PS3 Softmod Guide - cFW3.55

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials & FAQs' started by Zorua, Feb 28, 2011.

Feb 28, 2011

PS3 Softmod Guide - cFW3.55 by Zorua at 4:04 AM (162,809 Views / 1 Likes) 394 Comments

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    I tried some other games. They lagged a little bit, but nothing like Uncharted 2 which doesn't even load the main menu. However I can't say for sure, because I think you naturally have minor slowdowns on some games. It just seems that the whole console is lagging lately.

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    I just got into PS3 brew world last month since I've bought a SLIM CECH-2001 (buggy PSU, and 65nm RSX yay) so I put a fan as soon as I could. Anyway, since I wanted to enjoy homebrew on it, I had to research and all that..!

So (small story):

WARNING! Spoilers inside!

My ps3 is alive! I hope this could help someone out there who frankly don't wish to see a $250-300 doorstop paperweight
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    For someone who just started last month in the brew world, you did great and seems to know a lot :)

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Yeah haha. I felt the urge to save that $300 piece of genuine hardware. Anyway, glad to join the PS3 world, and i'm learning a lot. Heck I think i'm enjoying more messing around than playing games on PS3.

Thx Cyan

Nujui I need something to do.

Message Count:
    United States
    I've been away from the ps3 scene for awhile, and was wondering if there were any updates on downgrading? I had a NAND chip instead of a NOR, so I was stuck waiting for a downgrade solution. Was wondering if anything new came up.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    I though NAND and NOR was both working fine. maybe I didn't read correctly as I didn't need a downgrade.
    You can downgrade only up to your first console's firmware. You can use the MinVerChk homebrew to check which one it is.

Coto Challenge Taken.

Message Count:
    Chile
    Yeah of course. NAND on PS3 (phat) is 2x 128MB (two chips containing mirrored CoreOS files, pre-vsh.). E3 flasher has a NOR (16MB) solderless solution, and also a NAND socket with the solder points of PS3's onboard NAND so you can reflash them in tandem with any E3 Flasher unit.

But I haven't tried, and I know some people using infectus/progskeet on their PS3 phat models having much more success. (downgrading/backup/restore/brick fixing)

edit: E3 flasher has several "updates" around, you'll need those labeled as "Samsung" since all NAND on PS3 phat are Samsung (At least, all NAND's PS3 i've heard of). And you can easily downgrade from 4.11 to 3.55 or base ofw

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    So, does anyone have any clue about the situation with the drive?

Bryon15 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    My PS3 is 4.21 Can it be softmodded? I'm guessing no, but I thought I should ask anyway.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    only 3.55
    it's written everywhere in that forum's section that it's 3.55 ONLY.
    You can't hack a PS3 past 3.55 if it's a new one
    You can hack a PS3 past 3.55 if it's an old one, but you need to solder a modchip to downgrade the NAND/NOR chipset. I doubt a lot of users want/can do it.

Selim873 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Damn that sucks... :\ I've always wanted to have emulators on a PS3, at least I can play PS1 games. PS3 Slim can play PS1 games right? The cheapest PS3 I can find with all the cords and a controller is a slim.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    Yes, all PS3 model can play PS1 games, according they are retail disc and from your region (I suppose they didn't made PS1 region free, but I may be mistaken, I didn't try).

Windaga New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm sure you've all seen them out there, but there are a few places that have "Jailbreak's" for 4.21/4.20. Does anyone know if there's any truth behind it? One site that I've come across (found by googling "4.21 ps3 jailbreak), claims that you can "jailbreak" your ps3 by following these steps :

I figure I would confirm it here, so that I can tell a few friends of mine if there's anyway to hack their ps3 without splitting it open - this doesn't work, does it? It seems farrr to easy for something like this to work. There are a fair amount of views on the website itself, less on the youtube install video (it's on the main website, I didn't link to it because it links back to their website, which contains files which I would assume to be not allowed here) - I just wouldn't ever think it'd be this easy.
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    There's no way to sign anything past 3.55, so all custom firmware above 3.55 are fake and can brick the console.
    At best, they are just 3.55 custom firmware with a faked (spoof) version number displayed in the setting.
    Do not try to install any custom firmware above 3.55 without asking here first, and for any 3.55 you can ask too.

It seems "faaaar to easy", but it's the way 3.55 are working too.
    It's like a simple firmware update. You put the file on USB, go to update menu and load it. that's all :)

godreborn New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    there's no such thing as jailbreak beyond 3.55.

Windaga New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah, I figured. Thanks for the heads up - that just saved some intense headaches and long phone calls.

I was looking into hacking my old phat ps3, but I'm not very confident with my console opening abilities. I'll likely just wait until more progress is made, if any is made. I'll just be sure not to update it anymore.

Selim873 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thank God I cancelled that download! I haven't bought a PS3 yet but I almost took the bait, good thing I came here. I'm about to buy a phat 40GB, can't even wait to order it! :D I'm sick and tired of the X360, though I'm a bit late for the CFW party. :\ I used to be a hardcore PSP CFW user back in the day. :)
    • Newcomer

zavlin New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    ps3 newb here. Any tips to what model and where i should buy a ps3 that wont have fw past 3.55?

ankc New Member

Message Count:
    Mauritius
    Does all back ups work on modded ps3?
    • Global Moderator

Message Count:
    France
    only old model will have a firmware bellow 3.55 (like PhatPS3, or slim up to the PSMove Demo disc pack, released near September 2010)
    If on of these console have a firmware past 3.55, there's a way to downgrade them using a hardware NOR/NAND flasher (but it requires soldering skills).

Newer consoles can't be downgraded at all.

You will have more chance to buy a used PS3 already hacked than finding a new one on an old firmware.

@ankc:
    Backups used to depend on the firmware you used. New games had new encryption key which required patches to play on old console firmware.
    But it's now possible to install a custom firmware at the same version than the latest official firmware (4.30/4.31) so the games don't need patches anymore.

If a game is not working, it's because it's incompatible with the gameManager and/or launch method.
    You can see a list of backup compatibility here: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS3_Backup_Compatibility_List

Some game haven't been tested yet.
    Other games are marked as not working, but it might be an old report because there's no precision on which cfw/Manager it was tested on.