GBA and GBC emulator "Pizza Boy" has been removed from the Google Play Store

sadasdasds.png

Yet another emulator bites the dust, in the aftermath of the Tropic Haze/Yuzu vs. Nintendo case. Pizza Boy, a $5.49 paid app on the Google Play Store, has been taken down and is no longer available for purchase. Developer Davide made an announcement post explaining that he has permanently removed his app from the Play Store, citing the reasoning as, "I have chosen to prioritize my family over the development of my apps." With the implication that he has not been forced to delist his emulator, but has chosen to do so as a precaution after other emulator developers have been affected. Currently, several other paid GBA/GBC emulators are still available on the Play Store, including John GBA, My Boy!, and Nostalgia.GBA.

:arrow: Source

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yea they are all cowards...GBC/GBA nobody cares about going after emulators of that in practice but still...

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I feel like these people are becoming cowards.
☝️
Post automatically merged:

No, but do you want to risk being sued, and thus risking your entire livelihood/kid's futures to the whims of a Nintendo lawyer?
no one wants that, but whats the reasoning for that. i mean i see no reason because emulators arent illegal....unless you do illegal stuff with them ang get payed for that.

fear overrides reason and reality in human psychology.
thats exactly what nin10do counts on.

as you (probably) know, yu zu did some shady stuff as i understood myself, so its natural that they retreated. there was no ground for win because they knew they wherent exactly clean from what i read. im interpreting ofc.

honestly?
any emulator being paywalled can get fucked... no sympathy here.
i feel the same.
they should be passion projects imo, motivated solely, and driven by passion alone and love for gaming and coding.
i mean....your husband sleeps with you cause he loves you. if he starts paying you and you acept every time you sleep, there is a term for that.

im not saying devs shouldnt make money, far from it, but not from emulators.
again...if a wife wants money, she should get an actual job and not be payed by her husband for giving her pleasure.

i mean...thats just my current view point about that.
i might be wrong but thats how it is.

emulators are awesome but some lines shouldnt be crossed imo. no reason tbh.
plenty of oportunities to proffit off of, just not emulators and other gray zones.
it should be a matter of principles and pure passion imo.

I am suggesting an additional product which can't be hacked.
i dont think that purpose for it so its unhackable forever, but to delay pirating till it sells.
i see no reason why people cant do whatever they want after the system expires.
i mean sony even let you download ids firmware officially from a website. its not related but i just wanted to say that.

zelda totk made this whol mess imo or at least was a straw.
but tbh its nintendos fault for having bs security. day one hacked with a paperclip.
wii tweezers....
yeah....

What caused Yuzu to be sued wasn't that they charged for it, it was that they detailed how to extract IP protected data under US law, like firmware and keys and that they added detailed support for leaked titles before they came out, which could be argued to promote piracy.
oh poor things. but they said that they DON'T promote the piracy.
also, no emulator EVER promoted piracy. their intended use was always to be usedcin NASA moon landings, piracy was a side effect.
ljg1puyyhxbdjlhhoauw.jpg

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Kairi5431

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No "fuck you" they stole your money....demand refund.
Factually incorrect, it is in your accounts library so long as you have downloaded the free version or bought the paid version before.

I had the paid version, so I cant download that anymore?
To download the app again you need open the play store > then click on your profile in the top right > next make sure you are on the account that owns the app > go to "Manage apps & device" at the top of the list > in the top left select installed if you just need to update it, or not installed if it isn't installed at all > finally scroll to the app and tap on it's icon to get it's store page then download/update it as normal.
Alternatively if you have it installed still, you can just hold down on the app icon and click app info on the pop up, then scroll down and click "App details in store" which will take you to the same page the above steps do.

Reactions: sley

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You know, I'm going to show a different opinion than most, but I've thought a lot about the topic in the last few weeks. In the past, emulation was somewhat more complicated to follow. It wasn't very "mainstream" so to speak, that is, it wasn't easy for a common user to download from a play store or similar, or even from a dedicated website (for example the main page of ppsspp, pcsx2 etc). So whoever wanted to play, had to look for the emulator somewhere, download it, configure it and so on. Nowadays things have become trivial. Emulation has become popular (and not niche like it used to be). In my opinion, this was precisely the reason why companies like Nintendo targeted emulators more. (after all, the common user, the one who understands almost nothing about emulation and who would buy a video game just to turn it on and play, can download and run an emulator in 2 or 3 clicks nowadays)

What I see in these cases where the emulator is taken from a store, but continues to be active and distributed by other means, is precisely a return to the old times. So I don't know. Maybe, and just maybe, this is somehow "good", in the sense that an emulator that isn't in a store isn't as targeted. but of course this is my opinion ;)

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Factually incorrect, it is in your accounts library so long as you have downloaded the free version or bought the paid version before.

To download the app again you need open the play store > then click on your profile in the top right > next make sure you are on the account that owns the app > go to "Manage apps & device" at the top of the list > in the top left select installed if you just need to update it, or not installed if it isn't installed at all > finally scroll to the app and tap on it's icon to get it's store page then download/update it as normal.
Alternatively if you have it installed still, you can just hold down on the app icon and click app info on the pop up, then scroll down and click "App details in store" which will take you to the same page the above steps do.
Totally forgot I could do this. Went ahead and re-downloaded that and another pulled emulator. Nice.

Ducolamia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be fair to say it sucks another option is gone, but honestly, GBA/GBC has so many options for emulation nowadays that unless you're looking for something specific, I can't say I'm too hung up about this. That and mirrors existed for years. It's older emulator so you can at least get a back up from what I've found.
Again, emulators are legal. There's no precedent saying companies are the only ones who are allowed to monetize emulators (especially considering that many of these projects are open source anyways). It's just with Yuzu, some people are getting scared off because they don't want to be the next target. Makes sense that some of these devs would want to avoid that entirely.

jc2wavyyy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm fed up with this, those saying developers are weak for pulling out and what not, screw you and the horse you rode in on. As I have said before, not everyone has a money tree in their backyard to fight legal battles, especially the kind that requires good lawyers and such against a company like Nintendo, and again, some people value their lives more than ones and zeroes. You seem to have some fucked up mental issues if you are this selfish over stupid software. Emulators come and go, you act like another one won't be made in the future. I swear this Yuzu situation is bringing the ugliest crap for people out, and quite frankly you need to go back under the rock you came from and just stay there.

I have no idea why people are becoming more cancerous, but this seriously needs to stop. It's just software for crying out loud, it's not that damn important.
No one cares. This guy knew about Nintendo's dog shit stance on emulation and made the app anyway if you're not gonna stand by your work don't put it out there. These emulators aren't even for the same system and Nintendo has never gone after gba emulators so why would they now? And don't even get me started on how tropical haze didn't even try to dendid themselves. Just layed there and took it

You are right nintendo are the yakuzas of their ip,if you value your liberty,money and life dont make a emulator and sell it to get easy profits.

Want to make a Emulator core from any nintendo console? sure you can make it but dont forget it for the gods sake dont put a price.
Multiple people sell emulators. A lot of them are on the play store. It is 100% legal

Not saying that the devs of these emulators shouldn't be compensated for their hardwork, but making these things 'paid' products doesn't sit well with me.
You should NEVER pay for piracy.
I know that the YUZU/CITRA situation was slightly different, being as it was patreon donations... I just wonder if the outcome might have been different if the patreon donations were linked to the devs githubs rather than the product page for the emu's.
Emulation is not piracy

honestly?
any emulator being paywalled can get fucked... no sympathy here.
They made the code for the emulator so they have every right to charge for it plus there was a free version of the app and the paid version only added skins a month other settings. Now if the roms are paywalled then we have a problem

Last edited by jc2wavyyy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch