PS4 firmware 7.55 exploit revealed by TheFlow

ps4-logo-png.216379
An exploit for the PS4's firmware 7.55 was revealed today by hacking scene member TheFlow. However, it was actually reported back in June 2020 and disclosed only today as TheFlow worked with Sony's HackerOne bounty program to patch this vulnerability. The reported exploit was marked as resolved in October. TheFlow also did similar disclosures with previous exploits he found and helped fix.

The HackerOne page notes that this vulnerability can cause a "fully chained remote attack" when used with a WebKit exploit, steal/manipulate user data and even dump and run pirated games. As such, it could be used together with the Webkit exploit from last December to jailbreak PS4 systems on firmware 7.55. However, no relevant files have been made publicly available regarding the FW 7.55 exploit with today's disclosure.

:arrow: SOURCE

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I already have an exploitable system (that I paid through the nose for). What I care about are people just getting into the scene who could have gotten any cheap used system or black Friday deal, who now have to scour the Internet in hopes of finding a rare, overpriced system that's under a certain firmware. It greatly increases the barrier to entry.
That sounds like a you problem to be honest.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I already have an exploitable system (that I paid through the nose for). What I care about are people just getting into the scene who could have gotten any cheap used system or black Friday deal, who now have to scour the Internet in hopes of finding a rare, overpriced system that's under a certain firmware. It greatly increases the barrier to entry.
Welp, you have toxic communities to thank for that. If you want to resolve the matter, there's where you need to go. Good luck being very convincing.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So TheFlow should give up $10,000 to give whiny children a better chance at getting free games?

k.
So someone wanting to get into console hacking is automatically a whiny child? I don't understand why you would be involved in this site if you don't like people who want to get and hack consoles. I want as many people as possible to have the same opportunity as I did.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
So someone wanting to get into console hacking is automatically a whiny child? I don't understand why you would be involved in this site if you don't like people who want to get and hack consoles. I want as many people as possible to have the same opportunity as I did.
You're extrapolating assumptions from his post. That poster didn't say they don't like people who want to get and hack consoles.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They... they can? There are so many consoles out there < 8.0 now it wouldn't even be worthwhile to mark them up in price, hell you could probably go on facebook market and find a used PS4 dirt cheap they don't even know is under 8.0 because they haven't updated it or touched it in a year or more. There is literally no issue with availability/pricing and you still complain. We all know what you really want.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ps4 homebrew scene is only focused on playing pirated games isn't it? Kinda boring
I would describe it more like lazy, at least for me. Takes much time if you would download a ps4 game, so I get my discs, which I like, and comfort of digital.
But yeah, except some emulators I am not sure if there is something else.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I mean, have you seen the "scene community"? Why do you think TheFlow started disclosing his exploits instead of releasing them publicly as before? Because hordes of little entitled children couldn't help but bitch and moan at TheFlow because he did X or Y or didn't do A or B. If I were the Flow I'd much rather take a big fat check over people like you who seem to think you're entitled to whatever exploit someone spends weeks or months developing "so more people can hack their consoles!"

Ps4 homebrew scene is only focused on playing pirated games isn't it? Kinda boring
There's also PS4 Linux, which gives you basically a fully features Linux distro, including things like working GPU acceleration and such so you can go and install Steam and play some PC games and such.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're toxic.
Yes, I'm clearly the toxic one here...
I mean, have you seen the "scene community"? Why do you think TheFlow started disclosing his exploits instead of releasing them publicly as before? Because hordes of little entitled children couldn't help but bitch and moan at TheFlow because he did X or Y or didn't do A or B. If I were the Flow I'd much rather take a big fat check over people like you who seem to think you're entitled to whatever exploit someone spends weeks or months developing "so more people can hack their consoles!"

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if he'll continue to work on the ps4. this exploit was disclosed about three months ago to sony iirc. until yesterday, it didn't mention what the exploit was, but there hasn't been anything ever sense. afaik, theflow can choose to disclose or not to disclose, so I think he's the reason we have this information now. he may have had to wait, because according to the disclosure agreement, so much time has to have elapsed. and, it's been patched, so no real harm to sony.

anyway, theflow said he was leaving the ps4 scene. he left and found a new exploit for the vita called henlo, which no one seems to know exists other than wololo. playstationhax is what pissed him and why he quit. it's due to the admin saying he sold his soul for disclosing this info to sony, but who the hell would turn down the potential for $50,000? if you have the skills, go for it. it's a win win since he can disclose the exploit, just as long as a reasonable amount of time has passed and he still gets the money.

Yeah, if I turned that in a year ago, I'd have been out of debt so much faster and had more savings than ever in my life!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1