Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
SPH73 said:
If Sony doesn't do something to stop this device they can pretty much kiss their developer support goodbye. The same thing happened to PSP and the developers abandoned ship. The system was kept on life support by homebrew, metal gear and monster hunter.

Now the same thing is happening to the PS3, only its much worse this time because PS3 development costs are much higher than they are on other consoles and PC. (For two reasons, difficulty of making PS3 games and cost of the Bluray format.)

Its PSP all over again. Fuck it, this is the PS3 Apocalypse!!!

APOCALYPS3 NAO!

wtf.gif
this gen is nearly over anyway we'll pirate the fuck out of the ps3 and they can release their next console
laugh.gif
Yeah because 2012 is so close, that's such a great reason to steal games...

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
i wonder if sony have called a manhunt yet to try and track down whoever leaked their SDK
laugh.gif

Most likely the dongle they clones was from a dev and has a unique key attached to it. So they're probably revoking the sdk and giving that dev a good fine or two as well.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
i dont understand how though they just can't delete the use of usb ports can they?
maybe they will just make the name backup manager not able to install

Considering that you have to charge your controllers via USB, and that the Playstation Eye uses USB, that's not really a viable option.

Cocytean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if anyone was planning to do the same as others have done with the 360. Namely, have 2 consoles - 1 for modding, and 1 for legit games. If so, is there a way to transfer trophies unlocked from the modded console to the unmodded one like you can on the 360? There it's just a case of copying over your profile to a USB, and sticking it in the other console. Profiles don't transfer that way on the PS3, and trophies need to be synced with the server. I'm guessing that the Backup Manager will be able to be logged by Sony once the user eventually goes online, and then the console banned, much like Microsoft did with those who modded their 360s. Any thoughts?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cocytean said:
I was wondering if anyone was planning to do the same as others have done with the 360. Namely, have 2 consoles - 1 for modding, and 1 for legit games. If so, is there a way to transfer trophies unlocked from the modded console to the unmodded one like you can on the 360? There it's just a case of copying over your profile to a USB, and sticking it in the other console. Profiles don't transfer that way on the PS3, and trophies need to be synced with the server. I'm guessing that the Backup Manager will be able to be logged by Sony once the user eventually goes online, and then the console banned, much like Microsoft did with those who modded their 360s. Any thoughts?

Trophies already sync between consoles

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
Cocytean said:

Trophies already sync between consoles

Right, but it syncs using PSN. He's asking if there would be a solution to transfer his PSN Account between consoles without taking the modified console online.

Cocytean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's exactly it, Hasney. I'm guessing not - the only way would be to go online with the modded console and let trophies sync. Dangerous, no?

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what I'm reading around (not related to the mod), if you have an offline account and you do a backup, the trophies you've earnt do not backup with it. The only way to sync your trophies in that instance is to take it online and sync it.

That's not to say it won't be possible in the future, but right now, it looks like you won't be able to move trophies from an offline account to an online one like you can with the 360.

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
SPH73 said:
If Sony doesn't do something to stop this device they can pretty much kiss their developer support goodbye. The same thing happened to PSP and the developers abandoned ship. The system was kept on life support by homebrew, metal gear and monster hunter.

Now the same thing is happening to the PS3, only its much worse this time because PS3 development costs are much higher than they are on other consoles and PC. (For two reasons, difficulty of making PS3 games and cost of the Bluray format.)

Its PSP all over again. Fuck it, this is the PS3 Apocalypse!!!

APOCALYPS3 NAO!

wtf.gif
this gen is nearly over anyway we'll pirate the fuck out of the ps3 and they can release their next console
laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

... we wont see another gen for at least another 5 years.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hasney said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Hasney said:
Giga_Gaia said:
The thing is, why pay 140$ for this. A method for making your own device with a blank usb stick is obviously possible and coming.

What has made you believe this is possible with a standard blank USB stick?

Because that's what the thing is. Just a normal USB stick with some software on it.

It's using an Atmel ATMEGA 32U4 MCU, basically a mini-processor. You can learn more about it here: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/7766S.pdf

The USB device is doing more than just storing data.

Still, it doesn't mean making one out of a normal usb device is impossible. Beside, this is the first hack and first hacks always suck. A lot more of them will follow. It just take one hack for the others to follow and come out. A USB stick can do exactly those things, so it's very possible to make this from a standard one. Watch and see, once tons of people have the hack, they will mess up with it and do that and even more.

Beside, why pay 140$ for something they stole from Sony in the first place? Not only are they thieves, they take people's money out of it. Also, jailbreak should be free, asking people to pay for this is simply unacceptable. It's only a softmod, it's not even a real mod.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
mezut360 said:
i dont understand how though they just can't delete the use of usb ports can they?
maybe they will just make the name backup manager not able to install

Considering that you have to charge your controllers via USB, and that the Playstation Eye uses USB, that's not really a viable option.
If they want the Playstation Move to work then they better sit down and watch because PM uses the Playstation Eye XD

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Giga_Gaia said:
Not only are they thieves, they take people's money out of it. Also, jailbreak should be free, asking people to pay for this is simply unacceptable. It's only a softmod, it's not even a real mod.
laugh.gif
exactly and all softmods should remain FREE

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
Hasney said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Hasney said:
Giga_Gaia said:
The thing is, why pay 140$ for this. A method for making your own device with a blank usb stick is obviously possible and coming.

What has made you believe this is possible with a standard blank USB stick?

Because that's what the thing is. Just a normal USB stick with some software on it.

It's using an Atmel ATMEGA 32U4 MCU, basically a mini-processor. You can learn more about it here: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/7766S.pdf

The USB device is doing more than just storing data.

Still, it doesn't mean making one out of a normal usb device is impossible. Beside, this is the first hack and first hacks always suck. A lot more of them will follow. It just take one hack for the others to follow and come out. A USB stick can do exactly those things, so it's very possible to make this from a standard one. Watch and see, once tons of people have the hack, they will mess up with it and do that and even more.

Beside, why pay 140$ for something they stole from Sony in the first place? Not only are they thieves, they take people's money out of it. Also, jailbreak should be free, asking people to pay for this is simply unacceptable. It's only a softmod, it's not even a real mod.

From the currently available information, that would be like saying because you've seen a cell phone you should be able to make calls while outside with your home rotary phone. There's nothing about the hack or the hardware itself at this time, that would indicate that simply throwing in a generic usb device would do anything.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Not only are they thieves, they take people's money out of it. Also, jailbreak should be free, asking people to pay for this is simply unacceptable. It's only a softmod, it's not even a real mod.
laugh.gif

I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as a softmod. My impressions from the video are that you have to activate the debug mode everytime you want to play your backups. Thus the dongle isn't just a temporary boot strap to get unsigned code onto the console after which you're home free. It's just a hardware mod that doesn't require you to open up the device. Am I incorrect in this assessment?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
doyama said:
Bladexdsl said:
Giga_Gaia said:
laugh.gif

I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as a softmod. My impressions from the video are that you have to activate the debug mode everytime you want to play your backups. Thus the dongle isn't just a temporary boot strap to get unsigned code onto the console after which you're home free. It's just a hardware mod that doesn't require you to open up the device. Am I incorrect in this assessment?
No. It's a softmod through and through, but a temporary one. Temporary, of course, in the sense that it must be applied every time the PS3 is powered on.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I think it's a hybrid. A hardmod because you're using additional hardware regardless of opening the PS3. However, a softmod because said hardmod uses some special software to modify the PS3 on boot to run unsigned code.

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skyline969 said:
doyama said:
Bladexdsl said:
Giga_Gaia said:
laugh.gif

No. It's a softmod through and through, but a temporary one. Temporary, of course, in the sense that it must be applied every time the PS3 is powered on.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I think it's a hybrid. A hardmod because you're using additional hardware regardless of opening the PS3. However, a softmod because said hardmod uses some special software to modify the PS3 on boot to run unsigned code.

Yeah, from what I've gathered from some of the more technical people in the community, the first stage runs like Sony's hardware jig and the the second stage is a software exploit. Piecing together various data sources, it allegedly goes something like this.

1. PS3 is told to look at USB ports for infomation using the power-eject button sequence

2. USB dongle does a handshake using code run via the MCU (the hardware part)

3. The PS3 expects an authorisation key from the USB device

4. The mod uses some type of exploit to fool the PS3 into thinking that it's sent an auth key.

All in all, I don't think this particular exploit will be able to run on an everyday USB stick. I'd love to be wrong or have another exploit found that can get the same type of effect. All I'm saying is, don't hold your breath. If you're wanting this, I'd probably go with a cheaper clone like the Jailbreak x3 if that turns out to be legit.

I'm interested in the technical side and have looked at prices of the specific chip needed. Shame I can only find bulk prices! But they're available at around $4-5 USD if bought in bulk.

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
petspaps said:
Yer you right on you edit. I think. As the mod doesn't function when the hardwares out. But how temporary is the softmod and what will be the long term effects of it?

I believe Skyline means temporary as in it's gone when you turn the console off again and have to re-run the process. Long-term effects are unknown until someones been running it for the long-term
wink.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
petspaps said:
Yer you right on you edit. I think. As the mod doesn't function when the hardwares out. But how temporary is the softmod and what will be the long term effects of it?
It would be temporary because it no longer works when you turn off your PS3. However, I don't know if it remains in effect if you use the power button or PS button on your controller. I think it means it's in effect until you unplug your console or use the switch on the fat models. I highly doubt there would be any negative effects period, short-term or long-term.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: 80s are the new 20s. +1