kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
last line of slims and fats (afaik) are not capable of loading free mcboot as sony closed the exploit it uses.

and you would know a slim ps2 if you saw it

*taken from wikipedia*

A more recent development (May 2008) called Free McBoot allows homebrew programs to be launched without a trigger disc required by the older exploit. This also allows use of homebrew on unmodded systems without a functional disc drive. However, installation of the exploit to each individual memory card requires an already exploited/modded system in order to launch the installer. Copying from one memory card to another will not work. This newer exploit will not work on the very newest PS2s (SCPH-9000x model with BIOS 2.30 and up) but will work on all models prior to that.

this i have found to be true in the wild
why would fats not be capable of loading free mcboot? I'm not knowledgeable about this info but didn't sony stop making fats after they started making slims, so I don't have to worry about ps2 fats being freemcboot-resistant?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only 9000X slims with a datecode of 8C are resistant to it. Everything else it works on. You can buy a fat ps2 without worry.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea how to fix a non-working usb port on a PS2? It never recognizes any flash drive i put in it. So I can't even install fmcboot!

Generally flash drives do not work with the PS2's USB ports. I keep a couple of ancient 128MB and 256MB flash drives just for this reason, I kid you not I probably have a dozen other flash drives ranging from 1GB to 16GB and not a single one of those work.

Edit: In case my post was not clear the 128MB and the 256MB ones do work, but they are the only ones I have found that do work.

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, one thing I'm confused about is how to get apps onto the memory card? I mean, do I have to like buy a PS2 memory to usb adaptor or something?

Also, I heard you can play ps2 games in hd, is that true, like force it or something? It was ethier hd or widescreen. I might have mixed the two words up.

And is buying a $5 64mb third party card off ebay a bad idea. I probably won't even need that much space but I was wondering if anyone has expierence with third party memory cards an can say if they are reliable or not. I could just use that 5 dollars instead to get an official 8mb memory card from my local store if that's the better option.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is buying a $5 64mb third party card off ebay a bad idea. I probably won't even need that much space but I was wondering if anyone has expierence with third party memory cards an can say if they are reliable or not. I could just use that 5 dollars instead to get an official 8mb memory card from my local store if that's the better option.

There are some officially licensed 3rd party PS2 cards that are just as reliable as Sony's own, but they'll have the official PS2 logo on them and say MAGIC GATE on them.

PS2 doesn't even support cards bigger than 8mb, so instead you wind up switching between multiple 8mb pages, which is a hassle even without getting into the whole reliability thing, which with unlicensed cards like that is a total crapshoot.

IMO, save your money and get an official card.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, one thing I'm confused about is how to get apps onto the memory card? I mean, do I have to like buy a PS2 memory to usb adaptor or something?

Also, I heard you can play ps2 games in hd, is that true, like force it or something? It was ethier hd or widescreen. I might have mixed the two words up.

1. FreeMCBoot installs itself and several useful apps to your memory card. The easiest way to run apps on PS2 is from a USB stick - I guess you will have to find a compatible one. (you probably can run apps from an internal hdd for phats but I'm not sure)

One of the most useful programs that is installed is called uLaunchElf. It is a file browser/launcher. You can use it to copy apps, saves, etc to and from your memory card.

2. There are several things you can do here. You of course at least need component cables to output anything above 480i. This app (mentioned before in this thread) http://psx-scene.com/forums/f291/gs-mode-selector-development-feedback-61808/ allows you to force 480p,720p,1080i/p. However, not all games will work with it and all the modes. These are also only forcing the vertical dimension.

There are several ways to patch a game to widescreen. There are CodeBreaker codes, ps2RD codes, or Hex editing either the iso or the .elf executable inside. It is worth mentioning that only the hex editing method works with the force progressive program.
Methods mentioned here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f293/ps2-widescreen-hack-codebreaker-ps2rd-codes-only-103096/

3. I'd just get a Sony 8MB card. If you use a backup loader with a HDD, you can use virtual memory cards, which give you plenty of space.

4. If you're wanting to do backup loading, Open PS2 Loader (OPL) is probably the best backup loader for USB and SMB. OPL also supports internal HDD. (HDLoader maybe comparable for internal HDD but I haven't tried it) The phat PS2 has the advantage of being able to install a HDD that you can hack and put backups on, which can be complicated, but it loads faster than from disc. (You have to deal with specialized formatting and whatnot) The slim PS2 comes with a network adapter that you can use to run games over the network, but you will probably need a direct crossover cable connection to the PS2 to avoid games crashing from losing packets of data. Network loading is only slightly slower than using a disc. With either phat or slim, you can do USB loading, but it is very slow and FMVs will be choppy. With the SMB or USB solutions, you can use iso files.

Unlike the Wii scene, what I've seen of the PS2 scene is pretty convoluted and unorganized and you'll probably need more info than these general things I've mentioned here.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
There are some officially licensed 3rd party PS2 cards that are just as reliable as Sony's own, but they'll have the official PS2 logo on them and say MAGIC GATE on them.

PS2 doesn't even support cards bigger than 8mb, so instead you wind up switching between multiple 8mb pages, which is a hassle even without getting into the whole reliability thing, which with unlicensed cards like that is a total crapshoot.

IMO, save your money and get an official card.

Complete bullshit. I have a 32mb memory in my ps2 that works fine.

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That 32MB is needed though. I noticed that after I installed Free MCBoot, a couple of gamesaves, and one emulator it became full. It's good to have more than one anyway.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
(HDLoader maybe comparable for internal HDD but I haven't tried it)

Think of HDLoader as the pre-cursor to OPL. It's maintained by many of the same people who updated HDL and offers greater compatibility options and is updated regularly. Of course HDL worked fine with about 97% of PS2 games, more with patches, but problematic games like Shadow Hearts Covenant or Valkyrie Profile Silmeria should work fine on OPL.

That being said it's also a good idea to have both available to you on your Memory Card/USB/HDD as they both have different compatibilities and what may fail on OPL (without tinkering) may work on HDLoader.

Unlike the Wii scene, what I've seen of the PS2 scene is pretty convoluted and unorganized and you'll probably need more info than these general things I've mentioned here.

The PS2 softmod scene (not chips) used to be mega organised amongst a relatively small bunch of sites, primarily because there were very few options. It's just with time that things have been made more confusing for people as fewer people use PS2's these days and often a level of familiarity is assumed. PSX-Scene and SKSApps are great places to go if you need help. Say hello to JNABK, McBeth, Bootleg and amp for me when you visit! :D

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
That 32MB is needed though. I noticed that after I installed Free MCBoot, a couple of gamesaves, and one emulator it became full. It's good to have more than one anyway.
Darn it, I already bought a $5 8mb card. Was that a bad idea? Also, would a 32gb usb work with the ps2?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Darn it, I already bought a $5 8mb card. Was that a bad idea? Also, would a 32gb usb work with the ps2?
Basically you can make backups of your saves. If you ever need more space on the card, just whip the not needed save to a flash drive. You can also make a virtual memory card on your HDD if you need it. I've got a few 8 MB cards (original Sony 8MB cards, but they were cheap at the local supermarket), but rarely have the need for swapping them or changing cards. I've got a 500GB HDD hooked up in my PS2 and that's enough space for a huge amount of stuff regarding saves.

Also do make a copy of the FMCB as the international/all consoles compatible. Otherwise the other PS2 may not recognize the FMCB. Happened to me, but luckily my brother had a PS2 too which was compatible with the FMCB installed on the card.

EDIT: Also regarding emulators, I'd prefer not to use the PS controller for N64. It does have all the needed buttons, but the button locations are a pain for the N64. Just like pretty much any controller though the GC controller does an OK job for it.

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So, basically I should get an internal hardrive for the ps2 if I want to play with faster load speeds and don;t have to constantly switch discs, right? Do I need anything else besides the harddrive if I'm getting a fat ps2?

I heard a external hdd is slower than running from disc, is that true?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So, basically I should get an internal hardrive for the ps2 if I want to play with faster load speeds and don;t have to constantly switch discs, right? Do I need anything else besides the harddrive if I'm getting a fat ps2?

I heard a external hdd is slower than running from disc, is that true?
A network adapter and compatible PATA HDD. Sometimes you may have to mod the Network adapter to work with your particular HDD. I've got my 500 GB HDD and I had to remove pretty much everything else except the actual electronic parts of the adapter. Not that it matters or changes anything. Works like a charm :)

USB loading is slow since the PS2 only has USB1.1. That leads to quite a large portion of games not working. Some games do work.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Sometimes you may have to mod the Network adapter to work with your particular HDD. I've got my 500 GB HDD and I had to remove pretty much everything else except the actual electronic parts of the adapter.

Western Digital?

kirbymaster go for a Seagate or a Maxtor IDE and you won't need to worry about connection problems.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Western Digital?

kirbymaster go for a Seagate or a Maxtor IDE and you won't need to worry about connection problems.

Yup. It was pretty much the only option left to me at the time. I got it new (sealed) and the price was right. Maxtor or Seagate drives weren't available or were priced at ridiculous prices if I found any :P

It wasn't that big an operation in the end, but it still had to be done :3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll give you a present by tying up ancientboi for you