Hacking PS3 4.81 exploit to be released by Christmas

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly didn't understand any of that. Sorry.

The PS3 stores the firmware version in the NAND/NOR memory. That's why you can't throw a new HDD into a system that was previously on the latest firmware and expect to throw 3.55 firmware on it.

That's where DB firmware comes in. It allows you to install whatever firmware you want regardless of what the NAND/NOR memory is saying. (Haven't been in the PS3 game in a while, despite owning a CFW PS3.) So the HDD that has the DB firmware installed is able to be updated to the latest OFW firmware (Without updating the NAND/NOR memory(?) or by spoofing it temporarily(?) while the other HDD can be used for CFW.

EDIT: Looks like I was almost spot on from what Zero said. I'd really hate to have to wipe my drive each time I wanted to go from CFW to OFW.

Last edited by Devin,
Reactions: Zero72463

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 stores the firmware version in the NAND/NOR memory. That's why you can't throw a new HDD into a system that was previously on the latest firmware and expect to throw 3.55 firmware on it.

That's where DB firmware comes in. It allows you to install whatever firmware you want regardless of what the NAND/NOR memory is saying. (Haven't been in the PS3 game in a while, despite owning a CFW PS3.) So the HDD that has the DB firmware installed is able to be updated to the latest OFW firmware (Without updating the NAND/NOR memory(?) or by spoofing it temporarily(?) while the other HDD can be used for CFW.

Yes almost, if 4.82 came out you couldn't just update the DB OFW like that. Of course you could (since nothing is stopping you unlike normal CFW), but you would lose CFW after that because the NAND/NOR would be updated. DB OFW is just OFW, but flash is modified (Using MFW Builder) so you can go back to the same firmware CFW. No spoofing or anything like that there is very minimal file changes in DB OFW. That is so it very closely resembles normal OFW.

What will this exploit be able to do? Install pirated games? Multiman? LINUX?

I was wondering the same thing, they said you can get your IDPS with it.

Last edited by Zero72463,

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes almost, if 4.82 came out you couldn't just update the DB OFW like that. Of course you could (since nothing is stopping you unlike normal CFW), but you would lose CFW after that because the NAND/NOR would be updated. DB OFW is just OFW, but flash is modified (Using MFW Builder) so you can go back to the same firmware CFW. No spoofing or anything like that there is very minimal file changes in DB OFW. That is so it very closely resembles normal OFW.

I reread the link to the DB firmware that KiiWii posted and that makes a lot more sense. Definitely a cheaper alternative than a eSata station. I personally don't have a use for PSN but it's nice to know that if for some reason I did that I could access it.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know what that means.

This is the console ID. If Sony banned your console they would block the IDPS from connecting to Sony servers. If you changed it you would be allowed back on their servers. Don't confuse it would PSID though (completely different thing, irrelevant right now).

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is why you need two HDDs. One HDD is for the CFW you decide to use and the other is for the "OFW" (DualBoot FW) you are using. Of course you CAN use 1 HDD, but that would require deleting all traces of CFW (apps, mods, etc) when switching to the DualBoot which is basically impossible and too hard. When you install the CFW the "system memory" (I think you mean NAND/NOR) is modified for that CFW and when you switch to the DualBoot FW the NAND/NOR is changed again to look VERY similar to OFW almost exactly identical. So you practically NEED 2 hdds. It's honestly the cheapest method out there though. System memory and the HDD are two different things and like @KiiWii said part of the FW is installed to the system memory, but not the entire firmware itself.
What if I just start with no mods or games? I want to dual boot right off the bat.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I just start with no mods or games? I want to dual boot right off the bat.

Good question, well you need a CFW/3.55 installed first to do this. I suppose maybe you could install a CFW then wipe the hard drive, put it in the PS3 and then let it update to the dualboot and that way you can always go back to CFW? I wouldn't recommend you try it, but just a thought. Maybe you could not install anything on the CFW then update to DB OFW.

What is the point of this though? If you aren't gonna use the functions of the CFW in the first place why dualboot when you can just stay on OFW 4.81? Best option is 2 HDDs, buying another one isn't that expensive trust me.

Gary Hamilton

Trophies
XP
Country
PS3 firmware installs to the hdd as well as the nand/nor.

A mismatch will not load/force you to update.

DB firmware just lets you be able to install FW over firmware without downgrade. But conditions mean hdd is required.
Can you have the DB firmware on the same HDD with my backups on it?

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question, well you need a CFW/3.55 installed first to do this. I suppose maybe you could install a CFW then wipe the hard drive, put it in the PS3 and then let it update to the dualboot and that way you can always go back to CFW? I wouldn't recommend you try it, but just a thought. Maybe you could not install anything on the CFW then update to DB OFW.

What is the point of this though? If you aren't gonna use the functions of the CFW in the first place why dualboot when you can just stay on OFW 4.81? Best option is 2 HDDs, buying another one isn't that expensive trust me.
Could I use two partitions on an HDD? Or, backtracking, do I need an HDD to use CFW in general? Or can I use a big SD to load stuff like with Wii/U/3DS?

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I use two partitions on an HDD? Or, backtracking, do I need an HDD to use CFW in general? Or can I use a big SD to load stuff like with Wii/U/3DS?

PHAT PS3 models accept SD cards, but I am not sure if they can be used the way you want. Yes you need an HDD to use CFW and to actually run the PS3. If you could even make two partitions (which will not work with this) and you switched from OFW to CFW vice verca how would you through software switch back to CFW? The DB FW would need to be modified in a way that isn't really making it OFW anymore since it has a modification like that. You just need 2 HDDs dude, sorry right now it's the only way. Anything else is expensive.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PHAT PS3 models accept SD cards, but I am not sure if they can be used the way you want. Yes you need an HDD to use CFW and to actually run the PS3. If you could even make two partitions (which will not work with this) and you switched from OFW to CFW vice verca how would you through software switch back to CFW? The DB FW would need to be modified in a way that isn't really making it OFW anymore since it has a modification like that. You just need 2 HDDs dude, sorry right now it's the only way. Anything else is expensive.
Okay. I suppose I won't use DB then, since I hardly play online anyway. How big does the HDD have to be? Does it even have to be a HDD? Can I use a 16GB USB stick? And what exactly would I put on the HDD? Homebrew apps? Themes? Mods?

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm running the server.py for an hour and 5 minutes and so far, my PS3 Slim (2004B) hasn't dumped its IDPS.
Hmm, wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.