Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
was just alerting people to a new ver that came out for upgrading

my only complaint about FreeMCBoot is no HDD support
had to waste about 3MB on my MC for it and HDL, COGSWAP, and uLe(well that was already on there
smile.gif
)

I know there is USB support but still uLe has had HDD support for a while now, it be expected of it
only can hope for support in an update, how frequently is it updated?

Can't you use HDLoader from the FreeMCBoot method? Also, how do you run burned games once you installed FMCB?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea but I was looking to store those big elf files on to the HDD
like HDL.elf is about 600kb or so, I could just store that elf on the HDD then shortcut it to the menu to start just like you can do with uLe

I just use COGSWAP because its simple, there is also SWAPMAGIC v3.8 coder elf out there

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All right. I've been fighting with this thing for about three or four hours now.

I've followed the instructions using FREE_MC_LOADER or whatever. Okay, so it shows up in my AR MAX file browser. So I run it....and blackscreen.

I try the other methods. Oh dear, they don't even show up at all in the menu! SWAPMAGIC and FCEUltra.elf are nowhere to be found, but they're in the USB stick. What's weird is that not even regular .mp3 files are showing up here anymore. They were earlier, and I formatted the stick. Bad move on my part, right?

What else can I do to get this running? I'm on a Slim PS2, using some Kingston DataTraveler 256MB USB stick. Oh, and Action Replay MAX, but not the Evo version despite the fact it seems to run exactly like it (just mine didn't come with the stick already).

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Doomsday Forte said:
All right. I've been fighting with this thing for about three or four hours now.

I've followed the instructions using FREE_MC_LOADER or whatever. Okay, so it shows up in my AR MAX file browser. So I run it....and blackscreen.

I try the other methods. Oh dear, they don't even show up at all in the menu! SWAPMAGIC and FCEUltra.elf are nowhere to be found, but they're in the USB stick. What's weird is that not even regular .mp3 files are showing up here anymore. They were earlier, and I formatted the stick. Bad move on my part, right?

What else can I do to get this running? I'm on a Slim PS2, using some Kingston DataTraveler 256MB USB stick. Oh, and Action Replay MAX, but not the Evo version despite the fact it seems to run exactly like it (just mine didn't come with the stick already).

Is the USB stick FAT32 formatted? Because that worked for me.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jax said:
Is the USB stick FAT32 formatted? Because that worked for me.
Haha, I was just getting ready to ask that. No, but when I formatted it to FAT32, it seemed like it wouldn't show up at all. ..let me do that real fast, hang on. I might as well try to be as sure as sure before I give up for the night. =P

Gonna throw in other files to see if they show up at all too.

Edit: Okay, formatted the stick to FAT32 and put the newest Free McBoot on the stick (the .ELF in the root and the INSTALL folder too), and once again, the only two files that show up are the MCBOOT.ELF and the config inside of INSTALL. None of the MP3 files showed up again. And needless to say, it blackscreened again.

What next, please?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Three Questions

1. Is COGSWAP the best and easiest way to play burned PS2 games using the FMCB method?
2. Will FMCB start up when you launch the PS2 without a disk in so you can access HDLoader and stuff?
3. What are ulaunchELF and ESR and do I need them?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
Three Questions

1. Is COGSWAP the best and easiest way to play burned PS2 games using the FMCB method?
2. Will FMCB start up when you launch the PS2 without a disk in so you can access HDLoader and stuff?
3. What are ulaunchELF and ESR and do I need them?

1. Once you have FMCB on the memory card, you can use ESR or HDLoader, which mean no swapping required. That is by far the best way to play a game.
2. Yes. However, the memory card must be in the memory card slot as that is where the files are located.
3. ulaunch is an alternative filebrowser for the ps2, it allows you to access the memory card, dvd drive, external drives, and allows you to load .elf files. ESR is a type of backuploader. However, the isos need to be patched first.

QUOTE(Mei-o @ Oct 20 2008, 07:00 PM) Question, what does the ESR patcher do exactly? Do I also need to patch the ISO for a hardmodded PS2 30000 model?

ESR allows loading of DVD-Video discs. By patching the game, it gets turned into a DVD-Video disc which bypasses the security sector on the disc allowing it to load.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, sending is not an option, sorry. =P

I'm using a...MAX MEMORY 16MB Memory Card judging by the label. It hasn't really given me any problems thus far, but...there's this piece of "Corrupted Data" that I can't delete in either AR Max or the PS2 system thing. Would formatting the card and then trying to redo this softmod work?

Might as well attempt to hammer out every single possibility. I need to see if anyone I know has a PS2 memory card I can borrow...

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well...no, that's the thing. None of the .elfs run thus far have worked (only blackscreened). My memory card is almost empty now, and I'm not understanding why the other .elfs aren't even showing up on my USB stick while looking at it in the Max Media Player. Following the FMCB tutorial, it lists a few alternative methods when using the AR Max EVO, but those are already rendered useless because they don't even show up! Doing SWAPMAGIC.elf in the SWAPMAGIC folder does nothing, and FCEUltra.elf apparently isn't there though my USB stick says otherwise.

I presume that the Max Memory format does the same as what you listed above. If all else fails, I'll give that a whirl, and we'll see what happens. I'm having a friend visit tomorrow with an official 8MB Sony memcard, so if that doesn't work, then I'm going to put more blame on my USB stick.

It is interesting to note that the other .elf files and the .mp3s appeared in Max Media Player from my USB stick before I formatted it. Hrmm...

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haha, whoops, sorry. I didn't download your pack yet since I wanted to get everything straighten out before I do the whole procedure. My bad.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
MiniMoose64 said:
This works great! Nice tutorial!

Could I use this to play PSX back-ups, and play imported PS2 (original disk) games this way?
PSX: Nope.
Real imported PS2 games: Yes and no, you will need to copy them to your computer and convert them before.

Thank you for nice (unlike some people *points at jalaneme*) your comments.

QUOTE(Link5084 @ Oct 21 2008, 07:43 PM) Haha, whoops, sorry. I didn't download your pack yet since I wanted to get everything straighten out before I do the whole procedure. My bad.
That's fine
wink.gif
. Anything more you want to ask?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Wb1DdEdrGSE?si=b0bLxJi6sW6_RSxy