Homebrew Question PS4 Remote Play App?

PatrickJr

OP
Trophies
Website
grimtech.co.uk
XP
Country
Do you think there'll ever be an application that could allow the PS4 Remote Play App on the Switch? It's cool and all on the PC, but I would think it'd be cooler on the Switch.

If this can't be done, no worries.

Reactions: Deleted User

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So you hate reading.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

PS4 remote play, with joycons, fullscreen - achieved.

To get it working, follow this guide:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...ion--development/ps4-remote-play-joy-t3953197

To hide the navigation bar (and make the remote play app fullscreen), follow this guide - but choose the Oreo version of gravity box instead:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...ion--development/ps4-remote-play-joy-t3953197

ATTENTION this will remove the nav bar entirely - so no back button available. Joycon home button still acts like home, so you can navigate the android installation. A touch navigation replacement is also listed in the thread - there are others out there as well. To get the navbar back, enable it in gravity box and reboot.

As a Switch native app (Horizon): No.

The protocol is not open, but proprietary - and the people reversing it, also do it for for profit purposes. (the projects I am aware of.).

Reactions: Csmrcc

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As above it's possible right now on Android. As with anything on Switch Android right now, the joysticks aren't read properly as analogue - they always register as pushed fully in a direction, or not pushed. This will be fixed at some point with a better driver apparently.

I know one dev has an unofficial remote play app working for Windows, and is currently porting it to Android - who knows if he could be persuaded to port to native/horizon Switch homebrew (and even if so, we'd have to have hardware video decoding available to homebrew first, still waiting on that in general). He does charge for his app.

Realistically for the time being, go with Android as above.

oBluEx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As above it's possible right now on Android. As with anything on Switch Android right now, the joysticks aren't read properly as analogue - they always register as pushed fully in a direction, or not pushed. This will be fixed at some point with a better driver apparently.

I know one dev has an unofficial remote play app working for Windows, and is currently porting it to Android - who knows if he could be persuaded to port to native/horizon Switch homebrew (and even if so, we'd have to have hardware video decoding available to homebrew first, still waiting on that in general). He does charge for his app.

Realistically for the time being, go with Android as above.

My joysticks now work perfectly with Dolphin since i used the latest joycon_fix.zip. Flashed it through TWRP and it works fine. Nvidia Games/GeForce Now even runs fine with the joycons.

I've not tried ps4 remote play, but I'm interested now.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My joysticks now work perfectly with Dolphin since i used the latest joycon_fix.zip. Flashed it through TWRP and it works fine. Nvidia Games/GeForce Now even runs fine with the joycons.
The joysticks work, but see if you can do slow movement by pushing the stick a tiny bit vs. fast movement by pushing it all the way. AFAIK that hasn't been fixed yet, but I'd love to be wrong.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hasnt been fixed yet as far as I am aware of. Sticks are now identified as analog - but dont behave as analog. :) So any extension into any direction is still 100%. :) And sticks are only 8 way.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just seen this article leading to this github, re: "Chiaki, an open source PlayStation 4 Remote Play client". Builds provided for the main desktop OSes, if we wanted a (native/Horizon) Switch port we'd still have to wait for hardware video decoding to be available to homebrew, and I'm sure there'd be other obstacles to overcome, but it seems like a possibility for sometime in the future, and at least the up to date protocol has been tackled in an open source manner.

Last edited by hippy dave,
Reactions: notimp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: :( +1