Gaming Problems loading homebrew

QuantumFluxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so I just baught a used PSP which had a custom firmware installed on it, 3.80 m33.

Now, I used to own a PSP back at launch, and was around when all the 1.50 homebrew stuff was starting out, and back then stuff worked fine.

Now, I'm having a problem getting homebrew to load with this custom firmware stuff with options coming out the ass in the recovery mode. Whats happening is I'm trying to load the newest SNES9xTYL and I'm getting two different errors depending on what I do. In kernel 1.50 and the emulator placed in my PSP/GAME directory, I recieve error 80020148. If I set the kernel to 3.80, and place the emu in my PSP/GAME150 directory I get error 8002014C.

I'm trying to wrap my head around all this new PSP stuff that I missed after I sold my previous one, getting PSX emulation to work and such. As well as the homebrew, but if things wont boot, whats going on? I tried some googling and there was some suggestions of disabling UMD in the recovery or something, its currently set to 'm33 driver --NO UMD---' which from what i can tell should be working..

HALP!

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried placing the emulator in the PSP/GAME directory and setting the kernal to 3.80? If you have the newest version of SNES9xTYL it most likely runs at the 3.xx kernal instead of the 1.50 kernal anymore. The umd mode shouldn't have anything to do with homebrew.

QuantumFluxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DAX's website? Don't know of it. Like I said I'm just getting back into this today and im having trouble keeping up with all the changes thats happened.

And I tried placing the emu in all of my GAME directories, GAME, GAME150, GAME380, and it didnt work in any of them.

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try downloading the 1.50 kernal for 3.80 from here and put it into your PSP/GAME directory (make sure the kernal is set to 3.80). Then run it on your psp and it will install. This is the 1.50 kernal for 3.80 M33. After that is done installing then put your emulator in the GAME150 folder and try running it on your psp.

Also go under system settings, look at system info and make sure you are on the latest version of 3.80 M33 which is 3.80M33-5. If you aren't, download the 3.80 M33-5 update from the same place and put it in the PSP/GAME directory. Make sure your kernal is set to 3.80 and run it on your psp and let it update.

QuantumFluxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you muchly EvilShenanigans! That solved my problem, though I had to modify it a bit as I had updated to the 3.90 M33 firmware, so I grabbed the 1.50 kernel version 2 for the 3.90 and tried to install, and it told me it was missing 150.PBP, so I googled that, renamed the eboot put it in my root, then installed it and now its working.

Thanks again ES. I was getting a headache trying to figure it out.

QuantumFluxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, now on to my next problem, and its more of a hardware issue so I'm hoping someone can help me out a bit here.

The psp that I got was pretty cheap, and I think its a unit that has been put together using parts of broken units. Now, aside from random scratches on the case, theres one giant gaping problem which smacks me in the face every time I look at the screen. It looks like the LCD has shifted to the left a bit, but thats not entirely true, as I can see that theres screen, underneath the strange bar on the right. I don't know whats causing this, but I was thinking maybe I should open it up and see if something in there has shifted and correct it somehow. But I've not taken apart a PSP before, so I don't know how easy this would be to fix. I've taken some pictures of the problem to give you an idea of what I'm working with, and please disregard the amazing amounts of fingerprints and smudges that my camera apparently picked up with no regard.

Pic 1
Pic2

What kind of work am I looking at here?

EDIT:
Okay I decided to just jump right in and see what was up. After getting the case apart I could see that the problem was a layer of rubber-like substance which borders the entire LCD screen. On the right hand side, it was too far onto the screen itself and not on the metal edge of the screen where it should have been. I don't know if it was like that from shipping, or if whoever I baught the PSP from put that on there themselves, but I had to rip it up and just discard it from the right hand side. I left the border of it all on the top bottom and left sides, just removed the offending part from the right. Screen looks great now, well, as great as can be with all those scratches on the cover. I'm going to have to find or buy a replacement case for it to make the system look like new again. Anyone got any idea where I could pick one up for cheap?

Here is the screen all fixed
Here's the piece of rubber I removed.

QuantumFluxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah I was lookin at dealextreme already. Just grabbed my pandora battery from there, glad its free shipping, cuz now I got two items on route from them. I went with the metallic red faceplate. I found it the least offensive to my eyes since the black ones were twice as expensive for some reason and sold out as you mentioned.

But hey, now my PSP will have the same color scheme as my red and black nintendo DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: shows what you know nobody would ever say that about my mom