PS5 event announced for next week [UPDATE 2] Event now set for June 11th

ps5 event.JPG

PlayStation has been pretty tight-lipped about its next-gen console, with only its controller, logo and some spec details unveiled. However, we will finally learn (a bit) more about the PS5.

Jim Ryan, the President & CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, announced via a PlayStation Blog post today that a digital showcase about the games launching on the console will air next week. The event which will run for "a bit more than an hour" to introduce "the next generation of games" from various game studios.

While it was not clarified if we'll finally get our first look at the console itself or get more information about its pricing, Jim Ryan assured that this event is part of a series of PS5 updates and that after next week, they will have more to share.

The online PS5 event is planned for next Thursday, June 4, at 1:00 pm Pacific Time which will stream on Twitch and YouTube.

:arrow: SOURCE

UPDATE 1 (1st JUNE 2020):

Sony have announced the June 4th event is postponed until further notice. More details to follow.

UPDATE 2 (8th JUNE 2020):

992a08b4bddfd83534d3efc012c3f804_1-png.212466

Many reports are coming in of users seeing pre-roll ads on Twitch for the PlayStation 5 event with an updated date of June 11th which puts it exactly a week after the original scheduled time.

This has now been confirmed by Sony.

Attachments

• ps5 event.JPG
    ps5 event.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 410
  • w5ojHmG.jpg
    w5ojHmG.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 992a08b4bddfd83534d3efc012c3f804_1.png
    992a08b4bddfd83534d3efc012c3f804_1.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by shaunj66,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's hoping it comes in under 600$ usd and is launched either in or before November. I'm also hoping it has support for 4k bluray movies, but that's neither here nor there. Definitely both consoles will be pushing the envelope and will force the PC scene to evolve. Exciting times.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PlayStation 5 500GB console will be priced at just $500 at launch, while the PlayStation 5 2TB console will be priced at $700 at launch.

I doubt there will even be a 500GB model simply due to how large all the games are, if we're speculating I think it's gonna be in the 800-900 GB range on the launch model if it uses an SSD. A larger storage option probably won't be available when it first comes out since people wont even have enough games to fill the capacity

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frustrating to think we'll most likely not get a launch date.
it's coming in like 5 months, do we really need a launch date? all we know is that it's coming at the end of the year in the holiday season (and that its gonna be DOPE :D)
Maybe earlier if theyre competing with series x so they pull a Saturn and release earlier than announced, who knows

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I doubt there will even be a 500GB model simply due to how large all the games are, if we're speculating I think it's gonna be in the 800-900 GB range on the launch model if it uses an SSD. A larger storage option probably won't be available when it first comes out since people wont even have enough games to fill the capacity
lets be real here, with an SSD that fast i doubt sony's going to release it with big storage

SonowRaevius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would probably be much more excited about the ps5 if it weren't for the fact that 3 years down the line the ps5 slim/pro will be out with better performance and storage and if the launching versions of consoles hadn't been plagued with issues.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Definitely both consoles will be pushing the envelope and will force the PC scene to evolve.
Eh, considering some custom PCs built in 2016 push at least 2 tflops more than PS5, not really. Glad consoles won't be holding PC back as much though, and I am definitely excited to see the first generation of consoles capable of achieving 60+ FPS in AAA games.

Reactions: Jonna

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would probably be much more excited about the ps5 if it weren't for the fact that 3 years down the line the ps5 slim/pro will be out with better performance and storage and if the launching versions of consoles hadn't been plagued with issues.
Yea, sony always makes slim cheaper versions
im just excited because of the new graphics. hey, maybe at a friends house i can see them playing it!
I just pray they change the ps5 design

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Eh, considering some custom PCs built in 2016 push at least 2 tflops more than PS5, not really. Glad consoles won't be holding PC back as much though, and I am definitely excited to see the first generation of consoles capable of achieving 60+ FPS in AAA games.
I highly doubt this tbh, console devs never use the extra horsepower the consoles have for performance, its for graphical fidelity. hence why so many games on the PS4 look nice, but have performance issues and run at 1080p 30fps. Even the UE5 demo, which demonstrated the technical capabilities of a console this powerful, ran at 30fps.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt this tbh, console devs never use the extra horsepower the consoles have for performance, its for graphical fidelity. hence why so many games on the PS4 look nice, but have performance issues and run at 1080p 30fps. Even the UE5 demo, which demonstrated the technical capabilities of a console this powerful, ran at 30fps.
The UE5 demo was running at 4K. I'm getting my increased performance numbers even if I have to force PS5 to run at 1080p, though a 10 tflop system should do just fine at 1440p too.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UE5 demo was running at 4K. I'm getting my increased performance numbers even if I have to force PS5 to run at 1080p, though a 10 tflop system should do just fine at 1440p too.
Console games need an option where you can switch between performance and graphical fidelity, that way people who hate 30fps can run the game at a good framerate, and people who like their game to look pretty can just run the game with all graphics and no framerate.

Reactions: Neo127 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Console games need an option where you can switch between performance and graphical fidelity, that way people who hate 30fps can run the game at a good framerate, and people who like their game to look pretty can just run the game with all graphics and no framerate.
I'd be very surprised if there isn't the option to choose the resolution (among what your display supports) for PS5/XBSX, since that will be the number one determining factor in performance. If nothing else it would also be nice to have the option to enable/disable post process effects on a game-by-game basis, since some implement effects like motion blur and film grain poorly.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: 64bitmodels

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some games have been giving options, so hopefully more games and more options will be given. Consoles themselves having some options would be neat too.

Reactions: Xzi

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking more the nvme. Custom controller and all that. It's super neat what they can do with it since it's a specialized system. Stuff that's only doable in an environment like that will be difficult to replicate on a PC for a few different reasons. It'll be interesting to see how much sony will require them to make use of it to, or whatnot.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking more the nvme. Custom controller and all that. It's super neat what they can do with it since it's a specialized system. Stuff that's only doable in an environment like that will be difficult to replicate on a PC for a few different reasons. It'll be interesting to see how much sony will require them to make use of it to, or whatnot.
From what I understand they've basically just implemented an improved version of texture streaming directly from the SSD/HDD. Certainly any improvement in that regard is welcomed, but I don't think it'll be too hard to replicate in the long run, and in the short term we're probably talking about losing a few seconds of extra loading time. Not exactly the end of the world.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
So sad its barely getting 60 fps. Looks like the PS5 will have as much power as a mid range Nvidia card thats out right now. But by the time PS5 releases the ampere nvdia will be out and be in a league of its own. Minimum I see ps5 1440p 60 fps for all games. Unless they push higher detail graphics then what they are doing now, then we're back to 30 fps.

Reactions: Xzi

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, I pray to God they wouldn't focus again mainly on the ULTRA HYPER FAST PS5 SSD!!

I'm starting to hate this SSD hype it's better if they announce some interesting game that fully demonstrate PS5 capabilities or some long awaited sequel.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: mathew77

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the backwards compatibility, I'm way more excited for the Xbox Series X than the PS5. Kinda seems like it's behind the curve on modern console convenience, but Microsoft has been investing.

I'm buying both, to be clear. I'm just kinda meh on PS5, but hyped as all hell for Xbox SX.

-Forza Horizon 4 vrooms in the background-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe