PS2 emulator AetherSX2 removed from Google Play Store

unnamed.png

The highly controversial PlayStation 2 emulator for Android devices, AetherSX2, has been removed from the Google Play Store starting from March 10th, 2024.

This doesn't come as a surprise for many, though, as the AetherSX2 emulator halted development entirely back in 2023, with the developer specifically mentioning the "neverending impersonating, complaints, demands, and now death threats". Although, it took almost a year for the actual emulator app to be taken down from the Play Store, following the discontinuation of the project.

While AetherSX2 has suspended development a long time ago, and the Play Store will no longer offer the emulator, there's currently a community effort put into patching certain the latest available AetherSX2 version into a better and more developed application, following the original creator stepping down from the project. This new version is titled "NetherSX2", and has been going strong for the past year for those still seeking to have a followup to the AetherSX2 project.

:arrow: Source

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
NetherSX2 is like a revanced app.

Why patching the AetherSX2? I dont undestand it.I prefer the NetherSX2 to be a standlone apk and nothing to connect to AetherSX2.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

SDA

Shame Yourself
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This time it was the community's fault, not the big company's. Much like that time when an English patch for a PlayStation game, Germs: Nerawareta Machi was released, and so many people ranted over it that the author had to delete it from download.

Unforgivable if I do say so myself.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This time it was the community's fault, not the big company's. Much like that time when an English patch for a PlayStation game, Germs: Nerawareta Machi was released, and so many people ranted over it that the author had to delete it from download.

Unforgivable if I do say so myself.
At some point devs have to stop doing things for the community and just do it because they want to and enjoy it. You can’t please everyone, and it really seems there will always be antagonists somewhere.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Death threats? Who tf is sending that shit and why??

It's just unnecessary hate.
I’ve gotten death threats on GBAtemp from some crack head. I was getting death threats on Twitter for being a VTuber. I literally got a death threat on YouTube because someone assumed I am a trans woman. People on the internet are unhinged and unhealthy.

Last edited by The Catboy,

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd rather use a downgraded APK of before AetherSX2 introduced ads, instead of using that trash calling itself NetherSX2, even though I despise the dev of AetherSX2 for being so pathetic to not being able to ignore people.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always a shame seeing these projects disappear but at least a follow-up exists. Sad that this wasn't even brought down by litigation like yuzu but instead community turmoil.
It's especially interesting seeing the Yuzu situation wasn't just a random target. Like looking into it I cannot say I am shocked in the absolute slightest. That project had some clear management issues that caused it's downfall. However its seeming like it has scared away a bunch of other devs.

tcrtk

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hope pirate wins over the big Company original emulator is best anyway why they must take everything down like xbox retail modu its stupid i mean that so now I must pay for dev mode how to do that without computer? I have only phone and xbox to do with

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hope pirate wins over the big Company original emulator is best anyway why they must take everything down like xbox retail modu its stupid i mean that so now I must pay for dev mode how to do that without computer? I have only phone and xbox to do with
Idk what did you say but i agree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up