King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wtf.gif
blink.gif

That's impossible. Nobody went to the midnight launches (the ones that weren't cancelled due to lack of interest, that is) and today when I went into town they had stock in Virgin, GAME and Argos. It's not like they had thousands either, I know one of the people who works in Argos and he told me they had an allocation of 100 consoles, but they've still got live stock a few days after launch. That 'record breaking' statistic smacks of bullshit to me.

Edit: It should also be noted that you still can't find Wii stock anywhere here.

cartman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well put Bowser , i think its a load of bullcrap too 160,000 , i very much doubt those figures , i live in Manchester UK and everywhere have PS3's in stock, my mate works at HMV in Manchester , aside from the 10 preorders they had they were allocated 50 PS3 on launch day , only 6 sold
unsure.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well put Bowser , i think its a load of bullcrap too 160,000 , i very much doubt those figures , i live in Manchester UK and everywhere have PS3's in stock, my mate works at HMV in Manchester , aside from the 10 preorders they had they were allocated 50 PS3 on launch day , only 6 sold
unsure.gif
Think what you like, they are figures from Gametrack who are very reliable and Sony who...well you know.

I mean really who gives a crap? I no longer do.

shaffaaf27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok, think about this. the wii has been low in suppyl why. because nintendo need to send it out over the world every week. because of this, there are not many console being sent to the uk, only a feww a week.

but the ps3 has had 5 motnhs to stock up for europe, so the uk has loads. the stock is plentiful, and if you see console on the streets then it measn they have enough supply to go around.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Over in France (or at least in my hometown), the game stores are frantic to GET RID of the PS3s, as most of the preorders were not collected upon release.
One storeowner of a "score game" (it's a chain, maybe as popular as micromania, the french leader I think) told me they were re-selling the preorders. So apparently, you spend 50 euros to get your pre-order ticket which you then use to get your PS3. Which SITS ON THE FUCKING COUNTER.

tl;dr : one missed pre-order, re-sold, then checked in = THREE SALES PER SYSTEM

Even with ample stock, they managed to turn it into a fucking mess. Good job, sony, you're on the verge of treating europe as shittily as nintendo has always done.

Good job.

blackjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
From www.ukresistance.co.uk :

It's a simple fact that PS3 has not sold. 165k is a lie.

Edit: It really seems wierd to hear that the ps3 is selling well. Stores here are loaded with ps3,
really no way to shift those blocks.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
It's a lie, I'm positive about it too.
My friend's sister runs a video games shop, and she said PS3 barely sells, and that they got a call from Sony telling them to create fake preorders, which they had to do. I've already seen similar stories on GBAtemp too. Most of their preorders were fake, and Sony are using these fakes too boost their sales figures.
... all I know, all I've seen makes me tend to believe these figures are erroneous. UKresistance.co.uk shares my opinion...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The news I reported was from charttrack.co.uk and Charttrack are a independent company that monitors sales of videogame hardware and software.

It does seem very odd that though no one has actually seen people queing up for it, and that people who have friends in shops say that they've hardly shifted any (I know two people who havent even seen one sold, and one of those are full time).

I dont really know how stores report news of whats sold what and how this info gets to Charttrack. Perhaps it is Sony UK creating fake pre-orders to create a buzz about it being a sought after console, it would make sense seeing that there's hardly an buzz about PS3 here

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading the UKresistance site. The whole midnight launch thing seems really, really lonely. That said, I was listening to the radio where they were talking about the PS3 and they got one of the viewer to call in to talk about it and when the caller mentioned that the controller can sense motion the Dj immediately said, "Oh... you mean like the Wii?". Cue awkward silence and him saying, "yeah... but THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME".

Two things that will make me want to pick one up.

1. Softmod/modchip hack or an Xbox Media Center type homebrew
2. Little Big Planet

And even then, I'd just import it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Three things that would make me buy it (if all three were to be true):

1) A softmod 7 modchip
2) A price drop to $250
happy.gif

3) Little Big Planet.

So far, only the third thing looks fairly certain.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still think sony have paid people to publish incorrect figures. They stand to loose too much money if the PS3 doesn't work out. With the Wii and the Xbox 360 you couldn't get one at launch, even if you waited a day or two to pre order. The wii you still have problems getting hold of in the UK.

The PS3 you could always get on a guaranteed pre order and sony arn't known for sending out loads of consoles. You can still buy them online without a problem. I was in town the other day and GAME and Gamestation had loads in and you could go into the shop and buy one.

Sony will deserve it if the PS3 isn't a sucess. They made us wait 12 months for it (15 if you live in the UK). In all that time they haven't got the console working 100% and most of the games are last years xbox 360 releases like fight night round 3. The games are £50 each as well which is way too expensive.

Not coming with a HDMI cable so you can watch HD movies and play the games in HD right away doesn't help them either. With charging £425 for the PS3 you would think the tight sods would have been able to throw in a £10 cable.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how 6 months ago, I thought that the PS3 will be the sell out and people will buy the Wii as one of those "consoles you get while waiting for PS3 to come in stock". Now it feels like the opposite. Either Sony REALLY did manage to make a lot of consoles to satisfy the launch... or like what the others here are saying, just bribed and lied. I still don't have the next gen consoles.... dammit Nintendo why must your factory works have LUNCHBREAKS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i heard obs makes gd lag alot