Hardware PSA: Do not use a third party dock with switch on 5.0.0

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i only will get the kick stand from nyko for the switch ^^ but its expensive.

3hours playing with coov sh500 dock and firmware 5.0and its living.
i make something wrong :blink:

D

Deleted-355425

No. It's been confirmed by backers on the Indiegogo page that it's the COOV board.
You must be thinking of the Switch-Con, which is actually made by the C-Force guys.
There was a rumor early on that the SFANS was just a rebranded C-Force, but now that the units have been shipped out to backers, it's obviously a completely different design than what they originally started with.
The COOV board is special because it's designed as a drop-in replacement for the original board, same form factor and everything, and a lot of the 3rd party docks i see on eBay can be purchased as shell only to put your original dock hardware in, or with hardware in it, which makes me think there's a high likelyhood they're simply buying the empty shells and putting the COOV board in them.

SFANS did have the C-force board in it when they made a handful for youtube reviewers etc but they got caught out for it and thats why they redesigned their dock which no one liked.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6UWFS5XGQ

Not sure you want to do even that ... :glare:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh his switch also broke on the dock on 5.0 youtube.com/watch?v=elOqMKln_WI
yes this metal stand but its expensive like hell around 20 euro!

and yes his switch broke and he is the one with the nyko dock from which this witch hunt goes out.
he said 3rd party docks brick the switch when 5.0 on the switch is.

but he has no proofs for his comment and witch hunt

Last edited by Liriel,

Onibi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had a crazy though thinking about this since I saw that it basically results in a sort of boot-loop / potential soft-lock.

What if the firmware is written to detect abnormal voltage changes / gitches to prevent a modchip and it backfired due to how third party boards work?

Am I cray cray?

(Not charging would be weird effect thou. But maybe it isn't. Dunno)
(I am only talking about the most recent 5.0.0 wave, which means a software change triggered it - not that some boards prior volted wrong)

Last edited by Onibi,
Reactions: HylianMario

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I don't get is why Nintendo hasn't provided official accessory documentation and requirements so third party manufacturers can make docks that safely work.

Reactions: HylianMario

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
5.0.0 added some hardware checks though.
It could go both ways, either the docks or either Nintendo's checks going apeshit with things not First-party made.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nyko hasn't had the best track record, in all honesty.
Yeah I did hear about the Nyko docks fucking up Switches, but have there been other reports about other third-party docks bricking Switches too?
Or is it only Nyko's at the moment?
If it's more than one company, then it's something on Nintendo's side too.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I did hear about the Nyko docks fucking up Switches, but have there been other reports about other third-party docks bricking Switches too?

There was even a lawsuit back in 2011 I think, Nintendo sued them over a Wii accessory, oddly enough. Then we have the aftermarket Xbox 360 coolers from them, and ending up giving many units the RROD. I sure as heck wouldn't want
to trust their products, but that's me.

Edit: It doesn't specify what brands? Maybe it's only them http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2018/03/15/psa-not-use-third-party-switch-dock-5-0-update/

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes there are problems with the scorel docks.

cforce and coov seems to be better because there are only a rare news with problems

Last edited by Liriel,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes there are problems with the scorel docks.

cforce and coov seems to be better because there are only a little bith of news with problems

It seems Nintendo is partly to blame, because of work they did under the hood to prevent hacking, which seems to screw up docks. Nice going.

Reactions: shadoom

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mmh then it would be with every third party dock from all companys.
And there should be thousands of messages of defect Switch be.
but there are only some messages and not many.

but the most problems has nyko and scorel.

i have no problems with the coov docks that i have around 5-6 months

Last edited by Liriel,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
mmh then it would be with every third party dock from all companys.
And there should be thousands of messages of defect Switch be.
but there are only some messages and not many.

but the most problems has nyko and scorel.

i have no problems with the coov docks that i have around 5-6 months
Mostly because not all Switch owners even bother with the dock, only some have modded ones.
I assume the "some messages and not many" would be due to that.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mostly because not all Switch owners even bother with the dock, only some have modded ones.
I assume the "some messages and not many" would be due to that.
i dont mean any modded dock.

i mean it would be at every user with a 3rd party dock and that would be thousand of users with defect switchs!
but its only some message over defect switch and that is to 99% nyko and scorel messages

Last edited by Liriel,

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after reading through this discussion and a few others on the web it seems that anyone who has the Nyko dock for sure noticed problems immediately or shortly after updating to 5.0.0. I have the Insignia dock, I updated my Switch and its remained on that dock since then because I was unaware of any issues like this until recently... there have not been any noticeable adverse effects from what I can tell. I've looked at recent reviews (Mar 12, 2018 and newer) for the Insignia dock and they have all remained positive, however that does not necessary mean those users are on 5.0.0. My conclusion is that that the Insignia dock is safe... probably. I'll probably refrain from using it until the root cause of this issue is discovered and this dock is proven safe. It's been a great dock otherwise. I can't speak for any other 3rd party dock, but if you have one of those rando portable docks from Amazon that barely work anyway... I would stay away for the time being.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work