves like us said:
Jamstruth:

edit:

Battery pack life
That is what I meant and if Thieves has had problems with laptop batteries dying after just ONE YEAR then I'd say that's a terrible practice. These batteries should absolutely survive more than one year. I have ancient Rechargeable NiMH batteries that only died a couple of years back. They still hold a bit of charge, though not for long. The worst part about his story is that his laptop was entirely non-functional even the AC adapter plugged in. Why should the companies FORCE you to upgrade your battery/your whole laptop if the battery is non removable because they say so. The battery is BOUND to still hold charge after a year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo