Banned
Trophies
Website
www.miqrojamie.me.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently have taken down the PSOne (PAL model SCPH-102) and was wondering, what methods can be used to perform the disc swap trick?

I have a burned copy of Gran Turismo 2's arcade mode on CD (PAL version) and would like to actually use it on my PAL PSOne.

Thank you! :3

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think the PSOne can do the swap trick, unless you use a gameshark/action replay type disc.

Only the very first release of PS1 (not PSOne) code SCPH1000/1001/1002 didn't have protection against swap.
Later edition of SCPH1002 (probably other countries too, but I can talk only about EUR console which I tested personally) got the protection, even if they didn't update the firmware serial number.

If there is really a swap trick working for PSOne, you should know that there are two type of swap : with or without TOC (table of content) of the disc.
If you swap after the TOC reading of the original disc, you can play only games which have equally or less track numbers than the original one.
You could do both type of swap with the first PS1, I don't know about PSOne.

If you use gameshark swap trick, I also don't know if it reset the TOC or not.

edit: I found a youtube video saying you need to double swap. probably to read the copy TOC then check the disc is an original then swap again to the copy.
no idea how good or true that video is, it doesn't show the game running.
Maybe you could do only one swap, instead of two, as long as the original TOC (number of tracks on disc) is equal or higher than the copy.

Last edited by Cyan,

miqrojamie

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.miqrojamie.me.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for your help and input on this. :)

Well, I tried both methods. Both times, the disc doesn't spin at a different speed after swapping, so I think they protected it.

Last edited by miqrojamie,

OfficialFBomb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can solder even barely, you can get modchip for like a few bucks and install that or spend a bit more for a cheat disc..

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Having tried all methods on a PSOne; swap trick, swap magic and modchip, I would recommend getting a OneChip if you can, which is a modchip specifically for PAL PSOnes. It works beautifully. If you wanna try the swap trick I suggest opening the console and placing a piece of cardboard onto the lid button so that the metal shielding holds it in place. This makes the trick much easier. Then take a PS1 retail disk that you hate and use it to double swap. You can tell when to swap by the noise the console makes.

Keep in mind that multidisk games will not work properly without a modchip.

Trophies
XP
Country
@Catastrophic What kind of noise is it supposed to make when I swap it around?

That said, I might either invest in a cheat disc or just buy the game, it's only £4.50 on eBay for a decently-conditioned original copy of both discs for the game. :P

You can buy a prechipped psone on ebay in the uk for about £35 - £40

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That said, I might either invest in a cheat disc or just buy the game, it's only £4.50 on eBay for a decently-conditioned original copy of both discs for the game. :P
You're supposed to own it anyway :P

Anyway, if you can't find any cheap modchip you can use, you can use an Arduino board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one